Windows 7 Windows 7 Startup and Shutdown blue swirly icon

Tay Song Nian

For some reason, my blue swirly icon doesn't seems to be animating(spinning) like it should. My msconfig GUI is unchecked.
Also, after that, it seems to be lagging for a few seconds. Programs taking a longer time to load.
I bought this laptop 1 month ago. It's a i7-2640M 2.8ghz 64bit 8gb ram.

Anyone have any idea what went wrong?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
1 month doesn't seem like a lot of time, but I suppose it depends on a lot of variables, like what you've installed during that time either intentionally or perhaps unintentionally.
Check the msconfig startup tab by typing msconfig after clicking the start orb and inspect what's there. Too many apps or unnecessary services starting at boot time can impact system performance overall.
Another method is to launch the System Information utility
type msinfo32 into the search box after clicking the Start Orb
Expand Software Environment and select Startup Programs.
If you suspect a possible infection then you can grab a blank CD and this program What is Windows Defender Offline? (get the correct version for your architecture 32 or 64 bit) use it to create a bootable CD, boot from the CD and run a FULL System Scan.
I wouldn't do too much more than the above to resolve the issue on a brand new Laptop. I would consider seeking a remedy through your place of purchase or through the manufacturer.
Regards
Randy

Hello and thank you Randy.
Since i'm a total noob at computers, i think i'll just go with:
''I wouldn't do too much more than the above to resolve the issue on a brand new Laptop. I would consider seeking a remedy through your place of purchase or through the manufacturer.''
Seems to be the safest for me.

Sounds like a plan to me.
What will likely happen is that whichever resource you choose to involve will likely insist that you return your laptop to it's original pre-delivery condition by using one of several possible methods.
In any case, if you have any critical data stored on your new laptop over the past month (emails, music, documents, photos, etc.,) please make sure that in advance of doing anything else back that data up first to an external medium of some type (USB, DVD, etc.,).
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Randy

Back