Windows 7 Windows 7 slowed to a crawl

dtallon

My system has slowed to a crawl (and rebooting makes no difference). Every mouse click takes anything between 10 and 60 seconds to get a response and most programmes state 'not responding'.

When I boot into Safe Mode it's fine, so I'm guessing it's not a hardware problem. I tried rolling back to a system restore point
just before some software and updates were installed (they were updates to Acrobat Reader plus installs of a You Tube downloader and a Video Format Comverter) but it makes no difference.

I tried looking at the Event Viewer but couldn't make much sense of it.

Presumably, if I can start in Safe Mode and then gradually add whatever else loads I can find the culprit - but how do I go about
doing that?

Don't know if it's relevant but Windows Explorer keeps falling over (which it seems to do a lot) and Kaspersky Anti_Virus was
reporting a database corruption, but it now seems to have recovered form that since I rolled back to the restore point - though
unfortunately it wont run in safe mode.

Did you do a clean install of 7 or did you upgrade ? Upgrade is known to cause problems sometimes.

Could it be a software conflict ? Perhaps you have maxed out settings in your Kaspersky security which when set to a highest level of maximum protection can cause slow-downs ?

Did you do a clean install of 7 or did you upgrade ? Upgrade is known to cause problems sometimes.

Could it be a software conflict ? Perhaps you have maxed out settings in your Kaspersky security which when set to a highest level of maximum protection can cause slow-downs ?

I did an upgrade from Vista Home premium to Win 7 Home, and since I got it (when it was first launched) it's been more or less fine.

This is not just a bit of a slow down - it's a massive slow down on what is a mid-spec machine that normally flys along with W7 (and Vista for that matter).

Could be somethng to do with Kaspersky though - as it keeps saying it can't start.....

Back