Windows 7 Windows 7 Random Crashes- Rdyboost.sys?

Shar888

Hi everybody,
I'm having a problem with a new computer I bought with Windows 7 (64bit) installed. At seemingly random points in time it will crash on me completely. I've managed to find out from a dumpfile that the likely cause of this problem is something called Rdyboost.sys

I've managed to find it listed as a driver in Windows/System32. Apart from that though I'm not sure how to find it, and was wondering if somebody could help me find any other parts of Rdyboost.sys that are located on my system. Also I'd appreciate it if somebody could let me know how to disable or delete Rdyboost.sys so that it doesn't cause my PC to crash anymore.

Many Thanks.
Shar.

Readyboost is a Microsoft service designed to speed up your system by using flash memory, USB 2.0 drive, SD card, CompactFlash or any kind of portable flash mass storage system as a drive for disk cache. It may be incompatible with your device, and you may want to disable Readyboost on that drive.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

ReadyBoost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is Windows ReadyBoost and How to Configure ReadyBoost on Flash Disks

```````````````````````````````````````````````````

Good idea to get latest updates and drivers. If nothing helps, you may want to turn off Readyboost service - Control Panel > Administrative > Services.

Hi everybody,
I'm having a problem with a new computer I bought with Windows 7 (64bit) installed. At seemingly random points in time it will crash on me completely. I've managed to find out from a dumpfile that the likely cause of this problem is something called Rdyboost.sys

I've managed to find it listed as a driver in Windows/System32. Apart from that though I'm not sure how to find it, and was wondering if somebody could help me find any other parts of Rdyboost.sys that are located on my system. Also I'd appreciate it if somebody could let me know how to disable or delete Rdyboost.sys so that it doesn't cause my PC to crash anymore.

Many Thanks.
Shar.

How much memory on the system do you have? If you have 2 GIG or more disable ready boost it really does not help. I was intended for machines that have less than 2 GIG

Unfortunately I cannot find Rdyboost.sys in the Services list, which is one of the reasons I asked for help on these forums. Can anybody provide me with an idea of where I can find Rdyboost.sys apart from in the Windows/system32/drivers file? Also is it safe to simply delete this?

Apparently it is already disabled for all of these, however I am still getting random crashes. From what I can tell the reason is still RdyBoost.sys, although I will look into this a bit further to make sure.

Edit:
I have deleted the Rdyboost.sys file from windows/system32/drivers. (I have 6GBs of RAM, so I don't think I need the program anyway).

For anybody else trying to do this, you must first give your account the file ownership by right clicking on properties. Don't confuse this with permission, which you must also give your account after you have ownership of the file. As long as you've hit apply and done this properly, you should then be able to delete the file in the normal way.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I cannot find Rdyboost.sys in the Services list, which is one of the reasons I asked for help on these forums. Can anybody provide me with an idea of where I can find Rdyboost.sys apart from in the Windows/system32/drivers file? Also is it safe to simply delete this?

1. Try several times this: CP > Admin > Services > Disable Superfetch and then reenable it > Rebooot and see if it helps. If it doesn't help, then try:

2. Start > Standard > Command Prompt > sc config rdyboost error=ignore

````````````````````````````````````````````

Careful here, for informative purpose only (!!!):

Start > Standard > Command Prompt >

"sc rdyboost" will show you list of options for the readyboost service
"sc stop rdyboost" I have tried to stop it but it refuses to stop the service
("sc delete rdyboost" it will delete the service; therefore, think carefully if you want to use this option)
"sc config rdyboost error=ignore" to ignore errors

Just for some odd reason Microsoft doesn't want us to stop this service. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could you be having a driver in conflict with Readyboost ? Wonder what's your 7 build number ? Perhaps you're having an upgrade issue, you may need to reinstall your system.

My build number is 7600. I've attempted to update most of my drivers to the most recent version and most of them are up to date. I'll let you know if deleting rdyboost.sys has worked or not.

First of all thanks for all of your answers so far.

It doesn't seemed to have worked, as I am still experiencing crashes. All my drivers are also now up to date.

I'm also having some problems creating new minidump files, making it hard to tell if the issue is still related to Rdyboost.

Any suggestions you have on what to do next would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there : I'm having the exact same problem - new installation of Windows 7 (not upgrade) 64-bit on a new PC (6GB DDR3 RAM, GTX275 graphics, X58 MoBo, i7 920), no unusal/non-standard devices attached, all drivers and BIOS updated. System randomly reboots every 20 mins - 2 hours. Appears to be more frequent when idle. No BSOD - just shut down/restart. Apparently a reasobably common problem across a broad range of PC forums around the globe - everyone suspects device drivers, RAM failures, MoBo failures, etc but I can't find one successful resolution on the web! Just lots of "try this" or "my best guess is.." even from Microsoft. Very curious problem.

I've tried disabling anti-virus/security software, unplugging the network cable, never sleep or hibernate, no screen savers or desktop background changes - all stock standard settings on all devices, etc. Everything passes Windows 7 compatibility checks. I've tried disabling automatic updates/installations, etc. Nothing stops the random rebooting...

Any suggests would be appreciated!
Thanks
PY

Sorry to hear you're having this problem too. I've realised that I had a one off Blue Screen which was caused by Rdyboost.sys however that is not the cause of the problem. I've fixed the rdyboost.sys problem however the restarts do not cause a minidump to occur. This obviously means it's a lot harder to tell what is going wrong.

There are several things others might be interested in though. I tried to reinstall Windows 7 and received the message "The installation was not successful". Furthermore, I tried booting in safemode and the problem still occured there.

Furthermore, after several restarts in a row Windows enters Startup Repair. The program then says Startup Repair could not resolve the issue and the details are as follows:

Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline

Problem Signature 01:6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: Unknown
Problem Signature 04: 5
Problem Signature 05: Auto Failover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: No Root Cause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Any help anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to have to send my PC back to the manufacturer. Thanks again!

Have you disabled the Automatically Restart on BSOD?

If memory serves....
Right Click Computer / Properties / Advanced Settings (on the left) / in there somewhere on the Advanced Tab ,, uncheck that box.
This will prevent the system from auto restart so you can see the BSOD.

Also,,, try this tool to see if you can find more info... BlueScreenView

That's the point I'm trying to make. I have disabled the automatic restart and it still happens. The error is not a BSOD per se. It is some kind of an unwanted and unexpected restart. That seems to be why there are no minidumps or anything for me to use to try and find out what is causing the problem.

Edit: To make it completely clear, there is no blue screen error shown, even without the auto restart.

Hi there : I'm having the exact same problem - new installation of Windows 7 (not upgrade) 64-bit on a new PC (6GB DDR3 RAM, GTX275 graphics, X58 MoBo, i7 920), no unusal/non-standard devices attached, all drivers and BIOS updated. System randomly reboots every 20 mins - 2 hours. Appears to be more frequent when idle. No BSOD - just shut down/restart. Apparently a reasobably common problem across a broad range of PC forums around the globe - everyone suspects device drivers, RAM failures, MoBo failures, etc but I can't find one successful resolution on the web! Just lots of "try this" or "my best guess is.." even from Microsoft. Very curious problem.

I've tried disabling anti-virus/security software, unplugging the network cable, never sleep or hibernate, no screen savers or desktop background changes - all stock standard settings on all devices, etc. Everything passes Windows 7 compatibility checks. I've tried disabling automatic updates/installations, etc. Nothing stops the random rebooting...

Any suggests would be appreciated!
Thanks
PY

I would probably check with the manufacturer of your specific memory modules and determine how they spec the voltages and timings, then take a look at your bios and see how your motherboard has them set, assuming that it's still at default, maybe this could be the problem, sorry, just another try this, my best guess, and a maybe. Of course that's kinda what we do here.

I would probably check with the manufacturer of your specific memory modules and determine how they spec the voltages and timings, then take a look at your bios and see how your motherboard has them set, assuming that it's still at default, maybe this could be the problem, sorry, just another try this, my best guess, and a maybe. Of course that's kinda what we do here.

I've checked and the speed for my ram is supposed to be 1333Mhz, however my BIOS is telling me it's running at about 1666Mhz or around that. It also displays a message telling to me to "Clear CMOS in order to fix wrong memory speed problem".

Would you recommend clearing the CMOS? If so, how exactly do you suggest I do this? (I'm not 100% sure myself).

Thanks,
Shar.

Since, you haven't posted any Computer Specs, in your profile, we don't know what type of computer that you have, so I could only suggest that perhaps you check the manual that came with the motherboard, or in the case of a laptop check with the system manufacturer.

Looks like not only me get this kind of crash. I get the same... random Windows 7(64bit)crash/freeze without automatic RR
System specs:
MB: Asus P5K Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
3 Gigs of RAM
Video: XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX edition

this is really annoying... anyone got this fixed?

Hi ArtursZ. Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump to copy the files in there to any other folder. Then rar or zip them and attach the compressed file to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.Link Removed - Invalid URL

there is nothing in that folder, even if I turn hidden files/folders on :(

I'd hate to say it, but that's usually when a cracked version of Windows torrented by a cracking group spreads and is used. Malware and this copy of Windows may be your problem. In this case, I recommend only using official copies of Windows. (The groups disable crash dumps.)

Or perhaps you've used CCleaner and this removed the crash dumps.

In case I am wrong, here is what you can do about it:

Enabling dump files - Windows 7 Forums

Last edited:
Back