Windows 7 Windows 7 Video Lag

Curteye1983

Extraordinary Member
I found that performance has dropped a bit since switching from Vista (32 bit) to 7 (32 bit). Vista has always run smoothly for me but since trying out Windows 7 I've noticed lag in several areas such as:

- Choppy screensaver
- Highlight box (when holding button down on desktop and dragging over icons) is jumping
- Framerate when playing videos in realplayer doesn't seem to be up to par
- Typing lag
- A bit of jumpiness when moving windows around, or minimizing them
- World of Warcraft is choppy when in windowed mode (but runs fine in full screen mode)

Hopefully that all makes sense. The choppiness isn't overly horrible but definitely enough to be easily noticable.

Here are my relevant specs:
-Core 2 Quad 2.4
-4 GB RAM
-8MB Cache
-500 GB HD (75% free)
-nVidia 8600 GTS

I'm pretty sure this issue has 'video driver issue' written all over it. I updated to the drivers that nVidia released specifically for windows 7 under windows update (their "prerelease WDDM 1.1") but it didn't seem to help.

Any thoughts or suggestions or similiar experiences to share would be greatly appreciated!

I found that performance has dropped a bit since switching from Vista (32 bit) to 7 (32 bit). Vista has always run smoothly for me but since trying out Windows 7 I've noticed lag in several areas such as:

- Choppy screensaver
- Highlight box (when holding button down on desktop and dragging over icons) is jumping
- Typing lag
- World of Warcraft is choppy when in windowed mode (but runs fine in full screen mode)

Hopefully that all makes sense. The choppiness isn't overly horrible but definitely enough to be easily noticable.

-Core 2 Quad 2.4
-4 GB RAM
-8MB Cache
-500 GB HD (75% free)
-nVidia 8600 GTS

I'm pretty sure this issue has 'video driver issue' written all over it. I updated to the drivers that nVidia released specifically for windows 7 under windows update (their "prerelease WDDM 1.1") but it didn't seem to help.

Any thoughts or suggestions or similiar experiences to share would be greatly appreciated!

Are you still having this issue? If so, which driver are you using?

Go to Nvidia web and download Vista Drivers

I had installed these drivers for nvidia that we can see in windows update, but i don't know what they do.
So I installed Vista Drivers and all is fine now

meandyou: Yes, I am still having this issue. like I said, I'm using the drivers offered that nVidia released specifically for windows 7 under windows update (their prerelease WDDM 1.1).

JohnCiber: I had the latest drivers for vista installed before upgrading to windows 7, therefore the lag issue was apparent before and after getting the one from windows update.

However, I've since managed to narrow down the issue to themes that include windows aero...that is, by choosing a basic theme the lag problem went away. My system is fairly fast and had no issues with aero while running vista but for some reason does with windows 7.

meandyou: Yes, I am still having this issue. like I said, I'm using the drivers offered that nVidia released specifically for windows 7 under windows update (their prerelease WDDM 1.1).

honestly, i recommend that everyone use vista driver version than win 7 driver(for the moment).

WMP & WMC sound/ vision synch problem

I'm having a similar problem but it has to do with video and sound synching. WMP & WMC play the sound out of synch but only when playing certain HD files with either .wmv or .divx extensions. When playing these files in the Divx Player there is no problem with synching. I uninstalled the K-Lite 64 bit codec pack I had installed and this has also not resolved the issue. I never experienced this problem in Windows Vista Home Premium.

I've got the Win. 7 drivers for my EVGA GeForce 8600GT installed, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme Audio drivers [installed under Vista & as Administrator].I'm having a similar problem but it has to do with video and sound synching. WMP & WMC play the sound out of synch but only when playing certain HD files with either .wmv or .divx extensions. When playing these files in the Divx Player there is no problem with synching. I uninstalled the K-Lite 64 bit codec pack I had installed and this has also not resolved the issue. I never experienced this problem in Windows Vista Home Premium.

I've got the Win. 7 drivers for my EVGA GeForce 8600GT installed, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme Audio drivers [installed under Vista & as Administrator].

my solution

i had also been having problems with the quality of video playback and used all the recommendations in this thread and nothing worked. After 30 or so minutes of good playback it would start to get choppy again...that is until i accidentally figured out what the problem might be. I like using my laptop on the sofa and bed where its comfortable and the problem was that my laptop kept getting over heated. I never had the problem in vista but whenever i watched a video with my laptop on the sofa or bed no air was getting to it and caused the video lag. I even took the laptop off the sofa and had it in the air and the videos played PERFECTLY!! For hours!! So now i'm getting one of those laptop tables :)

I kinda feel a bit "special" for not realizing it...

- Choppy screensaver
- Typing lag

-Core 2 Quad 2.4
-4 GB RAM
-8MB Cache
-500 GB HD (75% free)
-nVidia 8600 GTS

Have you found any resolutions? I have the exact same problem as you described... Even though it's almost 2 years since you posted your problem. It's as if "everything under the mouse" starts lagging. This problem occurs on both my laptop with Windows Vista 64-bit and an NVIDIA 8400M AND on my desktop with Windows 7 64-bit and an ATI 5750!

I've also found a patch up fix for the lag problem: Just hit Windows-Tab to activate the 3D window switcher. Activating any full screen 3D will immediately resolve the video lag problem that you described on both my Vista and 7 systems... I though this was just a problem on windows 7 with ATI, but it's also happening on my Vista laptop with NVIDIA!

Please let me know if you have a real solution. Otherwise, we should let microsoft know about this, and hopefully they'll fix it. I end up hitting Windows-Tab like 10 times every day to clear up the problem, because the lag keeps coming back, but I never know what causes it!

Allen

I have win7 64-bit installed and have the same basic problem. Videos are lagging and i cant fix it. Any solutions or should i go back to winXP -_-?

I've discovered over time that the problem comes back in different nVidia drivers over time. If you use nVidia as well, go to their drivers archive and try some different (recent) versions - it's worked for me before.

Even as we speak, I have a GeForce 9800 GTX and the latest drivers are version 260.99 with that problem so I downgraded to version 258.96 for now until later drivers are released.

I have ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series
There was 1 update for graphic card in win auto update so ill w8 and see did it fix the problem. If not ill try to find some older drivers for my graphic card. Tnx

JohnCiber: I had the latest drivers for vista installed before upgrading to windows 7, therefore the lag issue was apparent before and after getting the one from windows update.

However, I've since managed to narrow down the issue to themes that include windows aero...that is, by choosing a basic theme the lag problem went away. My system is fairly fast and had no issues with aero while running vista but for some reason does with windows 7.

This fixed my problem too. Apparently windows aero and windows 7 is screwing my system up. Oh well, having to use a basic theme isn't the end of the world.

Hello,
This lagging mostly occurs due to corruption in Windows registry and the presence of any malicious virus in your system. Sometimes, however, old PCs may also experience lagging while running Windows 7 operating system.

One: If you are running many programs simultaneously? If yes, Windows 7 lag is likely to happen.
Two: Congested or Corrupt Windows 7 registry.

I faced the problem mostly but i fixed it completely, i got some help from this article Link Removed - Invalid URL . Hope someone might get help from this article also.

Back