Windows 8 Windows 8: Good or Bad?

All these people complaining about the powerful search in Windows 7 - have you ever tried adjusting your indexing options?

Mitchell, I am not trying to be a smart aleck here. I am asking a serious question. Perhaps I am in the wrong thread, but this is the thread you mentioned the issue, so I wish to proceed here if Admin permits.

I am not sure how you can call Windows 7 search powerful. I cannot find anything in Windows 7 search, nothing, NOTHING!!! Now: Any time I have installed anything from Microsoft called "indexing" it has resulted in a serious slow down of my computer. This goes back at least as far as early XP days. I am not aware of any "indexing options" in Windows 7. Is there truly some indexing procedure that will find a file name or a series of words in a file name or in a file that will transform something as worthless as Windows 7 search into a "powerful search" capacity? I would start a new thread or do whatever I would need to do to satisfy forum protocol to discuss what indexing options are and how to obtain them if it truly would transform Windows 7 search into something useful.

While I am certainly not trying to be smart aleck here, I cannot hide my doubts. I just don't believe Windows 7 search can find where it hides downloaded files that I forget to specify a path for - or even Office Word files that I forget to specify a path for. This is the biggest use I have for at least a mediocre search engine. I don't even have that with the current setup. As it is, Windows 7 search is ABSOLUTELY worthless.

Thank you so much for any productive advice you can give me.

Not sure why we are discussing Windows 7, Windows 7 Search, or Windows 7 Indexing in a Windows 8 Forum, but since this thread has went around the corner a couple times already.
Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

Personally have often found either Everything Everything Search Engine
and or
Agent Ransack Agent Ransack - Free File Searching Utility
more suitable for my personal needs, but I'm old, and set in my ways, and a bit of a luddite, so apply a grain of salt as needed.
Regards
Randy

I've never had any problems in Windows 7 with search or shortcut issues, Of course I never had problems with 2000 or XP either. I think they all worked fine for me. Although maybe I haven't used these OS's to do things that others do so anyway atleast MS has given us 5 or more Windows versions to choose from. I guess you can't beat that. The only Windows I had problems with was 98', it crashed so often and froze that I got very ticked off and switched back to XP. Those were the days before Win 7 and Win 8. Vista was never an option when I had my older thinkpad laptop so I was stuck with XP and it served me well, now I only use the newer systems because of the gaming support it has for newer games with Directx 10 and 11.

Is everyone ready for tonight?

Today is the 15th August 2012 and we, the interested (and not so interested), await for the golden hour:12pm PST when Microsoft's latest os Windows 8 becomes available to those with TechNet and MSDN accounts.

My browsers ready... Is yours?

:)

Is everyone ready for tonight?

"when Microsoft's latest os Windows 8 becomes available to those with TechNet and MSDN accounts."

:)

I am very disappointed with Microsoft's recent (July 16) reorganization of TechNet. Product Keys that we have in use on our computers have been disabled so we cannot even reinstall an OS that we currently have installed for MANY of the products. These same products are not even available for download any more (not even to be used with a purchased product key). Does anyone know if Windows 8 is going to be one of the restricted products that is not available to TechNet Standard subscribers or will it be available to all TechNet members?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Windows 8 for a week or so. Best OS I've used. I mainly use the desktop. No use for 'Metro UI'.

If you want Start button, install Classic Menu. Works a treat. Don't miss Aero transparency either. Just 'eye candy' anyway.

The file system is especially impressive. Really quick and accurate. I have yet to have one glitch, and my computer has been on constantly for a week or so.

Thumbs up Microsoft!!!!

Back