Windows 7 Windows Media Player opens at start-up

Chiborino

Since I've bought this computer, WMP keeps opening when I start it up. It's annoying because it slows down the start-up process and I don't even use WMP outside of watching the occasional video. I looked all through the settings and preferences and can't find an option to turn this off, so how do I go about disabling it without uninstalling it?

Start Menu, search box, type msconfig and hit enter.

As Cybercore mentions, you may have a video or something else that is actually opening the program, so check for that and check in the Startup folder on the start menu.

I suppose I should ask, does media player do anything when it starts? Are you connected to any network media systems or even another homegroup?

Okay, I went into MSConfig and it mentions nothing about windows media player as a start-up item. The only Audio/Video related things listed are:
Quicktime
iTunes
Realtek HD Audio Manager

Also, when WMP opens, it tries updating my library with music (which I haven't bothered putting on here yet.)

Where did you buy this computer? Is it new, or did someone else have it first?

I see nothing in WMP to start it automatically, and mine does not start at boot. So you must have something opening it to complete a task, or you system is corrupted.

I do not know if there is a task you can schedule in Task Scheduler, but you might check that.

There is an option to look for updates on a daily basis, maybe it is doing that.

Nothing in the Startup folder?

If it is trying to update your library, let it finish or put something in one for it to find.

Bought it brand new from Best Buy a ew weeks ago. It first started doing this after the first time I used WMP. I'll give all those ideas a shot and see if it works.

Start-up folder?

The Startup folder in on the Start Menu-all programs section. This is where you put programs you want to start at boot.

As far as I know, if order for something to start at boot, it has to be set that way and should be on the msconfig list, or a file the program is associated with is being opened and starts another utility along with it, or it needs to be in the startup folder.

There are probably several other ways I am not aware of, but those are the main ones.

You can uncheck Realtek, iTunes, and Quicktime, to see if one of them is somehow involved in it. The chance is slim though.

If you have started wmp setup (like first time using it) and haven't completed the setup, then perhaps it automatically resumes on startup ?

If possible, attach a screenshot of your msconfig (startup tab).

Thanks for all the replies and help, but I just realized why it's opening.

I discovered soon after purchasing it that there's a touch-sensitive component near the power button. So, to turn it on, I swipe my finger across the top of the keyboard. Turns out, by doing this I wind up hitting the button that brings up Windows media Player. I think I was the one making WMP start up all along.

Thanks again, and sorry, guys. :/

Thanks for all the replies and help, but I just realized why it's opening.

I discovered soon after purchasing it that there's a touch-sensitive component near the power button. So, to turn it on, I swipe my finger across the top of the keyboard. Turns out, by doing this I wind up hitting the button that brings up Windows media Player. I think I was the one making WMP start up all along.

Thanks again, and sorry, guys. :/

Thank you for updating this thread. :)

Back