Windows 7 Windows 7 constantly Blue Screen'd/Not Genuine?

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C9, {e, f, fffff980177a6c10, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswMonFlt.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswMonFlt.sys
Probably caused by : aswMonFlt.sys ( aswMonFlt+1aea )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hey,

you have quite a few different dump files which is usually a sign of hardware damage. The above is blaming Avast AV and I would have suggested installing MSE but as the Hard drive is down it's a bit pointless. Have you tried pressing F8 whilst booting to enter the advanced boot options? Once open try the setting 'Last good known configuration'. If you get into the system then run a chkdsk making sure you tick boxes to repair sectors.

What happened re the Memtest86 run? I reread your reply above but I couldn't find any results.

Oh and it does sound like your os could be corrupted by the damaged drive and it might not be a good idea to copy anything over.. Although with it being damaged you might not be able to anyway. If you had a backup taken before all this then fine but now I'd start afresh.

The above is blaming Avast AV
Are you freakin' kidding me!? My computer has had a previous problem with this program slowing my computer down. (But that was back when I had only 2GB of RAM, pretty much everything slowed my computer down back then) The problem is, none of my siblings' computers have this problem, and they all have Avast, so I don't think Avast would be an issue without something else, especially if I had temporarily disabled it for solving this issue.

Also, way ahead of you on the Chkdsk. I actually finished running it this morning, then immediately went to the forums.

Nothing seemed too unusual during the Memtest86. It passed 3 times, but I figured, since it went on for hours, that it was just looping checking the disk over and over, so I cancelled it.

And, like I said, the whole "hard drive" transfer is my last resort, so I might maybe just install windows on a new harddrive and copy the non-Windows System files over.

The problem is, though, I've already tried that, and Windows won't even boot on the external drive. I was thinking if I could get another 1000GB drive, then maybe.

There is one thing, though.

A couple days ago, I ran another SFC, and it verified. It passed the test, unlike last time. Didn't complain about any corrupt files. So, either I fixed it somehow, or the SFC is just inconsistant. I'll run it again, as it said it would do something upon start-up, but it didn't really do anything upon start up. (Probably because it blue-screened.) So, I don't know if getting a new hard drive would fix the problem, or create another volume for my computer.

EDIT: After having a talk with my dad, again, he does say that the BSODs caused by the Hard Drive, Driver Verifier, and GPU could all point to a motherboard failure. So, either my motherboard needs a replace, or all these problems are just coincidence and caused all at once by bad mojo. I don't know. This would certainly explain all these system failures popping up out of no where in one day. I think it would even help that be the issue saying I have worked inside the computer a WHOLE LOT recently. (Installing the Ext. Hard Drive, New RAM, Cleaning the Graphics Card fan, cleaning the case fan, cleaning the CPU fan.) Maybe I damaged something by accident, as I recently just carelessly pulled the GPU out forgetting about the tab that's holding it in place. (This was all before the BSOD issue.) I'll check on the mother board. I'm going to make sure it's okay. I know I won't be able to see any real issue with it, side from any cracks or anything. But, I'm just going to take a look at it just in case I REALLY damaged something.

Last edited:
After three to five days, I have yet to have another blue screen. I decided to use it and not do THAT much with it. I'm surprised by how many videos I'm watching, and the computer fails to BSOD at all. It seems to only occur when I plug in a new device, try updates, or plug in the GPU. This might all point to the hardware verifier. Like I said, I remember this all starting after my dad cleaned out the GPU. Now that everything seems to be set to a default, and I can't reinstall updates for the drivers. I now am rethinking the issue. Like I said, the Hard-drive error has started waaaay before this issue, and I never got a real problem with it. Running KNOPPIX with the GPU didn't do much, either, as it ran perfectly fine. This may clear out the Motherboard problem. It may in fact be Avast. Maybe it's doing something to truely "verify" the drivers. I don't have a real theory about it, but I do have a vague "Driver Verifier is Broken" theory. Maybe running the computer without the GPU while it was being cleaned out lead to the Windows Genuine issue being caused. One way or another, I'm not going to point to the harddrive or Motherboard for this issue, yet. I'd hate to reinstall Windows on a new harddrive and find out the problem still occurs. I'd like to clear out any "In-OS" solutions before calling it quits and getting new hardware. Plus, I don't want to buy a new 1TB+ Harddrive, New Motherboard, and new GPU just to have the problem still exist, or I could have solved it for free without reinstalling windows on a new harddrive. I'll get back once I think I've finally run out of ideas. I probably will, too. But, here's for hoping.

Hey,
well if you have no bsod's you must be doing something right so good job on that one and of course if you do need anything then just post. Oh and thanks for updating your thread.

No problem. :)

I'm just a bit worried about putting my graphics card in. I think the reason for crashing with the graphics card in is because of the driver verifier trying to install updates for it, because like I said, it isn't recognized for what it is. Neither is my monitor, as even with the graphics card, I can't set it to full resolution.

My options are naturally suppose to go from 600x800 - 1600x900, but instead, I have the following:
1920x1400
1856x1392
1600x1200
1400x1050
1280x1024 (The highest I can go without it complaining about "input not being supported.")
1152x864
1024x768
800x600

Which instead of my display name being the normal, "ACER G205HV", it says "(Default Monitor) on" as if it doesn't know the driver for my Acer monitor, anymore.

Anything on this? You think I should put the GPU back in? I did upgrade Avast to the latest version, and it seems since then my computer has been doing just fine. I'm just worried, by plugging in the GPU again, the problem will reoccur and corrupt some files.

The monitor has been around since October 2010 or so, and yes, I have tried changing outputs. It has PC-included VGA, along with the GPU, it has DVI, HDMI, and PCI, which I have tried VGA, DVI, and HDMI, as those were the only cords and displays I have around the house. Also, I have tried to reinstall that specific driver, but I'm not sure... I'm not just sure how to install it. I can "Install Profile" by right clicking the ".icm" file, but nothing really happens. Is there a right way of doing this? Is there some specific way I don't know.

I am testing with the GPU, now, by the way. Nothing out of the ordinary, yet, except the "non-genuine" issue, but that isn't really an issue at the moment. I want my computer to work at all first. :p But still, everything looks okay as far as clearing the blue-screens away goes, but now I have to retrieve all my drivers back.

Doesn't the driver just have a simple 'exe' for you click on?

Doesn't the driver just have a simple 'exe' for you click on?
No. It has a couple files with no instructions whatsoever.

Alsp, to note, the computer did, in without fact, blue screen as I was attempting to reinstall the graphics card driver from the disk. I can't start up without it anymore as it blue screens, and I get the crashes normally, now, even with the GPU... one if those that just pops up out of nowhere. This is what was worrying me. I was afraid I would do something stupid, like reinstalling the driver from its CD when the driver verifier is broke. Oh, well. At least we know the source of the problem... kind of. It's a little annoying. I can't reinstall my broken drivers or else the computer will blue screen. No repairing... GAHH!!! The main problem is I don't know why the driver verifier is doing this.

Have you tried starting up in safe mode and turning it off? You could then send me the dump files.

Sorry for the long hiatus, but it just seems like nothing is working, and I only make it worse. Today is the worst case scenario, as I start up my main drive, opens up the login screen, and it blue screens. Okay, maybe that was just a short fault. I tried again to see if the issue persists, and as of this moment, Windows will not start up at all, whatsoever.

Okay, so here's the run down.

MY MAIN DRIVE: Windows won't start up at all. Not even the logo will appear, and the computer restarts upon attempting to boot off this drive.

MY SECONDARY DRIVE: Windows can't even boot up here. The logo screen appears, "Preparing for The First Time Use" screen appears, then restarts upon finishing up that loading screen.

MY CD DRIVE: Neither of my KNOPPIX discs will start up. They show the main screen, and boot up, but I'm left with a command prompt which, to my knowledge, only "help" works. Anything else will just be typed. Pressing "Enter" will just create a new line as if it was a text document, except I can't bring the cursor back up. So, basically, I'm stuck in console mode, and can't display GUI. Also, basically, it brings me to a console mode that doesn't work.

I'm at the end of my rope, here. There's LITERALLY NOTHING I CAN DO OS WISE to my computer to fix it.

Hopefully, there's a hardware fix for this, but as of now, I see nothing wrong with my hardware. So much for getting back and being motivated to fix my computer. :/

Damn that is a bad situation... Sorry to hear things have got so bad.
Try this, boot up and press F8 continually to get into the advanced boot options. Try 'last good known config' . It's amazing how this setting setting sometimes turns up the goods but have a check see.
Have you also tried booting off the windows install disk and trying the repair option?

Failing that you will have start troubleshooting your hardware. Make sure the Bios is on default settings and remove everything but one HDD, one DVD drive and so on. Swop your config around until you can get a working os going. You can then slowly start adding software/hardware testing as you go.

I have to note that upon reinstalling Windows on my new hard drive (after reformatting it, of course) I blue screened... running off a disc. So, we know for a fact that if is isn't not the hard drive, then at least the hard drive isn't one of the problems.

Ok, this is weird. Pressing F8 during boot up brings me to an option of what to boot on. It seems I have two Windows partitions. The first one seems to be newly installed. (Which I double check twice to make sure the new Windows 7 I was installing was my new 500GB hard drive, and not my old so-called broken 1000GB hard drive it won't let me install on, anyway, because it's "broken.") And, turns out, the second one is my old Windows 7 and it stats up perfectly. No blue-screens as of yet, but I'll give it some time. This is weird. My computer's fan is also louder than before, so that's a thing.

My computer's fan being loud after being quiet for so long, (Yes, this was a thing before the issue), made me curious. Everything seems normal from where I left it, and no blue screens as of yet. I'm afraid to reinstall the graphics card from the disk I have, because my last attempt resulted in a blue-screen. (New Windows 7 installation and new graphics card installation, along with unplugging my phone and installing the new CD drive, resulted in a blue screen. While my graphics and monitor drivers are having issues, hmmm, I think I know where this is really going.) Haven't got any non-genuine issues, yet, either, but that's sort of random. The background where it would normally say "This version of Windows is not genuine" is now just completely back without any text. I attempt to change my theme back to a green-aero skin and a Fluttershy background. This resulted in the background being changed to Fluttershy (That's good.), but the skin is still not aero. Stuck on basic, I'm afraid. I also recall a "Wait a moment" screen that usually occurs while changing a theme, this did not happen. Unless this is bad memory, I don't think it's suppose to end up Explorer not responding for a few seconds after immediate change, but that's just me.

I'll attempt to send the dump files as long as my computer doesn't blue screen again, but it hasn't so far, so I don't know. It's been on for about ten minutes, now, and it seems alright. In case I don't blue screen, we'll have to work on getting the drives back. I don't know about you, but my 1600x900 monitor doesn't look good at 1280x1204.

Send any dump files you have and I'll check them over. Try reformatting the Terabyte drive and just check the firmware is up to date. I seem to remember that some terabyte drives were in need of an update a while back and your might one of them.

I have said numerous times that I doubt the hard drive is the problem. This problem has occurred on other drives and CDs I've run on as well.

Also, it stopped recording the dump files, last time I checked, but it could have recorded some as of recent.

Also, Hm.... Everything's fine until I put the graphics card in. Nothing can detect my graphics card properly. Reinstalling it with the disc either Blue Screens or fails. Problem occurs after recent cleaning of the Graphics Card fan. I think I may have spotted the problem. I can't even go full resolution, either. It's all default. I think that's a Graphics Card thing, too. I think I know where the problem is.

The other BSODs occur shortly after the GPU BSODs, so the other ones not related to the GPU might just be a chain effect. I can't reinstall my graphics card, for some reason, and most of my crashes are occurring whenever I do graphics card related stuff. Like attempting to start a game, or like I said, reinstalling the driver. I could be wrong, but I feel like every time my computer seems like it starts working again, I do something related to the GPU and everything screws up. I'll try.... something with the GPU. I'm not sure where the problem is at this moment. Could either be the slot, or the GPU itself. The weird thing is, at this very moment, I am using my graphics card to display everything. The GPU is running and everything. Just not detected as a non-default GPU, it's treating it like an on-board graphics slot or something. The computer seems actually quite fine today, with only a blue screen occurring once through the attempted reinstallation.

Now, my only problem is how the hell I'm going to get the GPU to work, again. Are there any in-OS problems I can solve related to the GPU not being recognized correctly, but can still be treated like an on-board graphics slot? I just want to be sure before I go buy something and find out it was useless. Seriously.

Also, you know how under "system properties", I said beside "Processor:" and "RAM:", it said "Not Available." Well, I just found out I can just go to "My Computer", and it would list the same thing. But, instead of "Not Available", it actually lists what I have. WHAT!?

Also, under "Device Manager", there's an icon with Code 28 that says "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)", and another with Code 52 that says "AMD High Definition Audio Device." I assume the audio device is my HDMI audio output, and the Video Controller is my undetected Graphics Card. I know this, because I tried to update driver, and it said something like "Failed to update AMD Radeon HD 5670 Driver" or something at the end, because it timed out. But, guess what? That's the exact driver I have. So it knows what GPU driver I have, but doesn't? This is why I turned back to this forum, as I'm confused. I'm kind of stuck. Other than that, I haven't touched the computer a little after since my last post here. Kind of stressing me out, this whole situation is, because it's been like this for three months, now.

Can you get a friend to try the card in their machine? You could at least that way see if acts in the same way. Another reason for GPU issues is either a PSU which isn't powerful enough for the card or the PSU is failing/getting old.
If the think the PSU is fine then try the card in a different machine.
Also try checking the bios. As you have an onboard graphics solution maybe you have to make one or the other the default (either add in card or onboard device).

To be honest if I was you I would strip the pc down to it's basics and work my way through making sure each component was viable. It could even be down to a short on the motherboard, make sure nothing is hitting the underside of the board like a screw head or something daft... I'm just trying to offer you ideas and what I would do in this situation.

Okay... so, my new installation on my second hard drive just decided to work, yesterday. Everything works on this new copy of windows, the GPU, the Monitor........ and I'm surprised that this is included, but... it's.... genuine? I think the main reason the updates wouldn't install on my main drive was because the "non-genuine" issue.

So, basically I have a working computer. Yay. Now, if you excuse me, I need to reinstall everything. Glad that this is finally working, and I could reinstall without things missing.

Back