Windows 7 Windows Explorere crashes when I right-click on items in the Navigation Pane.

Pasha Patriki

If I right-click on some items in the navigation pane, the explorer crahses and gives me "Explorer stopped working" message pop-up.

Here are the contents of the error:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: explorer.exe

Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567

Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4

Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17678

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e5c71cc

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000050520

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information 1: d257

Additional Information 2: d257e70c0bb57693fe4a99b32203ac45

Additional Information 3: 2032

Additional Information 4: 2032518778f28c9a3b2135da216b66a9

*********************************************************************************************
I blieve it may be linked to the new video card that I installed. After I changed the stock video graphics card that came with this HP desktop station (Win 7 64-bit), this started happening. I changed the video card to yet another one - the problem still there....
Anyone has any insight on this?

Cheers,

Pasha

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Can you supply any information regarding the contents of the folders or the individual files that cause this to happen.
It has often been noted that for some reason explorer can crash when attempting to render a preview of certain types of video file formats (.mkv, is one that I know of).
Click the start orb and then comptuter
from the menu bar (if not present strike the alt key on your keyboard to evoke the menu bar) choose tools->folder options->view tab
at the top of the Advanced settings: check the box that says "Always show icons, never thumbnails
Click OK
See if the problem persists.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy,
thanks for the support. I followed your instructions but no luck....
To answer your question.
This usually happens in the "Computer" window, ONLY when I right-click on the mounted drives in the "Computer" tree. The drives can be external or internal, or even a Flash-drive or CF card inserted into computer... The contents of these drives doesn't seem to matter, as they can be empty drives... Any other items - OS drive, "Computer", "Documents" - all right-click fine, no crash...

Capture.JPGHere;s a quick screenshot ... :)

The same problem was experienced by me a few months ago. At that time Windows Memory Diagnostic (WMD) worked for me. You may try the same and if it doesn't work for you, visit this website and follow troubleshooting solutions.

1. Click Start on your Taskbar.
2. Type "Windows Memory Diagnostic".
3. Press ENTER or locate it from the Search Results.
4. Click "Restart now and check for problems" button.
5. Your PC will restart and conduct several memory tests.

Back