Windows 7 Windows 7 not detecting usb devices

ralphf

I find myself in a real pickle and would appreciate any help. I've lost all my usb drivers and windows will not connect or recognize any usb device when I install it. Here's the message I get from device manager:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).

I've tried everything possible to correct the situation even reloading the intel chipset from Asus web site. Windows no longer will detect a flash drive or external usb drive. I'm at the end of my rope and I don't envy the thoughts of a reinstall. Is there a way to reinstall the usb drivers?Any one can point me in a direction. Just one note that this was working fine for several weeks until this morning. Could this possibly be a register issue?
Thanks, Ralph

Have you tried the System File Checker utility?
Click the Start Orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click it and choose run as administrator)
type
sfc /scannow
see what that produces and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

I really appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. This is a new machine I just built and I was having some problems getting windows 7 backup to work(reserved partition issue) and Acronis 2010 was giving me intermttent problems. So I ended up taking several backups when they did work to an external and internal drive. My usb external drives were no good to me and I forgot about the acronis backup to the internal drive. When I found it I gave it a try and lo and behold it restored my C drive and I'm back in business. I wish I could have tried your recommendation to see if it would have worked. I totally forhgot about scannow utility.

Thanks again, Ralph

Great news, glad you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back with your solution.
I've used Acronis for years and am currently on the 2011 home version and I see that they just offered a 2012 upgrade. It has save my bacon on more than one occasion.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back