Windows 7 Windows Security Problem

SC77

I have been trying to download some programs recently and they all come up with this same error. I've downloaded multiple things to my desktop and when i try to run them, a message pops up saying:
These files can't be opened
Your internet security settings have prevented one or more files from being opened.

I have tried changing the internet security settings to their lowest positions and putting the url from the sites I downloaded it from in the trusted sites list but neither have worked.
Thanks, SC77

That's gotta be malware trying to trick you into disabling or uninstalling your firewall.

Recommend wiping the drive clean with a low level format utility then reinstall Windows.

TorrentG makes some good points. But you say you have already downloaded these files and they are on your desktop?

Are these the types of things that might have some type of digital rights management involved?

It might help if you identify the type of file :)

Do you have a Gateway-router that is wired or wireless? If so turn the Gateway's firewall up all the way or even just to the Medium setting and then turn all the Firewalls on your PC off. See if that works

Also do a Virus scan with up-to-date virus Program, Then use both MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D update and, update them and do scans delete any thing that they find.

once that is done restart the computer and get into "Safe mode with Networking" By pressing F8 After the BIOS Screen and selecting "Safe mode with Networking" a List of white writing will come up, wait, once booted, Don't worry if the computer will looks funny, that is how Safe mode looks, as this uses the least amount of drivers possible.

Go on the internet and download Cobo fix from here: ComboFix | freeware, Click the dowload link on the page and save it to the Desk top.
Then Download HiJackthis Frome here: HijackThis - Trend Micro USA, Click the download link, the one thats not the beta one and save this to the desktop too.

Do Combofix first while in "safe mode with Networking"
1). Open Combofix
2). Update it if it want's to
3). it will restart, Sometimes it may fail to restart by it's self so if it doesn't for more tha 25Secs manually restart it
4). from here follow the promts

once that is done restart the computer to normal mode

then Run Hijackthis,

1). Install Hijackthis
2). Run it and follow the prompts
3). once completed, a text file will be displayed.
4). I want this Text file so save it to the desktop and upload it to here using the paper clip in advanced Reply.

I will then analyze the file.

This may take time so be patient.

Last edited:
Do you have a Gateway-router that is wired or wireless? If so turn the Gateway's firewall up all the way or even just to the Medium setting and then turn all the Firewalls on your PC off. See if that works

That's exactly what the malware wants, if my theory is correct. It seems the most plausible reason to me, from where I am. And now you'd be helping it along with this advice. So I'd have to say that this is incorrect advice to give, based on the presented facts.

Last edited:
I ran my antivirus as well as MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D in safe mode and now my computer works like a charm with no errors. Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
Thanks again, SC77

Dude where is my Text file that I wanted? You could still have nasties in your registry, I can analyse that file and see what is in the registry, Not just using Spybot S&D and malwarebytes are gonna remove everything. since as you never followed My advice with Combofix and Hijackthis, you proberly don't care......

......Seems some people just like doing half a job, rushing things and doing them on the cheap.

There's no way at all anyone can say the machine is free from malware unless the disk is wiped with a low level format tool, hence my previous advice, given 10 times as strongly as initially done.

Not even Bill Gates himself could give any guarantee unless my advice is followed.

There's no way at all anyone can say the machine is free from malware unless the disk is wiped with a low level format tool, hence my previous advice, given 10 times as strongly as initially done.

Not even Bill Gates himself could give any guarantee unless my advice is followed.

never know, Bill Gates made windows, so he will know where all the holes and gaps are, and he could look in certain places that we don't even know off. he would know exaclly where this stuff wanna hide.

and as years go on we learn more about this kinda stuff too, IMAO it is 10x worse than back in 1998

Actually, I do know. It is trivial to make malware that isn't even active, can not be detected by anyone or anything and self-activate at any random or pre-determined point of its choosing.

Moral of the story....clean wipe is needed to ensure integrity.

Dude where is my Text file that I wanted? You could still have nasties in your registry, I can analyse that file and see what is in the registry, Not just using Spybot S&D and malwarebytes are gonna remove everything. since as you never followed My advice with Combofix and Hijackthis, you proberly don't care......

......Seems some people just like doing half a job, rushing things and doing them on the cheap.
The attachment thing wouldn't recognize my hijackthis log so I sent you it in a pm. Also, I couldn't find a download for Combofix, the site you gave me just kept linking me to new pages instead of downloading anything.
Still recommend to follow my advice about the low level format and new Windows install. Otherwise, your security, personal information/privacy and reliability are all at high risk. Actually, now that we are certain that malware has caused the issue, my advice is given ten times as strongly than before. Or you can continue simply avoiding my advice as before and enjoy a compromised machine.
I would but I don't know how to do that. Could you explain how to do that a little better.

Don't know what he means by low level format, But TorrentG has been banned for certain reasons, but I dunno the story, He was a moderator though so Dunno, But to reinstall windows you will need 4 Things:

and they are:

1). The original Windows XP, Vista or 7 depending on what version of window you have, and that version (eg. XP, Vista, 7) of the disc has to match the version of that version (eg. Home, Home Basic, Home premium, Buisness, Professional, Enterprise or utimate) of windows
2). The correct Product key either on the CD Folder, on the side of the computer or under the laptop if you have a lappy
3). Before you go any further back up all your music, Photos, Movies, Documents and Game files to an external hard disk, DVD, CD, Flash Drive, Blu-ray disk, Floppy (not the best as you would use 1000's) or even another PC's hard disk (if you have the right hook ups).
4). basic knowlage of to install a OS.

insert the Install disk then reboot the computer, as soon as it turns on press the key to get into the Bios, Find where the boot menu is and make the CD drive to boot first, then exit with saving changes, let it restart and wait when it loads press any key when told to, select the laguage and curruncy, delete the drive or partition/s then do the Format (Quick), Not the long has this could take hours if not days, Select the drive or partion to install it on. After here let it install, it may restart multiple times through the install but don't press anything even if it tells you to press any key, don't or you'll have to start over again. enter the product key, once done set the time, and create a user acount.

Take the disk out, restart, once done do the updates for the OS and install the Anti-Virus then update it, once all this is done, install your progams and driver perfurably the ones from the Maufactures websites that are up-to-date and put your files back.

I don't recommend this unless if you have a servear Problems, as this is time consuming, and waste of resources.

Last edited:
If you google the words
low level format
you will see several free utilities to help you perform this task. Basically it's a software program in the form of an iso which you can burn to a cd and then use it to boot your machine from an external source (not it's hard disk drive) and completely wipe (erase/format) your drive while writing random 1s and 0s from end to end, thereby eliminating any potential hiding places for remnants of malware or virii
One of my favorites is KillDisk some people like DBAN either will probably do the job for you but you need to understand that all, all, all your data will be gone forever without any possibility of recovery, but it will certainly get rid of any left over bad stuff as well.

I don't think that I'm going to do the low level format. I don't have any way of backing up my data and don't want to lose all of it with the computer working fine right now. If I start to have problems again, i might think about it but for now, It doesn't seem worth it.

Don't blame you, I wouldn't either, if my computer seemed to be running fine. You should however consider acquiring an external hard drive and making copies (backup or image) your machine or at least your critical data (pictures, music, email, docs, etc.) to that device.

I'm going to look into that. I have another question, if i were to put my files in my network and my computer died, would I be able to go on another computer on the network and receive those files?

The short answer is yes. Of course there are some caveats, the other computer would need to have the necessary software to support opening and editing such files. That is to say that for instance if you created and saved a document in Word 2007/2010 .docx format, then copied or sync'd that to a network location, you would need MS Word 2007 or 2010 on the other computer to open and edit that document. Likewise if you saved your Outlook (email) .pst file to a network location, you would need Outlook on the second computer inorder to open that file format to view the saved emails.
There are a multitude of programs available that support this type of sync'ing of folders across the network, but keep in mind, if you are going to rely on such programs to do this for you automatically, then network reliability and availability needs to be considered, you can't have your computers going into some type of power saving state and expect these programs to work reliably. But generally you can choose to run them manually (on demand mode) when you know both network nodes are up and available.
Take a look at SyncToy from Microsoft it's only one of several such products that may help you do this.

Advice: When you go out to do External hard disk shopping,you'll have a lot of coices in sizes, get one that is 500GB or greater. and yet you have a few choices in brands, Western digital, Seagate, Hitachi, samsung and Vetrium are the best.

The you have to choose a connection method:

USB 2.0: Is the best and most EHDD's have it, all computers have USB 2.0 ports since 2001.
USB 3.0: Is the newest USB Standard, it is maturing still, No old computers support it, some New computers have USB 3.0 Since 2010. Gives you 5x power and 10x Speed
Fireware: Has been around since the late 90's similar in speed to USB 2.0, Some computers support it and have the ports, but most don't
ESATA: Has been around since 2005, again, some computers support it and have the ports, runs as fast as Normal SATA 2.

Last edited:
How important is the RPM in an external drive, I know it's important in an internal drive but is it just as important for an external one?

I have been considering these two choices, what do you think.

Newegg.com - Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1TB USB 3.0 Black External Hard Drive STAC1000101
Newegg.com - Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500GB USB 3.0 Black External Hard Drive STAA500105

I figured that i would go with usb 3 because it's backwards compatible and i'll probably have a computer in the future that uses it.

Back