Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Refresh/Recovery

redserpent7

I recently did an update of my machine from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. The update process did not show any errors or warnings and by the time it finished I was under the impression that everything went smooth.

After the update I was testing the environment and discovered that one of my desktop applications stopped working, I went to the developer's website and indeed I found there is a known issue with their software on 8.1 and to solve it, I had to completely uninstall the software and then install it once more. So I went to Programs and Features in order to do so and to my surprise the Uninstall button was missing from the interface. Right-clicking an item and selecting uninstall from the menu gives a warning message suggesting that the application might have already been uninstalled and asks if I wanted to remove the application from the Programs list. However, clicking OK or Cancel just closes the message box and nothing happens.

So in my frustration I went and tried to Refresh My PC; Once I clicked Refresh My PC the verification process started and indeed it told my that some system files are missing and that it should take care of it provided I insert my Windows disc. Now since its an OTA update from Win 8 to 8.1 I thought that MS knows that some people will not have a physical copy of 8.1 and so I inserted my Windows 8 Pro System Builder disc hoping it would work, but sadly as you might have guessed, it did not. It told me that I needed the 8.1 recovery disc.

Now I have been looking everywhere for a recovery image to download and use to fix my problem, everywhere I go it suggests that I make my own copy. But how am I supposed to do that if my Windows is faulty and has missing files. I really don't wanna go back to Windows 8 and re-upgrade to 8.1. I have a monitored internet bandwidth and I cannot go and download the 3 GB 8.1 update once more.

Can someone please help? How can I repair my 8.1 machine?

Searching online I came across this article describing how to get an ISO image for 8.1 with a Windows 8 product Key. However, entering my Windows 8 Pro System Builder (OEM) key in the box fails and tells me that the key I entered is not for this product. I am truly frustrated now.

regards

This takes longer and can be frustrating but you can reinstall Windows 8 and put all the updates in. Before you add your programs go ahead and upgrade to 8.1. Once you do that you should be able to put what you want back in without having any problems.

Thanks but I was really hoping for a faster solution.

Chances are, you will have to reinstall Win 8 and start from there again.

However, I'd like to point a few things out to you.......
1. RE : Uninstall button was missing from the interface
I have Win 8.1 Pro. Uninstall button does not appear until you select an item.
Image 1.png

2. RE : Right-clicking an item and selecting uninstall from the menu gives a warning message suggesting that the application might have already been uninstalled

There are programs there are NOT compatible with Win 8.1, such as older versions of Avast. When Win 8.1 is installed, those that are incompatible will NOT get installed.
Although the Programs and Features still lists those programs, physically they are not present in the system. Hence you receive that error message.

3. RE : it told my that some system files are missing
Wonder if it is "missing" literally, or "corrupted".
Why don't you do a system file check and see what it tells you. System File Check is to look for corrupt files. If it finds any, it will try to do repair.
When it is done, it will give you a report which will say one of the followings. Paraphrasing ......
..... no integrity violation
..... found corrupt files and repair successfully
..... found corrupt files but unable to repair.

How to do system file check....
on your win 8.1 desktop, press Win logo key + X key > at the popup box, select Command prompt (admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line......
sfc /scannow
press Enter.

It will take quite a while.
If it says it has found and successfully repaired the corrupt files, try the Win 8.1 again.

3. RE : the article
You overlooked the last 2 paragraphs.
excerpt :
Not much, actually, unless of course you do have a Windows 8.1 product key.......
This version of Windows 8.1 Setup prompts for a Windows 8.1 product key, and your Windows 8 product key—from a PC, MSDN/TechNet, or a retail version—will not work.

4. RE : recovery disk
Win 8.1 has the features whereby you can create Repair disk and Recovery Disk.
It also has a feature to do System Image Backup which I do it regularly, about once a week. I had a problem once and I used it to restore a working system.
But those aren't any good to you if your Win 8.1 is a faulty install.

Last edited:
Seems like the real problem is with the one piece of third party software. What happens when you try to reinstall it?

Does the publisher have a special removal utility? There may even be an uninstaller in the applications folder, probably in the Program Files (x86) folder. Or any instructions as to what you could remove manually?

Have you scanned the registry for that entry so you could possibly remove it from there? I cannot suggest you change anything in the registry since doing so can cause problems. But something to think about if you are going to reinstall anyway.

Actually the Uninstall button is missing from everything. And yes I do highlight an item before clicking uninstall. The weird thing there that I discovered is that the uninstall button do exist. when I move the mouse next to the Organize button.

Untitled.png

Also this happens for all desktop applications. And here is the error when I try to uninstall Adobe Flashplayer for example:

Untitled2.png

I also did a system scan and this is the result I got after the verification is complete:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Checking CBS.log There is a bunch of ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND errors scattered in that file

Last edited:
I would run the command below, while online and see if it would correct some of the problems. Run SFC again afterward to see if it completes without errors.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

To see what files might be corrupted from the SFC scan you can run the command below and then check the resulting text file. Near the bottom there should be a listing of the ones that you unable to be repaired.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

But you are seeing some strange things. If this cleanup doesn't help, possibly the errant program is causing the problems, but you may need to take the next step..

I would run the command below, while online and see if it would correct some of the problems. Run SFC again afterward to see if it completes without errors.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

To see what files might be corrupted from the SFC scan you can run the command below and then check the resulting text file. Near the bottom there should be a listing of the ones that you unable to be repaired.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

But you are seeing some strange things. If this cleanup doesn't help, possibly the errant program is causing the problems, but you may need to take the next step..

I did the online image cleanup and sadly it did not work, sic still shows errors and still no uninstall button.

So I think the only solution is to reinstall win 8 and upgrade to 8.1.

Hi

When you get Windows 8 reinstalled make a system image of it before you update to 8.1again.
Mine saved my sanity, by letting me go right back to where I was after the 8.1 snafu.

I'm going to wait for 6 months before I try it again.

I just ran into things that I couldn't get to work in 8.1 that work fine in 8 especially sound issures.
I couldn't find a driver for me Sound Blaster card that would work correctly with Windows 8.1.
I still would like to upgrade but I'm going to give it some time to shake out first.

Mike

Just so everyone knows. You can install 8 & 8.1 from a flash drive without any extra software being needed, even if you have a uefi. Worked on both my notebook and desktop last week. Both have uefi's, instead of bios's. SecureBoot on both is fully working on each with the bootable flash drive's that were made by the Windows 8.1 download. For the notebook, which doesn't have a optical drive and the Windows 8 key stored on it's motherboard. I just put my Windows 8 dvd in my desktop and copied it all to a flash drive. The flash drive booted on the notebook and clean installed 8. Then it was upgraded to 8.1.

I had Win 7. I then created the Win 8 disc with product key from the iso file. Then went through the store to Win 8.1.
I now have an 8.1 disc I made with the iso but no 8.1 product key.
I have the older BIOS which I don't think is recognized as is the newer UEFI.
I have read about pausing and then installing but the activation seems confusing.
Would the 8 iso to flash drive get me an 8.1 install?

You can install Windows 8 from the flash drive and then update to 8.1 through the Windows 8 App store with no additional product key
It seems like the easiest way to do it based on the messages about it that I've read.

Mike

I have read some say the Win 8.1 was removed from the store when they tried. I do not know if it was permanent or due to a greater amount of users who had trouble with refresh and reset being broken so went to the store. Is the Store, Refresh and Reset all ok now, to your knowledge?
Btw, don't overlook Compatibility as far as the Comcast Home page goes - it made the difference for me with the home page and much more. I was ready to give up and called Comcast who clued me in.

As far as clean installing 8.1 with a 8 product key, it won't work. They have generic product key's to get 8.1 to clean install.I used the following generic key to install 8.1 Pro :
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9 That one's only good for 8.1 Pro, not regular 8.1. For it you need to do a search for generic Windows 8.1 activation/product key. Now once in 8.1 you need to go to the Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and Devices in the Charms Bar. Once there click to change your product key and enter the Windows 8 product key. Now activate your pc.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's their problem, since a number of people have the same thing.
It's been this way for 2 years, it seems like they would have fixed it by now.
I don't think that it hits everyone, but it has on both of my Windows 8 computers.

At first I thought it had something to do with my computer, but it's the same on my new computer.
My wife's new Asus Laptop will be here on Tuesday it will be interesting to see what happens on that.

Mike

Yeah, that's kind of like my new notebook. It'll be 2-3 feet from my router, with nothing blocking it from the router and occasionally get a bad signal, with the most current driver's for it. Mine could be a Bright House issue. I've noticed, late at night, on occasion, a few tv channel's will go out. Channels like ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. Not channel's that ever go off the air. I think who ever at the cable company on grave yard shift, is falling asleep and accidently hitting button's to disable channel's. that happen's at least twice a week in my area, any where between11:30 P.M. and 3:00 A.M.

Back
Top Bottom