Windows 8 Windows 8 Consumer Preview Demonstration and Commentary

Do you have cold feet about going it alone with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview? You don't have to. Join me in a rational exploration of Windows 8 Consumer Preview. About 45 minutes in length, the video gives you a first hand look at the aesthetics and readily apparent features of Windows 8 CP. As we move closer to the release date, and aggregate even more information, I will take my demonstrations and reviews into the more in-depth features later on, but for now, take a sight seeing journey into what we see and what we can use readily thus far. I look forward to your comments, and hopefully your contributions. I am ready to give my subjective opinion, and hopefully, a bit of objective analysis. As I begin to explore the inner workings of this new system publicly, I hope that you will join me, either in celebration, condemnation, or a mixture of both!

Synopsis: Mike Fara over at http://windows8forums.com takes an interactive approach towards the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. By exploring, explaining, and discussing some common frustrations with the Consumer Preview, while also looking forward to what could be revolutionary changes for Microsoft Windows, we attempt to cover quite a bit in this nearly one hour demonstration. Included are some insights and opinions that may or may not be agreed upon by everyone. But one thing seems certain: Windows 8 is poised to turn heads on RTM. Will it look anything like the system that has currently been released for consumers to both test and, perhaps more importantly, react to? That is something that truly remains to be seen. This video is instructional in nature, at least to some degree, and contains an overview of what most Windows 8 Consumer Preview members will experience upon a first time install. The demonstration is filled with colorful commentary, and nothing is held back. Mike is a Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional, and also holds certifications as a MCSA, MCTS, CompTIA Network+ and A+ Remote Support Technician. He was awarded the Microsoft MVP award in April 2011, under Windows Consumer - Expert, and attended the Microsoft MVP Global Summit in February.

While the Windows 8 Consumer Preview certainly contains some interesting concepts and clearly in-development system improvements, there are also some nags that have lurked CP testers for awhile. What's behind all of this and how does Windows 8 CP shape up in comparison to other Microsoft Windows releases? Is such a comparison even fair? Even after an hour, Mike only manages to hit the tip of the iceburg.

Prepare to make some popcorn and take a look at some promising - or reviling - new features; all depending on how you may look at it. One thing is certain, Windows 8 Consumer Preview is an attempt at, quite literally, "a new start" for Microsoft Windows.

Last edited:
Mike
A very good video it helps explain more about the Metro. I don't use a fancy cell phone or hand held devices. I don't use Facebook or Twitter so a lot of that was foreign to me. I'm 63 and self taught about PCs and started with Win 98. Even though I'm more than an average user the Metro was overwhelming since MS didn't bother to supply much about it with the DP or this release. Just trying to shut it off the first time was quite frustrating. A little how to video on the startup from MS would have helped a lot. Unless they allow users to bypass Metro and go straight to desktop the people with minimum PC skills are going to be in a real bind. I'm a desktop user with a 22" monitor and don't want it to look like a cell phone. I find the W7 start orb and menu easier to use just click and scroll down and it was all in alphabetical order. The Metro in all apps area gets really full as you begin to install software. I installed Media Player Classic and codec pack and there are 23 items in the all apps just from that. I find the metro start of little use and unpinned most things and simply click on desktop only because you can't boot straight to desktop. I added a start orb and customized the desktop to suit me. I hope MS has another public release that is more finished. A lot of the apps at present don't work or sometimes work.
Joe

I had one app that didn't work at first (Perfect Disk), but it does now. Did have to dump Avast IS 7 & go with ESET Smart Security 5, as Avast's Firewall would install on one Windows 8 CP, but not the other. Being that I don't desire to run beta IS suites, I went with what I use on my other Windows OS's.

I believe that the final OS will be a bit more refined. The last that I read, there were around 100,000 improvements so far, probably many of them dealing with installation (which is far better than on 02/29/12) & behind the scenes issues. This was a Microsoft based article.

Great Video!

Cat

MS missed a big opportunity to make the introduction of Metro go smoother. They should have made the download a zip file with the ISO, a read this before installing file, and a little how to video. Then they irritated people by blocking the things people used in DP to bypass Metro. If the final desktop is Metro only like this present version can you imagine working in a place like Best Buy when people get it home and are totally unprepared!
Joe

MS missed a big opportunity to make the introduction of Metro go smoother. They should have made the download a zip file with the ISO, a read this before installing file, and a little how to video. Then they irritated people by blocking the things people used in DP to bypass Metro. If the final desktop is Metro only like this present version can you imagine working in a place like Best Buy when people get it home and are totally unprepared!
Joe
As well as making the "Geek Squad" employees look even dumber!

Cat

Back
Top Bottom