Windows 8 Windows 8 CP Alternative Start Menu

Launch Windows Explorer and then click the View tab on the toolbar.
Then place a check in the "Hidden items" box which should reveal a number of hidden files and folders, the one you want is "Program Data"

Next, right click the "Taskbar" and select Toolbars, then select the New Toolbar menu item which brings up a new window.
Next, double-click Program Data, then Microsoft, then Windows and click on "Start Menu", then click "Select Folder" That last selection will create a Start Menu toolbar which should appear on the far right of the taskbar, which you can now move to the left side of the Taskbar by right clicking the Taskbar and unlock it. Once moved, just re-lock the Taskbar.

It should result in this;

4ru8gx.jpg

Hope you enjoy Windows 8,

Don

I believe this has already been covered in several previous threads?

You may be right Dave, but I was unable to locate it, I looked in Windows 8 Discussion, Features & Improvements, Start Screen & Desktop and Programs & Applications.
If you find it, please let me know so I can remove this one.

Thanks
Don

I swear I posted it myself, together with about five other ways of implementing a menu. But darned if I can find it either. Might as well leave it in!

No harm no foul. A little redundancy is not necessarily a bad thing and if it is or was (and I do seem to recall something at least very similar) a duplication, I am sure it was without any negative intent. I suspect it might very well be the nature of the beast as we transition DP, CP and coming in a few days RP, we're just going to have some duplication of content.
I had one the other day http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-anti-virus-security/7164-alternative-typing-p-w.html#post9626 took me forever to find my previous post regarding that question.
Keep up the good work

Oh yeah, about the Picture method. That IS me who put that 1. Really, not intentional, I swear.

Cheers,
Drew

Microsoft:
Why not launch Windows Explorer and then click the View tab on the toolbar and click "Classical Menu"? - Many prefere that, and there would be no problem? Or, just keep the old 2003 start menu that worked perfectly?

Microsoft:
Why not launch Windows Explorer and then click the View tab on the toolbar and click "Classical Menu"? - Many prefere that, and there would be no problem? Or, just keep the old 2003 start menu that worked perfectly?

Would you be so kind as to show everyone where that "Classic Menu" selection in the "View" tab is.
2qdsd2a.jpg

Regards
Don

Yeah, I've sure never seen it, either. Even, looked, again, after reading this thread but, still, couldn't find it.

Regards,
Drew

For those of you who have not tried the classical menu, I think I can, perhaps, answer that. When you install classic, you are given the option to also install the legacy Windows explorer. If you do that, then, as the poster says, you have that option in "View". It seems that perofoslo has installed that option. It most certainly isn't there by default!

Back