Windows 7 Windows 7 Re-Install-Help Please

GhopR

OK. Here's what happen.
I was uninstalling IE9 because my son need to file on-line for unemployment, and our state website would only work with IE8. (I use FF as my main browser) Anyway, as I was uninstalling IE9, my son came into the room while I was out of the room and turned my computer off. When I came back and seen that it was off, I turned it back on. Win7 loaded up but all my letters were now like symbols. ie: under the icon for my log in, my son's log in, and my wife's log-in instead of our names, there was just symbols. Similar to "Wingdings" font, but not exactly. After clicking on my icon, Win7 continue on as normal. All my programs were there, but any letters were now symbols...everywhere. Even my date & time was symbols! It was the same in Safe Mode. I wanted to do a system restore, but there wasn't a way for me to decipher where it was in the program list. It was like trying to read a foreign language. Finally, I put the Win7 disc that I got with my computer and did a re-installed. It booted up from my CD/DVD drive and went on. When it was done re-installing Win7, I took a back up disc I had made a few months ago and retrieved all of my data.

Now here's where my problem comes in: After the re-install of Win7, I have a new drive labeled "System (K)" and it has 70.3MB free of 99.9MB.(See attached) I figure this is a partition on my HDD that was set up by the Win7 re-install. I also have a folder labeled "Windows.old" under the OS of my C: HDD. Now this "Windows.old" file has all the files my system had before. (See attached)
Also, on my taskbar, when you hover the mouse over any my program icons, it shows the name of the program with a (2) behind it, and I can not rename the program without a (2) or another number after it's name. So it's like Win7 thinks I have two copies of every program, which in a way I do.
Is there anyway I can clear this mess up? Can either the "System (K)" drive or the "Windows.old" folder be deleted? Would doing a complete "clean" install be the only way to clear out all this crap? Or should I not even worry about it and just go on? My big worry is that the way things are now, that it's potentially slowing down my computer, and also that it's going to effect how my programs continue to work.

I have an Intel Core i5. I use avast antivirus, Comodo Firewall, FF 8.0, Thunderbird 8.0.

Thanks in advance to all that can help me.
GhopR:)

Attachments

• System K.PNG
    System K.PNG
    155.6 KB · Views: 372
  • C OS Windowold.PNG
    C OS Windowold.PNG
    199.5 KB · Views: 400
A complete system reinstall should clean everything completely. This would require reinstalling all apps as well. When you reinstalled Win 7 the last time, did you do a custom install or an upgrade install?

Windows.old will always be created when you install Win 7 over another OS (even Win 7). This does indeed contain the old OS. This allows you to drag any data (pics, favs, music, etc) into the new OS. To delete this folder use this method.

I also suspect System (K) is somehow related to the old OS. Since you are anticipating a complete Custom (Clean) install anyway, I would use the Win 7 Disk Manager to delete the System (K) partition. Type Disk Management in the search box and choose Create and format hard disk partitions. Right click the System (K) partition and choose delete. This will leave unallocated space. Or use a 3rd party partition manager (I have Partition Wizard for this)

Once you have the system back to where it should be, consider Imaging to create a backup of your entire system.

A complete system reinstall should clean everything completely. This would require reinstalling all apps as well. When you reinstalled Win 7 the last time, did you do a custom install or an upgrade install?

Windows.old will always be created when you install Win 7 over another OS (even Win 7). This does indeed contain the old OS. This allows you to drag any data (pics, favs, music, etc) into the new OS. To delete this folder use this method.

I also suspect System (K) is somehow related to the old OS. Since you are anticipating a complete Custom (Clean) install anyway, I would use the Win 7 Disk Manager to delete the System (K) partition. Type Disk Management in the search box and choose Create and format hard disk partitions. Right click the System (K) partition and choose delete. This will leave unallocated space. Or use a 3rd party partition manager (I have Partition Wizard for this)

Once you have the system back to where it should be, consider Imaging to create a backup of your entire system.

Ted,
I would like to thank you for your help. Sorry I took so long to get back to this thread. I think I will attempt a complete re-install next week. I originally just did a custom install (I had been using Win7, it was loaded on this computer when I purchased it.). Thanks also for telling me about using Imaging for my back up. I'm not looking forward to doing this, but I know if I take my time and do it right, it will be much better in the long run.

One other question Ted, if you don't mind. Should I do the back up with Imaging now, then delete the K:/ drive and the Windows.old folder, or delete first, then Imaging?

Thanks again!

I would do both. Make an Image labeled properly to identify it. Then delete the items and make another image. You can always delete the Image you do not need any longer, or delete both when your system is reinstalled and start creating new Images of the pristine system.

I would do both. Make an Image labeled properly to identify it. Then delete the items and make another image. You can always delete the Image you do not need any longer, or delete both when your system is reinstalled and start creating new Images of the pristine system.

Ted,
Thank you again. You been a great help to me and I really appreciate the time you took to any all my questions.
Take care!

Hi,

Ted & I seem to often be on the same wavelength so I hope he won't mind if I add my 2 cents to this...
intent is to work together not, offend anyone.

Everything he has said is perfectly fine & correct however forgive me for being bold enough to add my own view, as well (for whatever it may be worth.

What Ted said about the Windows.old folder is correct... once data is taken from it, it really is no longer needed. But, this is a bit of a moot point because IF a Custom Install (clean install) is done it won't be there... which Ted indirectly implied, also.

Interestingly enough I recently had a client whose machine had the same 'font' issue & a rebuild was the only remedy. However, after, I was finished it had none of the conditions you describe.

Anyway, YES, I fully agree you need to do another clean, fresh install... do not use or select "Upgrade"; choose "Custom Install".

& yes, you can 'adjust' the drive issues in Disc Management but, you can, also, format, delete, configure drives & the location & size of the OS drive @ the onset of the install process. Remember, grab wanted data 1st but, after the new install, the System Drive will be C:\ & everything you see currently will not be that way anymore. Ideally it is best to have 2 drives (HDDs) or @ the onset of the install make 2 partitions... 1 will be the OS or System Drive & the other Data, for storage. This way, if you ever have to rebuild, the Data Drive is not impacted or lost. By the way, doing this, one may not 'see' the Data Drive/partition immediately after the (new) install BUT, it will be in Disc Management & once formatted (there), it will show in Computer.

Now, this part you can certainly take it or leave it, as you like...

1. IF, you want to have FF 8.0, that is fine BUT, I would run IE9 as the default browser. IF a site (they are very rare) is still wallowing in the past, ie w/ IE8, usually those will work in IE9 Compatibility Mode or another browser like Chrome or FF.
2. After you redo the OS, even though I swore by Avast for years, I recommend you go w/ MSE, instead.
3. I further recommend, henceforth, you use the OS (Windows) Firewall, rather than a 3rd party one (Comodo)

IE9 is extremely good, MSE is exremely good, the Windows Firewall is just fine & things of the same family tend to play very well together.

As I said, the above is only advice, not an 'order'... it's up to you, certainly. But, your computing experience may be better going forward, should you decide to take it.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi,

Ted & I seem to often be on the same wavelength so I hope he won't mind if I add my 2 cents to this...
intent is to work together not, offend anyone.

Everything he has said is perfectly fine & correct however forgive me for being bold enough to add my own view, as well (for whatever it may be worth.

What Ted said about the Windows.old folder is correct... once data is taken from it, it really is no longer needed. But, this is a bit of a moot point because IF a Custom Install (clean install) is done it won't be there... which Ted indirectly implied, also.

Interestingly enough I recently had a client whose machine had the same 'font' issue & a rebuild was the only remedy. However, after, I was finished it had none of the conditions you describe.

Anyway, YES, I fully agree you need to do another clean, fresh install... do not use or select "Upgrade"; choose "Custom Install".

& yes, you can 'adjust' the drive issues in Disc Management but, you can, also, format, delete, configure drives & the location & size of the OS drive @ the onset of the install process. Remember, grab wanted data 1st but, after the new install, the System Drive will be C:\ & everything you see currently will not be that way anymore. Ideally it is best to have 2 drives (HDDs) or @ the onset of the install make 2 partitions... 1 will be the OS or System Drive & the other Data, for storage. This way, if you ever have to rebuild, the Data Drive is not impacted or lost. By the way, doing this, one may not 'see' the Data Drive/partition immediately after the (new) install BUT, it will be in Disc Management & once formatted (there), it will show in Computer.

Now, this part you can certainly take it or leave it, as you like...

1. IF, you want to have FF 8.0, that is fine BUT, I would run IE9 as the default browser. IF a site (they are very rare) is still wallowing in the past, ie w/ IE8, usually those will work in IE9 Compatibility Mode or another browser like Chrome or FF.
2. After you redo the OS, even though I swore by Avast for years, I recommend you go w/ MSE, instead.
3. I further recommend, henceforth, you use the OS (Windows) Firewall, rather than a 3rd party one (Comodo)

IE9 is extremely good, MSE is exremely good, the Windows Firewall is just fine & things of the same family tend to play very well together.

As I said, the above is only advice, not an 'order'... it's up to you, certainly. But, your computing experience may be better going forward, should you decide to take it.

Cheers,
Drew

Drew,
Thank you also! I really appreciated the added info you gave me. I have read many times about Windows Fire Wall being very good. I guess old habits are just hard to change at times. I do know what you are saying about
"things of the same family tend to play very well together
. It's that way with home theater electronics too, at times, which is my hobby.

Anyway, I think I'll follow what you said about the Microsoft products, cause no matter how much Microsoft sometimes aggravates the hell out of me, If it wasn't for them, a lot of us wouldn't be able to do as much on a computer today as we can.

Thanks again!

Also, on my taskbar, when you hover the mouse over any my program icons, it shows the name of the program with a (2) behind it, and I can not rename the program without a (2) or another number after it's name. So it's like Win7 thinks I have two copies of every program, which in a way I do.........

Just for info, you should find the xxx(2) files here, where you can rename them, after deleting the older ones without a number, hence the 2.
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned

Hello GhopR,

Just to add, following Ted and Drew's advice would be good, except the deletion of the K drive (System Reserve), do not delete that drive or you will not be able to boot.
This was added when you re-installed 7 by the installation which it will do. In the 100MB "System Reserve" contains all the boot information, so DO NOT delete it.

Regards,

Don

Just for info, you should find the xxx(2) files here, where you can rename them, after deleting the older ones without a number, hence the 2.
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned

Elmer,
Thank you! I follow what you told me to do and was able to clear up that problem with my icons in the task bar. Everything is "normal" now.
Thanks again,
GhopR :)

Hello GhopR,

Just to add, following Ted and Drew's advice would be good, except the deletion of the K drive (System Reserve), do not delete that drive or you will not be able to boot.
This was added when you re-installed 7 by the installation which it will do. In the 100MB "System Reserve" contains all the boot information, so DO NOT delete it.

Regards,

Don

Don,
Thank you for your reply. To clarify some, I should not delete the K drive even if I do a complete install starting with a reformatted HHD?
Or will the K drive be reformatted when I do the reformat of my HHD? I'm a little confused now. Could you explain a little more?
Thank you,
GhopR:confused:

If you plan on doing another reformat/reinstall, then you won't have an issue deleting that "System Reserve" drive, which you would want to do to prevent any dupe file/folders/drives.
The new installation will just create a new "System Reserve".
Whenever you do a clean/fresh install or a re-install, it's always best to wipe/reformat the entire drive, this will prevent any "old." files from appearing.

Hope this helps

Don.

If you plan on doing another reformat/reinstall, then you won't have an issue deleting that "System Reserve" drive, which you would want to do to prevent any dupe file/folders/drives.
The new installation will just create a new "System Reserve".
Whenever you do a clean/fresh install or a re-install, it's always best to wipe/reformat the entire drive, this will prevent any "old." files from appearing.

Hope this helps

Don.

Yes, Don, that helped to clear it up for me.
Thanks, again.
Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Back