Windows 7 Windows Diagnostics; Troubleshooting never hits anything

Commander_Cool

Hi, has anyone here had Windows Troubleshooting (which offers its dubious help whenever a program hangs or, as in the case that prompted the writing of this, IE can't connect to the web (though Firefox had no problem)) ever solve any kind of problem?

If so, I would like to hear about it because I haven't. And, by the way, perhaps somebody could tell me how to turn this (imho) useless 'feature' off.
Thank you.

Hi, has anyone here had Windows Troubleshooting (which offers its dubious help whenever a program hangs or, as in the case that prompted the writing of this, IE can't connect to the web (though Firefox had no problem)) ever solve any kind of problem?

If so, I would like to hear about it because I haven't. And, by the way, perhaps somebody could tell me how to turn this (imho) useless 'feature' off.
Thank you.

Turning it off might be possible with RUN<gpedit.msc> User Configuration/Administrative Template/All Settings. There are a gazillion setting possibilities in there.

OK, thanks. I'll go try it at once.
-------------------
Hmm...it seems not. A search of the help file for gpedit.msc for the terms "diagnostics" and "troubleshooting" yielded nothing.
Also, browsing through the GUI I found nothing.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. I'll go try it at once.
-------------------
Hmm...it seems not. A search of the help file for gpedit.msc for the terms "diagnostics" and "troubleshooting" yielded nothing.
Also, browsing through the GUI I found nothing.

Let me be clearer.... Hold down the CTRL Key and press R. In the box that opens type gpedit.msc and follow my instructions.

Let me be clearer.... Hold down the CTRL Key and press R. In the box that opens type gpedit.msc and follow my instructions.
No need to be clearer, really. I've been using Windows since clunky old 2.0 so I know my way around. Please see the attached .jpg for clarification!

Attachments

• gpedit.jpg
    gpedit.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 275
Back