Windows 7 Windows 7 says i am not an administrator

nabber

Ok so for some reason my OS says i am not the administrator on my laptop although this is the only account on my laptop that is administrator I have tried to create a new account but for some reason it wont load the next screen when i click create new account another thing is when i try the run as administrator for some programs i get a windows cannot find (file directory) if anyone has answers please help cause im debating on just reformatting but really dont want to do that

Hi

Some thing require a higher level of administrator to work.
Part of Windows 7s over protectiveness.

How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type

net user administrator /active:yes

and then press Enter.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in ….

net user administrator /active:no

Mike

Hi Mike, I have that same problem. When I try to do the command line you suggest, system says Error 5, Access Denied. I am logged on as the only user and have Administrator privileges.

Hi

Make sure that you Right click on the "Prompt" link and select "Run as Administrator" to open the prompt.
I've never seen a case where that didn't work.

Have you tried this fix...

Link Removed - Not Found

I
've found this very useful.

Mike

Like, Forever, we've been telling everyone to get, run and use "Take Ownership". Eh?

A Great upgrade to "Take Ownership", is "Grant Full Admin Control", which I call T.O. on steroids! :tongue:

It's one of the first things I install on every new Win-7 PC that I have to set up.
Right after disabling UAC (what a nuisance that is!!!).

Then you can right click on any file or folder and Grant yourself Full Administrator Control of that thing.
It just makes life with Windows 7 a lot easier.
JFYI:..... It's also backward compatible with XP and Vista.

If you're going to Take Ownership of a large folder like C:\Windows\ it's going to take a while, because it goes one file at a time.
So, be patient!
Take a break or go get a Cold Drink!

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Last edited:
Back