Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Internet Issues

ShoobieStomper

Honorable Member
Hey, guys! I'm new to the forum! :) I really need some help. I have an ASUS M11BB. I bought it about a year ago and it was fine for about six months, but now I am crazy internet problems. It will be fine and then all of a sudden it will just drop the internet. I then have to keep refreshing pages or reset the router to see if that helps. It is really getting on my nerves because I know it's not the router or modem. EVERYTHING else in the house works fine. I have tried both an automatic IP and a static IP. Nothing has done the trick. I think it could have been an update or something that messed it up. I know many people have had this problem, but I don't know if anyone has fixed it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

- Alex

Hi Alex,
You have two network options; wired and wireless... which one gives the above issue and does using the other one solve it?

There are half a dozen reasons your wireless could be dropping out; anything from a failed driver update or an overtaxed cpu/ ram cycles to something as simple as putting a stereo speaker between the router and system…

1. If the ASUS M11BB has network issues, this is the first I’ve heard of it.

2. Ime a desktop system should always be plugged based unless there is some reason it must be wireless… like placing it in the centre of a room. If plugging it into a wired network solved your issue then great.

I hope it works out but if not then feel free to post back and we’ll take a new look.

As ussnorwy said if at all possible you should have the computer plugged into the router.
You will get a faster and more stable connection.

If you have to do it wirelessly you can try uninstalling your wireless Network Adapter in Device Manager and reboot your computer.

It will force Windows to redetect and reconfigure it to the default settings.

DeviceManager_zpsc08f777b.jpg

Right click on it and select Uninstall.
Hopefully it will go back to working as it did before.

Mike

Awesome! Thank you for all the replies and sorry for the late response. I will try a couple things and then get back to you all. :)

As ussnorwy said if at all possible you should have the computer plugged into the router.
You will get a faster and more stable connection.

If you have to do it wirelessly you can try uninstalling your wireless Network Adapter in Device Manager and reboot your computer.

It will force Windows to redetect and reconfigure it to the default settings.

DeviceManager_zpsc08f777b.jpg

Right click on it and select Uninstall.
Hopefully it will go back to working as it did before.

Mike
Hi, Mike! Thanks for the reply! I uninstalled my adapter and it asked if I also wanted to delete the the driver for it and I checked that. How do I get it to re-install?

Whden you reboot Windows should detect the "new" device and install the driver for it

Well, I have rebooted a couple times now, but no luck. Does my computer need to have some sort of internet connection in order for it to detect the adapter? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Hi

It should detect it without any help.

Detecting the adapter and connecting to the net is the first thing that Windows does.

Even before it is completely installed Windows logs in to Microsoft and downloads drivers and updates.

So the fact that it doesn't leads my to think that there may be something wrong with the adapter.

Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the router?

It would be good to know if that works or not.

Look in Device Manager again and see if it shows the adapter as it was before.
If it is there and still not working, does it have a exclamation mark on it.
Or does it say this device is working normally?

Mike

My Wifi experience with Windows 8.1 has not been exceptionally pleasant either. I've experienced this phenomenon of wifi drops for no apparent reason. My laptop is a Samsung RV511 that came with Windows 7 Home Premium. I clean installed windows 8 Pro and everything worked fine....then got the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro and the Wifi drop issues began. I go back to 8 Pro and not one problem with the wifi....move back to 8.1 Pro and instantly the wifi drops begin.

I've used the 7 drivers, used 7 drivers in compatibility mode, updated the latest from Intel and still the issue persists. I've done some googling and it seems to be a known issue for a lot of windows 8.1 users.....some experience it while others don't....go figure.

For me, after a week of this it seems to level off to some what that I actually forget about the drops. Then it will rear it's ugly head again for a couple of days then go away for 3 weeks of so. I just went through this ordeal again when we moved and the new house has been wired for fiber optics....and I had to get a new modem/router from my ISP and holy crap it's was the worst I been through. Like before, a week later it has leveled off some and tolerable at the moment.

I usually just disconnect and reconnect the wifi connection and it works for a bit - days. Other times, when it's really bad I'll reboot my modem/router or reset it to factory defaults and that works only temporarily.

Hi, guys! I'm sorry for the hiatus. The holiday season was very busy for me and I hope you all had a great one! :) I am finally able to fiddle with my desktop again and I'm currently using Ethernet and it works fine, but I can't keep it like this because of our animals. Anyway, here is my issue right now.

upload_2015-1-11_23-19-39.png

upload_2015-1-11_23-20-42.png

I am missing this driver and I cannot find it. Can any of you help with this?

Thanks in advance!

- Alex

Back