Windows 7 Windows 7 not using 4GB of it's ram

MasterMas

Hi Everyone

I posted this a while ago in the support section. I thought for the second time I had fix my problem. Though it has happen again. So what's going on is I have 6144mb of ram on my Compaq Presario CQ62 402AU. So I have the 2GB Hp stick which cam ewith the laptop (2GB DDR3 1066MHz) and I have a 4GB stick from G-Skill). So there should be 5.76GB usable, but I only have 1.74GB usable. This is what is it when I only had the 2GB. THe Bios says there is 6144GB in there. Windows says there 6.0GB in there also.

So what I have tried:
  • Running Mem Tests (Hp one which came with my laptop and Memtestx86)
  • Taking out the ram and putting them in there sorts again
  • Taking out the ram, running a pencil eraser over the connecters and then putting them back in
  • Doing testing so Only 1 is in and try that in both slots for both sticks of ram
  • Swapping the ram positions
  • Making sure that Max ram is not selected in Msconfig

So basic System info you may want to know (Most of my profile info is there of my computer)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1
  • Installed Memory (Ram) (This is from the basic system info page) 6.00GB (1.74GB Usable)

The odd thing is that it worked fine for a while. Today I went to school with the 5.76GB and I come back home 8 hours later, the computer has only been on lock for this time and there is only 1.76GB usable.

Hope you can come up with a fix for this. Any other information you may need, just ask and I will try to give it to you as well as I can

So I have the 2GB Hp stick which cam ewith the laptop (2GB DDR3 1066MHz) and I have a 4GB stick from G-Skill). So there should be 5.76GB usable, but I only have 1.74GB usable. This is what is it when I only had the 2GB. THe Bios says there is 6144GB in there. Windows says there 6.0GB in there also.

I am not following that.

You say it showed 1.74Gb when it only had the 2Gb. Then you said with both sticks, the BIOS says 6144Gb (I assume you mean 6144MB) and Windows shows 6Gb.

That all sounds right to me.

So it appears you are saying sometimes the extra 4 appears and sometimes it does not. Did it ever work consistently?

I cannot find the specs for your notebook. :( Are you sure it supports 6Gb?

Hello

So to clear some stuff up. Your correct about your thoughts. Windows detects that 6.00GB has been installed, but isn't using it. It still is at 1.76GB usable. I did have it working for about 2 weeks with both sticks (5.75GB usable). After keeping my laptop on lock for 8 hours it changes back to a single stick I have checked the laptop manuel and it supports up to 8.00GB on the board.

Then my "guess" is you got a bad stick, or your two sticks just don't play well together.

What if you run with just the 4Gb stick? What happens?

The 4GB stick works fine by itself
So it seems the 4Gb works fine by itself and the 2Gb works fine by itself, but the two don't play well together, right?

That happens. Memory modules can even test perfectly fine with Memtest86 or Windows 7's own tester (did you try that?) and still not play well with other sticks. You may be stuck with just 4Gb - but that's a whole lot better than being stuck with 2Gb - especially since you have 64-bit Windows 7, which can take advantage of the whole 4Gb (vs 32-bit operating systems).

If me, I would try to find another 4G just like that one and toss the 2Gb stick. This could also be a problem with the motherboard's memory controller trying to sort out the dual-channel configuration with the mis-matched RAM. So a second 4Gb will give the motherboard a matched pair of sticks - and Windows will have more (and faster) RAM to play in - something you will notice with better performance.

Thanks for your opinion, I will in the near future be getting a another 4G stick and will try that. Thanks for your help anyway.

It's the onboard shared video hogging all the memory that's why there's hardly any left for Windows. Compac, HP and other OEMs are infamous for their third rate onboard video shared memory chips.

Compac, HP and other OEMs are infamous for their third rate onboard video shared memory chips.
Infamous? No, not really. It should be noted that on-board graphics is more than adequate to meet the needs of the vast majority of computer users. If all you do is read email, surf the Internet, do "Office" work, and watch the occasional DVD or even BluRay, you just don't need more graphics horsepower - though ample amounts of RAM is essential.

hey Grumpy! i was referring to the "shared memory" component not slamming onboard video but that being said, IMHO always buy a laptop/rig with a dedicated video card. you'll get a lot more cash for it when you put it up for sale and they just flat out perform better...........

Last edited:
Grumpy??

Actually, you joined a thread that has been dormant for 3 weeks and said something that really makes no sense,
for their third rate onboard video shared memory chips
On-board graphics that "shares" memory does not have memory chips. That's why it "shares" some of the "system RAM".

Notebooks that have dedicated cards, or more advanced on-board graphics that has its own dedicated RAM certainly offer better performance than basic on-board that uses only shared RAM. But for the vast majority of notebook users (the vast majority of whom are road warriors) basic on-board is just fine and more than suitable for surfing, email, PowerPoint presentations, or watching an occasional movie - again, assuming a there's plenty of system RAM.

once again, i was referring to the integrated onboard video chip NOT memory chips. onboard video is called that because it's a chip on the motherboard NOT a video card of any sort. Sorry for the miscommunication my friend...............

once again, i was referring to the integrated onboard video chip NOT memory chips.
Once again? Note your previous post where you said,
i was referring to the "shared memory" component

onboard video is called that because it's a chip on the motherboard
Ummm, not really. It is not "a" chip, but a GPU and several supporting chips (the graphics "chipset") and in some cases, additional VRAM chips too. And it is basically a card integrated into the motherboard - at least the components from a card that has been mounted on the motherboard.

Finally, do understand there are many inexpensive motherboards (including many µATX and ITX boards) with excellent on-board graphics solutions and these are often used in high-end HTPC (home theater PCs) and used as PVRs (personal video recorders - TiVo) and BluRay players, offering excellent performance.

They can even provide adequate game play for most users (if the notebook is kept cool).

To ensure no misunderstanding, on-board graphics is not "3rd rate". It may be less capable with the latest 3D-games than most of the better cards, but still more than adequate for most other uses. There are exceptions, of course, but the general rule is they are quite good.

On board graphics do NOT include "shared memory chips". On board may include dedicated RAM, or it shares (steals) some system RAM. But graphics cards and integrated do not include RAM that is shared. They either share system RAM, or come with their own RAM (or both).

Sorry for the miscommunication my friend...............
No problem. :thumbs_up:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.There is always an exception to the rule but I stand by my previous comments. I will however say that the latest AMD and Intel offerings of "onboard" video are very good. Amd being the best in that department. These latest (Intel and AMD) offerings are NOT however technically "onboard". They ARE "OnDie" video which is a whole different animal. The video chip is located within the APU processor in AMD's case and within the SandyBridge/IvyBridge processor in Intels case. Very good but NOT even close to PCI-E x16 video performance.
As far as the memory thing goes IMHO it's a moot point. Shared video/system memory just kills a computers performance stone dead no matter which way you look at it. A computer is only as good as it's weakest part etc. Gotta run but I'm going to enjoy this forum.......

Last edited:
Back