Windows 7 Windows 7 Fire Wall

If you don't have a firewall, Windows will normally tell you.

Open the action center and then the Security drop down info....

ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED 1058 (0x422) The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Do you have or had another firewall running?

Try a couple of things. Use the Winkey + R to open a run command and type WF.msc and try to start the firewall control application. What happens?

Control Panel - Windows Firewall...What does it show? Can you turn it or or off? Try the troubleshooter.

Use the Run Command again and open services.msc and check the Windows Firewall for being set to Automatic start and running. If it is not running, try to start it. If it will not start, check the properties for the dependencies tab and see if the Gear icon items are started or can be started. Things like RPC or RPC endpoint, or DCOM Server Process Launcher.

I will have to track down what the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver is to see how to check it.

Edit: The Windows Firewall Authorization Driver is located in the Device Manager, view-show hidden devices and then the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section. It shows a driver as mpsdrv and the Startup Type and Status can be checked from the Properties panel.

Last edited:
Do you have or had another firewall running?

Try a couple of things. Use the Winkey + R to open a run command and type WF.msc and try to start the firewall control application. What happens?

Control Panel - Windows Firewall...What does it show? Can you turn it or or off? Try the troubleshooter.

Use the Run Command again and open services.msc and check the Windows Firewall for being set to Automatic start and running. If it is not running, try to start it. If it will not start, check the properties for the dependencies tab and see if the Gear icon items are started or can be started. Things like RPC or RPC endpoint, or DCOM Server Process Launcher.

I will have to track down what the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver is to see how to check it.

Edit: The Windows Firewall Authorization Driver is located in the Device Manager, view-show hidden devices and then the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section. It shows a driver as mpsdrv and the Startup Type and Status can be checked from the Properties panel.

Thanks for your input. I had Firewall turned off in services.msc. When I turned it back and and rebooted my firewall is now working.

Thanks again.

Back