Windows 7 Windows 7 Start Up Sound?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I have asked about changing the Windows 7 Start UP Sound in the past and found it impossible to do. I can't change it or find the Windows one so that I can substitute my own for it.

What I'm wondering is if after disabling the standard startup sound is there a way to write a .bat file or something that will instruct Windows to play a particular .wav file during the startup process.

I remember that I did this at one time clear back it the Windows 3.1 days.

I know it's kind of obsessive to want my own sound, but I have a computer sound theme based on the Text Aloud, Lucy voice that I have used for years and everything is there and working except my greeting.

It's kind of a standing joke that I have the only computer in Michigan with a British accent.

For example my Exit Windows sound is "Cheerio Michael, I'll see you later", with a very nice female British accent. My computer doesn't beep, it sys "Beep", It says "Logging Out", and then, "I'm Back" when I log back in etc.

I would just like to have my greeting back. I was going to link to a sample here but I don't know how to save a sound file online, only images. Is there a way to store and link to sound files online?

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for then link, I'll check it out and see if it is something that I think I can do safely.
I'll just have to make sure I have a backup if things go wonkie.

Mike

Hi

I gave it a try but I ran into a problem with the ResHacker software.

After getting everything ready when I open the file in ResHacker nothing shows up in the Window?

Here are a couple of screen shots.

The first shows the open file dialog box ready to hit Open.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

The second shows the ResHacker Window after I click on the open button.
Notice that it now shows the name of the file at the top of the window.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I can't get any farther then that.

Mike

Hmm.. Did you take ownership of the original file in the Windows directory? Also, you have to run resource hacker as an administrator.

Res hacker works just copy your Imageres.dll to a different location modify it with res-hacker then if you have taken ownership of the Dll in its proper location re-name it to Old or what ever you want and then copy and paste the one you modified in a different location to its proper location at least that is what worked for me. I use the Operational one from HAL space Odyssey 2001, on my vista laptop I use welcome Dave from Space Odyssey 2001. For my Logon sound I use star Treks Ignition thrust

Well I went through the whole thing again.

I downloaded ResHacker, the latest beta version.
I re-saved the file to my desktop, I took ownership of it, I ran ResHacker as Administrator.

When I open the file it still shows the file name as if it is open but nothing shows up in the window where the folders should show.

Just as a test I tried opening the ResHacker.exe file itself in ResHacker and it opened and displayed folders normally.

Mike

Hi

I figured it out, the version I downloaded "Resource Hacker 3.5.0.82 Beta / 3.4.0.79" does not support 64bit files.

I found another version "3.5.0.84 Beta" that does and it opened to file.
The location is posted in a message on the ResHacker home page.

Resource Hacker

Mike

Hi Mitchell

I got it done and it works.
Didn't screw up my computer or anything! LOL

I now have my complete British sound scheme in place.
Great to have my computer greet me again.

Mike

Hi

You should probably start a new post about your problem (this post goes back to 2009) if you want to get a lot of people to see it, but you can start by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize.

Then go to Sounds and see what sounds are set to play, you can try them there and see if they work or not.

If they don't and you have other issues as well, then I'd start by reinstalling your sound drivers, or uninstall your sound device in Device Manager, and reboot.

This will force Windows to reinstall all the drivers for your device and configure it to the default settings.

Mike

Back