Windows 8 Windows Basic Display Driver Problems

Garrett Ashby

I have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1. However, after doing this I have encountered problems with several of my previously installed computer games, and even a small error within Windows Movie Maker. I have read up on this subject, and after trying to find my drivers using DXDIAG this is what I found. (See attached screenshot).
Since my DXDIAG says that it only uses a Microsoft Basic Display Driver and does not give me a manufacturer's name, I am not sure what to do. I am operating on a Samsung Laptop by the way. If anyone has an answer to this or needs more information please let me know. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    33.6 KB · Views: 690
One, you can restart the machine and jump into the Bios to see if it tells you what type of video card it is or try typing msinfo32 into the Search/run box. What is the model of the laptop?

Using the Bios just gave me the same lack of information, but here is what msinfo32 gave me.
As for the model of the laptop, it is a Samsung Laptop, the system model number being 350V5C/350V5X/350V4C/350V4X/351V5C/351V5X/351V4C/351V4X/3540VC/3. Thank you for replying so quickly!

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    51.7 KB · Views: 691
I have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1. However, after doing this I have encountered problems with several of my previously installed computer games, and even a small error within Windows Movie Maker. I have read up on this subject, and after trying to find my drivers using DXDIAG this is what I found. (See attached screenshot).
Since my DXDIAG says that it only uses a Microsoft Basic Display Driver and does not give me a manufacturer's name, I am not sure what to do. I am operating on a Samsung Laptop by the way. If anyone has an answer to this or needs more information please let me know. Thank you!

Hi Garrett welcome to the forum,

with laptops the system manufacturer supplies the drivers so you need to access Samsung's web support age for your machine. If you post which model you have (I know you posted the model number above but that includes many machines, we really need your individual model. The manual should tell you.)
Once you have the correct page you'll need to ensure that all drivers and Bios are updated.

The model number of the computer is (I beleive) NP350E7C-A01US
That was the number on the bottom label of the laptop. When I typed this into the search bar of Samsung's website it pulled up the page about my laptop. I looked at the support tab but the only drivers they had available for download were for the OS of Windows XP. If this info is incorrect or you know where to go to download more recent drivers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for responding!

I don't think I understand the question Daymon. My model number is NP350E7C-A01US and it is produced by Samsung. If you mean who made the integrated graphics then they are produced by Intel and are HD 4000 graphics. I have tried 3 different downloads from Intel's sight but none of them work. If have downloaded Win64_15335, Win64_15338 and Win32_15335. I only downloaded Win32 because despite the fact I have a 64 bit operating system, it says that the graphics drivers are 32 bit (see above picture post). Sigh. Thanks everyone!

Also, I just barely updated my BIOS from the website that Kemical posted earlier. I did need a update, but it didn't seem to help.

And yet another also, I just looked on Intel's website and it said my graphics drivers were current. So my BIOS is current, and so apparently are my graphics and audio drivers. :p

Hi Garrett,
you still have issues? If it's a particular game or app can you post the name of it here?

Sure. It's just Minecraft. Haha. It says that there is an OpenGL error. Let me know if you need the full crash log.

Try right--clicking the Minecraft icon, choose properties and then compatibility. Change it to something like windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom