Windows 7 Windows 7 keeps disconnecting the router from the internet!

SinanDira

As the title says. What I've got is a dozen of 4 computers connected wirely and wirelessly to a Linksys router, which is connected to the internet. This build kept living a peaceful life until one day I installed the evil* Windows 7 on one of the wired machines. The router began to disconnect the internet once every 30 seconds to 10 minutes, and the connection doesn't come back until restarting it. It's obvious that the problem is gone when the Windows 7 machine is disconnected from the network. This is FREAKING annoying!

What details else do you need to know in order to analyze and tell me what I can do?

You can always try the Network Diagnostics.

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Control Panel.
  3. Click Network and Internet.
  4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
  5. Scroll down and click Troubleshoot problems.
  6. Choose the topic that is most revelent to your problem, I would recommend Internet Connections.
Gather your results.

Other than this, it's obviously Windows 7 that is causing this, so it's the driver and/OR the OS.

I tried both the internet and adapters options but neither of them found any errors. I believe that all drivers are up to date, but I am not sure what devices need drivers and what Windows 7 can't update alone.

Any suggestions?

If it's not hardware then it's software.
Or the device itself.

I would recommend using diagnostics first to check the network card,
and if all passes then do this:

1. Go to start
  2. Type in "msconfig"
  3. click msconfig
  4. Go to the "Startup" tab.
  5. Disable one service at a time and restart, this will check which one is causing the problem. (IMPORTANT: Do NOT disable required services, such as graphics or windows services.)

You can also use Windows Update or Windows Upgrade Advisor to check for updates.
Windows Upgrade Advisor is for checking your hardware for updated drivers and if you need to perform any action(s).

Windows is up to date. And the problem is there since the very beginning when there were only Avira and Spyware Terminator. Windows Defender is turned off so there's no conflict.

But there's a detail I must add. I am surprised to know that the same problem happens in the XP installed on the same computer! While before installing 7 (when there was only XP), the computer was a normal member in the network and didn't cause any problems past 2 years.

The only changes that happened to the computer before the problem started to happen in both Windows 7 and XP were a replacement of the power supply and the graphics card, formatting XP and installing 7 on a separate partition. But what the God has that to do with the computer?

I found out the cause of the problem! It's all from the anti-virus and anti-spyware. From here I can continue alone. But it's so weird, and I never thought about them. I've used those 2 programs for several years, why would they make trouble now?! I'll find out soon. Thanks for your time. :)

Back