Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

Here we go guys' I'am setting up my hardware/software test machine with windows 7 RTM, gonna install Windows 7 SP1 on it. the torrent took 14 hours on a 256kbps connection.:)

Took 1 hour to install on the test computer, Everything looks OK, will wait a few hours before putting it on the other two computers.

Re: Downloading service pack 1, think I'll wait a week to install it! LOL

pretty much as long as size and md5 match to whats in post 1 then all should be good with install I haven't read of anything else going toes up from installing it yet

I installed it yesterday and it's running fine on my W7 Ultimate 32 bit machine.

I have read that there are no perfomance improvements in this SP1.

So what's the point if there are no performance improvements or are there?:confused:

Mike, I'm downloading the right one from softpedia now LOL :D

I installed it yesterday and it's running fine on my W7 Ultimate 32 bit machine.

I have read that there are no perfomance improvements in this SP1.

So what's the point if there are no performance improvements or are there?:confused:

I'm not so sure about the performance thing, say what you will that its just a combination of hotfixes etc, but my machine seems to have cleared up a few of the odd behaviors it was having.. and I was completely up to date. One of the most annoying issues I had is anytime UAC would popup to request admin privs, it would hang a little and even after OKing the dialog it took a second and screen flashed to get back to Windows, now that problem is completely gone for me :)

My test system has got a little faster, Dunno if it is the SP1 and that it has other patches including the ones that have already been released or adding 1 gb stick to it making the total ram to 4GB before I even updated to SP1. I even got two updates on the new RTM SP1 which are: Definition update for windows Defender - KB915597 and a Security Update for Windows 7 for x64 based systems and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 based systems - KB916117

I don't think the SP1 actually has any performance boost of itself. I think just the act of applying it kinda realigns everything and puts things where they belong. Does that make sense? My system seems slightly faster too.

Why are people still installing this? It's not the RTM. This thread should have been locked or removed.

Dude, the reson is 1) People are excited about it, 2) we all here (Members, Moderators and admins are 80% sure this is the real thing) The KB is right, the signature is fine, MD5 Checksum is matching and it's fine, The size is matching and is fine and certainly there ain't any viruses in this also when installed there is no watermark/s or Time bombs/Stamps. :) Being that this file was the one sent to OEM's on the night of the 14th and leaked soon after, suggest's a person from either microsoft or an OEM Leaked this. 3) As Mike, our admin said in the meeting we will keep this up, untill a time that we are or Microsoft has email, phoned or issused a take down notice. so till then it's up and staying up and it will be continued to be downloaded and talked about.

The link to softpedia does not work, its only 32 bit
If you click the first "download" button on the left, it will bring you to a page where you can choose the x64 or the x86 version (on the right). Confused me too for a second, but i figured it out!

Once it was posted on Softpedia, I to downloaded it. I installed it it. It is up and running with no hitch. Just for my info is there away to get rid of all the old KB updates prior to SP1 to clean and free HD space,
Also for my personal edification is there a way to uninstall SP1 the RTM version

My Bad, I was talking about the SP1 that was just released to OEMs it is not in the installed updates, My Error it is in installed updates , I had a Senior movement on this oops I mean Senior Moment

Sarge, if you run the cleanup tool posted by Mike on page 1 of this thread it will remove the uninstall files for the SP but I think it will remove
the old KB files as well.
Not sure about that but when I ran it it restored about 2 GB of disk space.
Much more than the 500 MB of space used by the SP.

BTW, I think it's interesting to note that until the Softpedia link was posted some folks expressed
reservations about this SP
Once a Softpedia link was posted those same folks hopped on board.

Is this a vote of confidence for Mike and this forum or a vote of confidence for Softpedia?

Yes the tip worked. Yes you are right about Softpedia, I will not use Torrent period. Also I think some ISPs have issues over P2P use, not sure about that as I do not use P2P.
However I did do a full image backup using Macrium prior to installing the SP1 so I can go back if needed. It is vote for both.

Yeah, Sarge I won't use torrents either.

I didn't see where Softpedia posted the md5 hashes, this would have further verified if they had.

Maybe they did but I couldn't see them.

Did anyone get the x64 version and find 3 folders in just the C:\, being: 04224de24c507825bb3be301cf, fba02c06f91ebe5b26b98242 and fcae2967c33610319138e5cc78

I do not see these, even with operating system files unhidden. Check the date and time on these? They could be remnants of prior installs of some updates.

Back