Windows 7 Windows Explorer stopped working

charlesh

Windows 7 Pro. Go Flex Drive attached, it is F:
Going into F: with Explorer. Clicking on a folder, OK. But when I right click on this folder trying to create New > Folder, message: "Windows Explorer stopped working" and next: "Windows Explorer restarting".
How can I create a subfolder (New) in F: (Go Flex Drive) ?

new folder.PNG

click on start orb, click computer, select your F drive then look across the top for a folder icon at the top left.

Sorry bassfisher, than what? Clicking on the F drive, the list of folders appear in the drive, but right clicking any folder provides a drop down window without "New" so I can not create a subfolder.

It's probably a registry problem.

You could do a registry check / clean with CCleaner, http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner, preferred in this Forum, or the program I have used, Free Window Registry Repair, http://free-window-registry-repair.en.softonic.com/

Many don't like these programs, although I have found them quite reliable. But you can also do it manually: DO CREATE A RESTORATION POINT, Control Panel/System/System Protection... then down on the window, "create...".

1. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\

3. Please check if the value for (Default) is: {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

Messing with the registry is risky. If you're not familiar with it, I would heartily recommend using either
of the two programs I mentioned.

Best of all. :)

Last edited:
Thank you Titanic. I checked the registry subkey as you recommended. It is correct.
In Windows Explorer when I get to the list of files-folders in the F: drive right clicking on any folder does not produce a "New" in the new drop down window. But if I right click on an empty field, the drop down window gives "New" and it seems that I can produce new folders in F: but not folders of existing folders (subfolders). Is there a limitation of only one layer of folders in F: (Goflex aux. drive)?

Thank you Titanic. I checked the registry subkey as you recommended. It is correct.
In Windows Explorer when I get to the list of files-folders in the F: drive right clicking on any folder does not produce a "New" in the new drop down window. But if I right click on an empty field, the drop down window gives "New" and it seems that I can produce new folders in F: but not folders of existing folders (subfolders). Is there a limitation of only one layer of folders in F: (Goflex aux. drive)?

All right, after vacation I have to restart this issue:
Now it does not matter which drive (C :/ or F:) same problem, many time Explorer stops and restarts when I right click on a folder. Followed all advises in this thread except messing with registry, but I created a restoration point, checked the advised registry entry HKEY.... This just does not make any sense. Thanks again.

Can post some screen shots please as to what you are actually trying to accomplish?

Back