Windows 7 Windows 7 file explorer search sucks!

ncimike3

For over a year now the windows 7 search feature in file explorer fails (most of the time). Periodically it will work, but most of the time I can't rely on it. It is affecting my job and as an engineer with tens of thousands of files to search on regular basis I am pulling my hair out. Please see the screen shot for a clear picture of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 664
Hi

I've used Agent Ransack for years as my search software.
I still do in Windows 8, it works and it's free.

I have seen times when the Windows search engine couldn't find a file that I was sitting and looking at in Windows Explorer.

As far as I can tell if it's there Agent Ransack will find it.
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download

It's easy to use, and will be added to the right click dropdown so all you have to do it right click on the location you want to start the search from and type in what you are searching for.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that windows 7 search engine is crap. I can be sitting in the folder i want to search and enter a partial name of a file and it comes up with nothing. Why does windows have to try and fix things that are not broke and make it overly complex. Xp is still on my desktop and I can find anything i am looking for on it just about every time. I am going to try one of the suggestions above because I have given up on windows 7 search. Hint to windows programmers, fix the search so that anyone can use it!!!! I am an engineer with thousands of files but i am sure that normal people are pulling there hair out when they try to find their stuff. So frustrating....

OH and why would microsofts MVP even think of suggesting an alternative if windows search worked as well they claim. Indexing sucks takes forever and still does not find my files

Try Agent Ransack, it is really easy to use since it adds the option to the right click dropdown menu.
Just right click wherever you want to search click Agent Ransack, and then type in what you want to find.

It retains the search object, so you can move around searching different locations until you find what you want.

As I've said, I've used it for years.

When I attempted to download this program from the link above my antivirus reported APPL/Downloader.Gen !
Can someone please explain?

Hi

I should have posted the link to the Agent Ransack site, shown above.
I'm not sure how I ended up with the one I did.

Too much of a hurry and grabbed the first link I saw I guess.

I would change it but it's been too long, maybe the staff can remove it?

There are many sites that use the pretense of offering downloads of other peoples software just as a means of getting ad-ware etc into your computer.

Always try and find the site of the original creator.
I.e. Piriform for CCleaner and Defraggler for instance, these are very popular downloads and are often used to get clicks on download sites.

Mike

Back