Windows 7 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit constant, random BSOD!

chooboo

Hi all!

I've been getting many x124 errors lately, and it's been starting when I installed windows 7 professional 64-bit. I've had the same system before when I was only using the 32-bit version of windows and it was relatively stable then (only a few weeks back). I've ran memory diagnostics and it comes out clean. From what I could tell from the minidump files is that the problem is related to my cpu (AMD phenom II 9950 quad black edition). But I'm not good at debugging nor can I really comprehend minidump files. In my BIOS I have tried loading up failsafe defaults and I am not overclocking my cpu. These crashes appear to be random... I can just sit at the desktop and it will crash or it can crash while I'm browsing the web or listening to music.

Can somebody please help me? I've had the same problem when I was running vista ultimate 64 until I moved up to windows 7 32. Attached are the minidump files I have.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Attachments

• Minidump..zip
    94.5 KB · Views: 293
seems to me somthing in your system isnt 64bit compatable but i could be wrong maybe your system specs could help a little

I'm using that amd phenom x4 9950 black edition
nforce MD-A72P-7509 motherboard from xfxforce
2 gigs of ram (did have 4, but i found one to be bad)
geforce 9600 gso graphics
and a 500 gb seagate sata hdd

all this came in a barebone kit so I don't see why it wouldnt be compatible

the cpu temp never exceeds 45 celsius so idt that's it

any possible solutions please? thanks again!

also i think it's worth noting that I have had the same error happen when I was using the 32 bit version of windows 7, just not as often. it probably only happened once every other month, as opposed to several times a day with either the 64 bit vista or 7

also i think it's worth noting that I have had the same error happen when I was using the 32 bit version of windows 7, just not as often. it probably only happened once every other month, as opposed to several times a day with either the 64 bit vista or 7

STOP 0x124 errors are:
- hardware problems
- compatibility issues (hardware or driver)
- corrupted driver (not all agree with this)

so the only reason it may happen more in Windows 7 x64 is because the system stresses your components more (including ram).

what memtest did you use ?

have you tried running with only one stick of RAM ?

can you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to check your hardware compatibility ?

you won't get anything valuable from a 0x124 .dmp file that won't name a driver or device, and your best way forward with this error is stress tests .............

Okay, well I had taken out 1 stick of ram because it was bad (this was several months ago)
so I'm only left with one other. This is what I tested, and I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic, the extensive one (over night with 7 passes) and it found no error.

So then this upgrade advisor reminded me, it says I don't have a driver for my coprocessor, which I could never find anyways. Could this be the problem?

Would you agree that the problem has to do with my processor? because that's what it seems to say in the .dmp

Can you recommend me any programs that will test my system? Or what can I do to carry out these stress tests.

This is over my head because these crashes are seemingly random :/, however thanks for all the help guys!

Also to be clear, the upgrade advisor checked everything out to be okay except for my coprocessor

Thanks!

Also to be clear, the upgrade advisor checked everything out to be okay except for my coprocessor

Thanks!

get the co-processor driver from your motherboard manufacturers website , use the vista one if they don't have a windows 7 driver , it will be the SMU package ?

then burn to CD (using an ISO burner) & run from boot memtest86+ for at least 5 passes, normally overnight required.

So I ran the memtest you recommended me for 8 passes and it stated no errors.

I also used BurnInTest to stress my system (including ram, cpu, graphics, and harddrive) and that also came up with no errors.

I'm sure all my drivers are up to date as well

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks for all the help!

So I ran the memtest you recommended me for 8 passes and it stated no errors.

I also used BurnInTest to stress my system (including ram, cpu, graphics, and harddrive) and that also came up with no errors.

I'm sure all my drivers are up to date as well

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks for all the help!

did you get your coprocessor driver sorted ?

with ram unfortunately it's not a definitive test using any memory tester as windows uses ram a little harder :(

what make and model is your PSU ?

Yep, I got that SMU package you told me about and device manager says all my drivers are good.

I use a 750 watt ATX psu, model: ULT-LSP750p

Yep, I got that SMU package you told me about and device manager says all my drivers are good.

I use a 750 watt ATX psu, model: ULT-LSP750p

well it's a week since you first posted so have you had anymore bluescreens , if yes plz upload the minidumps to see if we have a trend or more clues ?

Right, so I last had the crashes on the 24th late afternoon , approx 36 hours ago (4 within a 2 hour period!) and I haven't had a crash since.

I've also had crashes on the 22nd and 23rd consecutively... but these are the latest.

However on the 25th, it was crash free? but they are quite random and I was at school for most of that day. Although on that day I did a little tweaking and turned off many services I didn't need and messed with the registry to increase memory allocation as instructed by this website, posted in another part of the forums. Maybe this had an impact on the crashes?

Anyways, I'll post as soon as I get another crash... here are the dumps.

Thanks for all the help!!

Attachments

• Minidump..zip
    32 KB · Views: 280
Right, so I last had the crashes on the 24th late afternoon , approx 36 hours ago (4 within a 2 hour period!) and I haven't had a crash since.

I've also had crashes on the 22nd and 23rd consecutively... but these are the latest.

However on the 25th, it was crash free? but they are quite random and I was at school for most of that day. Although on that day I did a little tweaking and turned off many services I didn't need and messed with the registry to increase memory allocation as instructed by this website, posted in another part of the forums. Maybe this had an impact on the crashes?

Anyways, I'll post as soon as I get another crash... here are the dumps.

Thanks for all the help!!

for all minidumps Windows Debugger came up with hardware as the cause, and the list of drivers involved in the crash is short and all up to date, I suspect this is not drivers or software and you have a bad hardware component :(

do you have access to another graphics card you could use temporarily to eliminate it as a possible cause ?

Aw, I do not have another card I could use :/

But I can say that the majority of the crashes happened while windows media player was open, though there probably isn't a correlation, as I've watched movies completely with no crashes, and crashes would happen while I'm idle at the desktop. It's just as

(un?)stable while I play games like Assassin's Creed or World of Warcraft at full settings. Although I can't really remember a crash happening while the games were actually being played.

Are there any alternative solutions to this? I might be able to borrow a friend's graphics card at some point, but not immediately.

I appreciate all the time you are putting into this! Thanks again!

Aye, it finally crashed 4 days later...

I was just downloading a text document when it happened. I will investigate the possible graphics card problem ASAP. I just need to get one from a friend or something, but I'll post what happens as soon as it happens.

inc is the dump. Thanks everyone for helping me out! This is the first in four days, so it probably won't even be noticeable compared to earlier times. Hopefully I'll be good, learning to save documents frequently :)

Attachments

• 030310-15678-01..zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 266
Aye, it finally crashed 4 days later...

I was just downloading a text document when it happened. I will investigate the possible graphics card problem ASAP. I just need to get one from a friend or something, but I'll post what happens as soon as it happens.

inc is the dump. Thanks everyone for helping me out! This is the first in four days, so it probably won't even be noticeable compared to earlier times. Hopefully I'll be good, learning to save documents frequently :)

windows debugger came up with
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8002958038, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : hardware

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
so it's still confirming the 124 which is nearly always caused by hardware :eek:

If i was debugging this crash I would be tempted to strip out any unnecessary components and then try to emulate the crash condition , I still strongly suspect the video card :(

otherwise have you been to your motherboard manufacturers website and looked at their compatible ram list ?

otherwise have you been to your motherboard manufacturers website and looked at their compatible ram list ?

you mean like DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-5300, PC2-6400 and PC2-8500? if so, then yes to all of the above, im using pc2-6400

I still strongly suspect the video card

you think I could just take out the video card and run with just the onboard graphics? the website says that is has Onboard GeForce 8200 graphics with dx10 support

maybe I can still do what i've been doing and see what happens

you mean like DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-5300, PC2-6400 and PC2-8500? if so, then yes to all of the above, im using pc2-6400

no i mean check their compatible list against your ram make and model :razz:

you think I could just take out the video card and run with just the onboard graphics? the website says that is has Onboard GeForce 8200 graphics with dx10 support

maybe I can still do what i've been doing and see what happens
yes that's a good way to eliminate the gfx card as the cause :)

Back