Windows 10 Windows Not Popping Up When Clicking Icon - Help ??

chris301up

Ever since another annoying update on my Windows 10 operating system windows do not pop up properly unless I close the ones I'm viewing first. They are showing on the Taskbar but, when clicking them, nothing. I have tried to find the answer on the internet, but nothing. Any ideas?

I think you're going to need to provide screenshots as it's not clear what you're referring too.

Morning. I'm sorry but I don't know how to do 'screenshots', whatever they are? Anyway, let me try to explain a little more.

All was working well until another stealth Microsoft update and now this issue. Should I click Start then the program icon appears on the taskbar but, should I click the icon on the taskbar, nothing on screen. Should I 'hover' over the icon on the taskbar the program appears above it, but clicking on it does nothing.

The only way I can get the program to open is to close all other windows first. Completely defeating the original idea of 'Windows' in the first place, Isn't it?

A screenshot as in take a picture with the print screen key and open paint and paste. Save then upload the picture here. Windows always pops up a notification when there are updates so I wouldn't exactly call them 'stealth'

All you should need to do to make a window have focus is click on it in the taskbar or launch it. Although some windows can have a 'all ways on top setting'. This behavior is specified when the software is developed although most do not have this set.

Okay. My Son has just tried to show me how to do that, but the biggest problem is that I have to close one program for another to pop up. So, all it is going to do is show the screens that are left open, not the ones that I have had to close. Hope this makes some sense?

You're also correct in saying that Windows normally notifies of an update. In this instance, I had just restored my machine to 'factory settings' again, the second time in 3 - 4 weeks, and then the only notification I got was when I rebooted and it said "do not turn off Windows is configuring updates". No advance notification whatsoever and therefore my terminology of 'stealth mode'.

Hi again

Just an update. We have not been able to us the 'print screen' as Paint etc.. simply will not pop up when clicking it. All we get is a blank page showing in the saved document. I'm so fed up with Microsoft / Windows now.

Last edited:
I think I have 'stumbled' upon the problem, but still don't know why? I have had cause to re-install Microsoft Office and, since then, the initial problem I posted no longer seems to exist. I have no idea why this happened, or indeed, corrected itself, and can only assume it's something to do with the recent updates, which is when this issue began.

Just for your information. When I do a 'factory restore' I always uninstall Microsoft Office that's pre-installed with the machine and then install my preferred version - Office 2007. In my case the pre-installed version is Office 2010 and I use the Office Uninstaller / Clean Tool to uninstall so there shouldn't be any remnants left over. I have done this for many, many years and until now never had any issues.

Anyway, if someone has a similar problem it may just be worth bearing this in mind?

Back
Top Bottom