Windows 8 windows 8.1 preview install problems

JAMES MCDONALD

I have a nvidia geforce 9300m GS 256 MB. I assume it is A MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver?

So direct x9 is 2007 or so vintage and I have a WDDM DRIVER FOR WIN 7. NOW WHY CAN'T I INSTALL WIN 8.1 PREVIEW. Retail stores are selling 8 with computers with BIOS not UEFI.
Could it be only a security issue and what is it?
JAMES

What OS are you running now? Windows 8 works wit both legacy BIOS and the new UEFI BIOS. Have you tried burning the 8.1 ISO and clean installing or dual booting?

PS...at the end of this month, 8.1 will be released as RTM, so no more preview.

I am running windows 7 on the computer and trying to install the preview formatted and clean on a small area larger than what's recommended for installing 32 bit space. Tried doing this on two different computers and get an MS error code of 8 ...... on both. Even if I install the RTM I don't want to change my computer to fit win 8.1. I am using the ISO THAT checked ok with SHA-1 hash value.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 is a preview and is not complete. It is still in development. It is essentially a public release candidate, while they collect data from it and continue to develop internal builds until no errors are found. Your NVIDIA card is also DirectX 10 and should be fine for this OS. If it runs Windows 7, it will generally run Windows 8. It does not require UEFI. You just buy Windows 8 and see if that works. The difference between 8 and 8.1 is not extremely different. There is no way to say "this pre-release software is not working" and feel justified that no one has answered. It is an incomplete pre-release. I have no intent to offend you, but this is reality.

If you can provide the exact error code, maybe this can be diagnosed, by searching for existing Windows 8 error codes.

If its a Blue Screen stop code, the exact 0x number is needed a long with the error message you are getting. More information is needed to diagnose your problem.

Also, please provide full system specifications, including motherboard, chipset, CPU, memory, HD space, video graphics, network adapter, etc.

Windows 8.1 Preview and Windows RT 8.1 Preview are stable and have been thoroughly tested, but aren't the finished product. Your PC could crash and you could lose important files. You should back up your data and you shouldn't test the preview on your primary home or business PC. You might also encounter problems like:

• Software that doesn’t install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs.

• Printers, video cards, or other hardware that doesn’t work.

• Difficulty accessing corporate or home networks.

• Damage to some of your files.

Back