Windows 7 Windows 7 doesn't boot after deleting XP partition

Taron

Hello,

I run Windows 7 for at least 4 weeks and I never had problems with it, so I decided to remove the now unneeded XP Partition.
My Problem is that after this Windows 7 refused to boot.
I suppose that either the Windows Bootmanager was on the XP Partition I removed.

My Partition Table is:

1. Primary Partition - Ubuntu Linux
2. Extended Partition (with three Parts)
- 4 Gb Linux Swap Partition
- 80 GB NTFS-Datapartition
- 40 GB Windows 7 Prof. Partition

The XP Partition I removed was on another Primary Partition.

If I boot the Windows 7 DVD the Startup Repair Option doesn't recognize the installed Windows 7.

What can I do to repair the installation?

If you boot off the cd and goto repair and goto the command prompt. and change directory to your dvd and a folder called boot. When there run bootsect.exe /nt60 yourdriveletter: /mbr /force . Hopefully that should then fix to boot if the first method didn't. You may have to find the partition your windows is on first.

Last edited:
You need to have a Primary ntfs partition marked Active. Then run startup repair.

You could convert the 7 partition into a Primary and mark it active, or create one from the unallocated space. The 7 boot critical files will be placed on that active partition.

If you want to convert the 7 partition - you need a special tool - Paragon partition manager for example.

Last edited:
You need to have a Primary ntfs partition marked Active. Then run startup repair.

You could convert the 7 partition into a Primary and mark it active, or create one from the unallocated space. The 7 boot critical files will be placed on that active partition.

If you want to convert the 7 partition - you need a special tool - Paragon partition manager for example.

Is there a way to run Paragon if he can't boot?

If the op can get to the command prompt on the dvd then I think diskpart should do it.

All decent Partition managers have a boot disc ( perhaps not some of the freebies).

You can't convert logical to primary non- destructively using Diskpart.

You can use Diskpart to create a partition from the unallocated space and mark it active.

Easier still to use the free Partition Wizard boot disc - d/l from here and burn the .iso to cd-r as an image - not as data(don't format the cd).

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwhe41.iso

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Boot the cd - it asks you to select a display resolution. MAKE SURE NUM LOCK IS ON -at the top rt of your keyboard - pres Num Lock - a light should come on.

Type 1, press Enter - the PW program will start.

Either rt click 7 partition partition select Modify>Make Primary, OK. Then rt click it again Modify >Mark Active, OK . Apply.

Or rt click Unallocated space and create new Primary ntfs partition and mark Active.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back