Windows Vista windows explorer crashing, in panic!

FlowerPower

windows explorer and rundll32 has stopped working

hi everyone. i have a horrible problem with my laptop (acer aspire 6290G). when i got it, it worked great but now, after several months, just yesterday i got the error, showing that windows explorer and rundll32 has stopped working.
i checked out this thread-http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/5912-windows-explorer-keeps-crashing-2.html

but everything i tried didnt help :(

what happens is that first i get an error showing rundll32 has stopped working and like 2 seconds after that, it shows that windows explorer has stopped working. when i just close the windows, they pop up again and again and so on.
im really in panic here! i dont have a CD to boot from and try fix it then :(
i have mu whole life/work on that laptop, i can afford to loose any files/information. :(

please, someone help me :(

P.S. i dont know too much about computers, so try to explain as easy as possible

It might be a Virus or Trojan. Have you run any security scans? Have you downloaded any new software or video ?( I like to look at security history logs and the event viewer for additional information) |MG| Trojan Remover 6.7.8 Build 2575 This can be run without much assistance from you-- run your own scans first, wait and see what the others have to say...

Something to try and solve your problem.
Do you have Nero installed?? If so try uninstalling it and see what happens.
If you want to use Nero, you have to go to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\

Then rename the following items (if they exist) from .ax to .old, as this will prevent them from being accessed:
  • NeVideo.ax
  • NeroVideoProc.ax
  • lmpgspl.ax
This will prevent some of the Nero codecs from rendering video thumbnails, which is most likely the cause of the problem.

If you do not have Nero installed, try control panel, then folder options, then view and tick "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

You might take a look at the thread from 12-24-08 labeled "RUN DLL" by Kenn, under hardware, it has some useful information.

Back