Windows 10 Windows 8 key for Windows 10?

LJC94512

Back in 2012, I spent some money (can't remember how much) to buy this Windows 8 DVD for installing Windows into my MacBook Pro. When Windows 8.1, I have no problem upgrading by using the Windows Store.

Now in 2015, Windows 10 is out, and I am about to replace my current MacBook Pro for a new MacBook Pro. I have reserved a Windows 10 upgrade but here is my question: Can I use the Windows 8 product key that came with my DVD to install Windows 10 in my new MacBook Pro (I have used Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 installation USB drive)? After 1 year when Windows 10 is not free anymore, can I continue to do this in the future? Note that on the DVD package it says ''Windows 8 Eng INTL for OEM software''

I have attached photos of the DVD package and the DVD itself for reference. Please help me with this. I rely on both OS X and Windows on my MacBook Pro for daily purposes. Thank you in advance.
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG

Because it is an OEM license it is not transferable to another machine. The licensing situation is questionable. But since you have a genuine copy of Windows 8, you could always install Windows 8 on your MacBook and run the upgrade tool to Windows 10.

But I've read that Windows 8 OEM (note that the DVD package I've got is not Windows 8.1; it is Windows 8) are allowed to transfer the software to a different machine. Here is the note:

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer."

Apparently this is reverted in WIndows 8.1 but I don't own a Windows 8.1 DVD. I use Windows 8.1 just by upgrading my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. So with that licensing agreement can I use this Windows 8 key for WIndows 10? Does Microsoft do some sort of product key conversion from Windows 8 to Windows 10?

The ome licence is designed for shops to install on new systems being sold and unless you are a shop/ tech that transfer becomes an iffie... bottom line is you payed for it (have proof) in good faith and can therefore use it under internation law.

I have reserved a Windows 10 upgrade but here is my question: Can I use the Windows 8 product key that came with my DVD to install Windows 10 in my new MacBook Pro

No my understanding of the current licence is that this won't work because reserving (10) locks the key to use on that machine only but I don't work for Micosoft so the best advise I can give you is call them up and ask.

The Windows 8 OEM license is transferrable, which is different from the Windows 7 version. But you cannot use that key to upgrade. You need an installed, activated version of 8.1 and upgrade that to Windows 10. When that is done, that configuration is marked as being Windows 10 legal and it may take being logged into a Microsoft account, but still some doubt on that requirement.

So you will probably need to move the Windows 8 license to the new system by calling Microsoft. But as you can see, there is always confusion when it comes to things Microsoft will only explain using Legalese.

The Windows 8 OEM license is transferrable, which is different from the Windows 7 version. But you cannot use that key to upgrade. You need an installed, activated version of 8.1 and upgrade that to Windows 10. When that is done, that configuration is marked as being Windows 10 legal and it may take being logged into a Microsoft account, but still some doubt on that requirement.

So you will probably need to move the Windows 8 license to the new system by calling Microsoft. But as you can see, there is always confusion when it comes to things Microsoft will only explain using Legalese.

So for testing purposes, I have upgraded my current MacBook Pro from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (and then click upgrade this PC now which is successful, and I was never asked to enter a new product key). The product ID somehow changed as well. When it was Windows 8.1, I remember the last 3 characters have OEM on it. However on Windows 10 now, it has changed to 3 different numbers (product ID format: *****-*****-*****-*****). It also states that Windows is activated.

Regarding your last sentence, does that mean I can call Microsoft and make the Windows 8 key on my DVD (as pictured in the first post) into a Windows 10 key, and then use media creation tool to create an Windows 10 installation USB which I can use this key to install Windows 10 on my new MacBook Pro? Sorry for being so confusing.

You can stop being concerned about a "Key". When you upgrade a licensed install of the appropriate OS, the activation information is kept online. You will not be given a License Key for Windows 10, unless you buy the media to install without a prior OS. And to be truthful, since I don't have any purchased Windows 10 media, I am not even sure about that....

So perhaps that leads back to my first question at the beginning: with my Windows 8 key (now being used in a Windows 10 machine), can I use this key to install Windows 10 on a new machine using media creation tool(given that I will wipe the partition my MacBook Pro used to install Windows)?

In the end I only use Windows 10 on one machine only at any given time. I want to make sure Windows is activated and it won't give me problems.

And that question takes us back to my first answer. We must have some type of misunderstanding. Perhaps someone else would have a better answer.

That "key" was tied to your cpu when you first activated it with your new PC back in 2012. When you did the upgrade to Windows 10 is was subsequently linked to your cpu as well. You cannot legally use that "key" to install on another system unless your cpu were to fail "wink, wink" and in which case you could give it an attempt to install using your windows 8 "key". If it gives you any problems call Microsoft and explain to them that your PC that you originally purchased it for had a hardware failure "wink, wink" and you now need to install it on using your new updated hardware "wink, wink" then when that is done proceed to install Windows 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back