Windows 8 Windows 8 Booting and Starting Faster than Windows 7

I would have to agree completely, Windows 8 is much better in the boot-up time than Windows 7. ;) And Windows 7 is pretty quick so at least Windows 8 has that going for it.. ;)

I would have to agree completely, Windows 8 is much better in the boot-up time than Windows 7. ;) And Windows 7 is pretty quick so at least Windows 8 has that going for it.. ;)
Why is boot time so important? Is this all that Win 8 has to offer? To people who use their PCs for work and they usually only switch on their PCs once a day; Boot time is the least of their worries. The problem is that windows 8 is not designed for the professional but for people oriented towards the multimedia and smartphone mentality. As a professional I will stay clear away from Win 8!

I never understood the excitement over the faster boot time either. Unless you are testing software or hardware how often do most people boot their PC.
Joe

No one is saying that the only thing that matters is the boot time, we were simply commenting on the fact that Windows 8 has a much quicker boot time than Windows 7.. ;) Which is an important thing if you boot up more than once a day.. ;) I understand why you would say that you won't be using Windows 8 but I don't understand why you would say it quite like that.. "As a professional, I will stay clear away from Windows 8!" Are you saying that those of us currently using the new OS are not professionals?

1st of all, I am an IT Professional but, fortunately have big, broad shoulders; then again, maybe the reference was to professional painters or some other vocation not related to IT, @ all. One can view Windows 8 boot times which, are blazing fast, as a or one tip of an iceberg. It is nicer, more appealing to have a fast boot than wait around for 5 mins? Of, course, BUT... this is just one thing amongst many that is indicative of the fine technology that is Windows 8. In & of itself one might say boot time isn't that big a deal, although, why anyone would want to downplay a good thing, we had no idea. BUT, to suggest that this or the rest of the good in Windows 8 is reason to "stay clear away frim Windows 8" is not the least bit clear, @ all. Nor is it at all clear why comments, implying a condemnation of Win8 have to be made in a way that comes across as nasty & insulting towards other people & their intellect. Case in point, "windows 8 is not designed for the professional but for people oriented towards the multimedia and smartphone mentality", not to mention that the statement is basically false in what it infers... one of the major, achieved design goals was that it be a system for ALL devices AND it works beautifully on traditional, non-Touch PCs & laptops. MS needed to produce a consistent system for mobile devices AS WELL as traditional PCs & laptops and this has been accomplished. The greater role that mobile devices play or that need be given attention as use & needs evolve is increasing... along side of desktop use. Many of the achieved design goals were/are w/ an eye to Enterprise concerns, interests & needs. There are, indeed, many things, both technically & features, that make & are making it very exciting & attractive to business environments.

Regardless of how much value or emphasis one puts on boot times, there is a plethora, a cornucopia of meritorious technologies & features in Windows 8. Many of us are working w/ folks new to Windows 8 to help them discover, learn, use, understand & appreciate it. Naturally some will welcome Win 8, some won't & for some it will vary how easy & or exciting they find it. BUT, it is doubtful anyone will be enticed to even look at Windows 8 if all they are only emphatically told, w/out anything valid to support it, that it is the craziest thing to ever come down the pile & they are nuts for even looking at it.

People, Windows 8 is way more than alright & so are you.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your post sums it up very accurately, Drew.
Microsoft has completely re-invented the Windows ecosystem, unifying it as one across Xbox, WP8 and traditional PC's.

As for boot times, I think they've been greatly increased, but I also recently installed a SATA 6Gb/s SSD.. So 15 seconds from power on to ready to go is an accurate benchmark for me. :D

Mitchell, many thanks to you, as well. Very rewarding to see you guys say this. I do put a lot of thought & consideration into what Write. So, sincerely, THANK YOU! I'm very glad it is appreciated, as I appreciate what you both have expressed.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

i think it's just an illusion that win8 boots faster than win7

sure i can reach the desktop faster in win8 than win7, but my mouse driver hasn't even loaded yet (synaptics driver, allows for two finger scrolling, i can't two finger scroll until this driver loads)

IF, all things are fairly 'equal' the 'illusion' is there because Win8, actually, is faster. Due to its differing technology it will be.

If the 2 systems have roughly the same 'load' on them, on the same hardware, Windows 8 will be faster. Also, recommend not having programs enabled to be running @ Startup. The less there is of that, the faster bootup will be.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

IF, all things are fairly 'equal' the 'illusion' is there because Win8, actually, is faster. Due to its differing technology it will be.

If the 2 systems have roughly the same 'load' on them, on the same hardware, Windows 8 will be faster. Also, recommend not having programs enabled to be running @ Startup. The less there is of that, the faster bootup will be.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 698
I agree about the startup! My XP is very very fast at booting (less than 1 minute) while my win 7 is slow (4 minutes). I have done all that is possible to make win 7 as fast at booting as it used to be but to no avail. Perhaps win 8 boots fast now but will slow down as more software is installed? I don't know although I suspect that indeed win 8 is faster! Time will tell. :)

Win8 is much faster.

In the past as more was added into a machine, yes, could slow down. However, due 8's different boot technology, that I mentioned, that phenomenon, now, will not be seen so much anymore, with Windows 8.

If any indication, I have been running Win8 for about 9 months. No matter what all has been loaded in there is absolutely no noticeable slowdown, not in boot or steady-state spd.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Yes Windows 8 boots fast, no it is not that great of a thing and here is why.
1. When updates come out my Windows 8 system has to reboot much more often for some reason.
(Windows 8 boots 3 times to Windows 7 boots 2 times to a update)
2. Windows 8 is very picky about drivers so after it boots then it loads some drivers then hangs. i.e. No video or sound.
(Window 7 indicates a problem while booting while Windows 8 gives no clue as to what the problem is)
3. Windows 8 concept of booting is in bad need of debugging before being shoved out the door to the public.
(Even brand new systems designed for Windows 8 will crash after a update and drivers no longer respond.)

I do like the Windows 8 in speed on other things but slow IE 10 and drivers are a huge issue today.
Faster boot time does not make up for these issues.

Sure it boots faster but, that is only 1 of its many virtues. Sorry you are seeing the other issues you mention. I do not get any such behavior. Mine Updates as smoothly as can be & no negative impact on audio or video nor any difficulty finding drivers.

Cheers,
Drew

Yes Windows 8 boots fast, no it is not that great of a thing and here is why.
1. When updates come out my Windows 8 system has to reboot much more often for some reason.
(Windows 8 boots 3 times to Windows 7 boots 2 times to a update)
2. Windows 8 is very picky about drivers so after it boots then it loads some drivers then hangs. i.e. No video or sound.
(Window 7 indicates a problem while booting while Windows 8 gives no clue as to what the problem is)
3. Windows 8 concept of booting is in bad need of debugging before being shoved out the door to the public.
(Even brand new systems designed for Windows 8 will crash after a update and drivers no longer respond.)

I do like the Windows 8 in speed on other things but slow IE 10 and drivers are a huge issue today.
Faster boot time does not make up for these issues.

It sounds like you got off on the wrong foot with Windows 8. Regarding your reboot on update issue: Microsoft only publishes updates once a month, so suck it up buttercup. I'm sure the extra boot isn't the difference between life and death. Your second point, it sounds like you're talking about the BSOD? That's still present in Windows 8, but as with every iteration of Windows, you have to disable automatic restart on system failure in order to see the message. I've had Windows 8 since even before the first public beta and never once experienced a crash on boot (at least not one that was my own fault ;) ).

haha Suck it up buttercup. Way supportive ROFL. I've noticed that I can reboot the newer system which is on Win 8 and the older slower system that's on Win 7 at the same time and both will be ready to use about the same time. I think the faster boot of Win 8 is one of those things that if you really believe it, then it's there and that's cool with me. I rarely even reboot unless it's update time anyway. I've noticed with every Windows upgrade that some people have lots of problems. Vista had a bad rep, where I had zero problems with it, others had tons. Was the same with XP and Win 7, zero problems. I've had more to gripe about with 8 than any of those. We all know 95, 98 and MR were all dogs. I used to hate having to reboot multiple times a day over driver issues. So what I'm seeing in this forum is you have two camps. You have the Windows 8 Pollyannas who play the glad game and say it's wonderful and amazing, faultless. And that makes sense. It's the Win 8 forums. It's a place for the Win 8 lovers to ooo and ahhh at their newest found OS love together in the OS garden of Eden. Then you have the rest of us who live in the real world and see Windows 8 as a product that doesn't deserve the term "Upgrade" I see it as Windows 7 ugly evil step brother and Vista 2.0. Liking Windows 8 isn't a sign of lack of intelligence and neither is hating it, it's all preference. I'd prefer to trash the 80 bux I spent on 2 upgrades and take both machines back to Win 7. But doing it on my main system would mean hours and hours of updates and reinstalls and I just don't want to do it. I used Start 8 to hide the ugly so I can deal with the rest. So good luck to all the Win 8 lovers and haters. Use what works for ya ;) that's all that matters. And now for my New Years resolution ;)

It sounds like you got off on the wrong foot with Windows 8. Regarding your reboot on update issue: Microsoft only publishes updates once a month, so suck it up buttercup. I'm sure the extra boot isn't the difference between life and death. Your second point, it sounds like you're talking about the BSOD? That's still present in Windows 8, but as with every iteration of Windows, you have to disable automatic restart on system failure in order to see the message. I've had Windows 8 since even before the first public beta and never once experienced a crash on boot (at least not one that was my own fault ;) ).

Back