My hdd is a 320 gb sata drive from WD, when i wanted to install Windows
7 i had to get some free partition, so i split my E: partition to a
~140 GB E: drive and anotehr ~20 GB F: drive, then i installed windows
7 on the F: drive and after completion of the installation process i
changed the drive letter of the F: partition to C: and after 2 weeks i
saw no need for xp so i deleted it (but the xp partition is still
there).
It worked normally until yesterday when it for the first time gave me a
bluescreen with the STOP code: 0x00..4F(0x00..3, ... , ... , ...)
I googled for a solution and found out thatit may be related to a HDD
error so i changed the cables and booted into the error recovery console and ran the startup
repair tool as well as the chkdsk utility on all drives, i noticed that
c: isn't my windows 7 partition anymore but the old xp one.
so i used system restore but now it doesn't even give me a bsod but i see a mouse
on a black screen for a while and then it restarts.

I don't know what to do now so i am asking you for help.
I think the error maybe related to the windows 7 installation and that
the windows xp and windows 7 partition should be replaced by each other
(is that possible ?), i mean moving the windows 7 partition from F: to
C:

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

Did you do this?

Can you boot into Windows at all?

@drew
I already ran Startup repair more than one time but it always says that the problem can't repaired automatically.
It seems like i will have to install the OS again,
is there any way to save my settings in control panel, application data and installed 3rd party programs ?

-EDIT:
How can i merge the partitions F: & C: to C: ??
so that they are both on the ebginning of the hdd ?

Last edited:
It sounds like maybe his win 7 partition isn't active... didn't someone post the solution on how to use disk manager to fix this from the command prompt from booting to the install disk?

I don't have the details and probably would not try to explain it because, as I have said so many times before, partitions are among the top 5 problems people are having trouble with and posting for help with, therefore I would NEVER partition my drives and I believe anyone who does partition a drive just doesn't care if they lose their data because ALL hard drives eventually fail... everyone of them.

Partitions also waste space because you can't fill them up... they all have to have some free space and if anything goes wrong... which is so easy to do if you try to re-size or create a new one, EVERYTHING CAN be lost on the entire hard drive ... that's not backed up to another device. I rather flash my BIOS than mess around with partitions.... and flashing a bios even makes an atheist pray.

I'm not alone , google dangers of partitions and the first thing that comes up is:

"In truth your data is not safe if it's on a separate partition"

Viruses love to mess with them... and AV programs can damage a partition even when the virus hasn't.

Google MBR viruses

If you do not need the second drive, take it out (unplugg) for now. The system needs to boot to drive 0, so when you reversed the cables, you probably reversed the primary drive.

If you want to move the Windows 7 partition, you might want to try now before it is set to active. Then try running the startup repair. It may take several passes for it to fix some problems, so run it, then try to boot into the OS, then run it again if necessary.

Last edited:
@drew
1. this isn't my computer and the disk 0 isn't mine so we don't have to worry about C:, D: and E:
about the image i know about compressing images and so (i am designing websites sometimes) but as i said this isn't my pc.
2.Boot is the F: drive
3. as mentioned before this isn't my pc and the fat32 formatted partitions aren't on my disk
4. as above a xp but not on my hdd
5. I am downloading gparted at the moment to merge those both and then install a clean copy of windows 7 on the new created partition
6. yes, on G: and H: there are hundreds of hours of downloading,my speed is about 30-60 kB/s imagine how long it takes to download a 700 MB movie (and i have quite a big movie collection)
7. -again- not mine

Try googling this:
advantage of partitions

Yes... I'm aware of some advantages. My experience has convinced me that risks outweigh rewards.

Here is why... a partition is solely dependent on a Table that can be lost, damaged, corrupted, stolen (just thought I would throw that one in);)

When the table goes, and something as simple as a single bad sector on a hard drive can cause a failure, all the data is lost. It's like a compressed backup... should the decompression process, or decompression software fail.. or a single byte the archive gets corrupt... the entire backup is lost. I try to avoid putting data in any "state" where something as simple as a corrupt Table or a decompression/ program failure would cause catastrophic failure.

Add to that, all the confusion people are having and asking for help to resolve partition problems AND all the possible mistakes that can be made when someone tries to create or re-size a partition, I have to conclude that people either don't understand the risk or feel their data is important enough to protect.

I always have two hard drives in my computers,. and that's where the data and backups are held.

OK, i used gparted and successfully merged the 2 partitions to one partition on the beginning of the hdd.
it worked like a charm but it took quite a long time (about 5 hours).
then i turned the pc off and after i found the windows 7 DVD and started the pc i saw that the bios doesn't detect any hdd nor does the other computer's bios installation or the windows xp on it.

it seems like something made the hdd kaput (is that English?) and it doesn't work anymore,
i am sure it wasn't gparted but maybe some energy related problem.
I'll take the hdd and the warranty paper to where I've bought it from tomorrow,
and until there does anyone have any idea what might have happened ?
i already tried new cables but it still doesn't show up in boot menu...

Back