Windows 7 Windows Suddenly Stalls/Freezes

Dean Galvin

I Really don't know what this would be classified under so I am posting this under General Support, It can be moved to the necessary area if need be.
The Problem:
It started while playing Starcraft II(Amazing by the way), and has continued on since then today. MY computer will suddenly stall or freeze mid game, I thought it was a game only problem until It happened after running scans with my anti virus/malware programs. My only guess was that it was the video card, untill it happened during the scan. It will all of a sudden become frozen, no visible movement at all. Weird thing is, the sound doesn't skip and freeze, it goes on as normal, and until I try to press any key on my keyboard, my G-15 will still update the performance monitor.
Specs:
Tiny-Win7 32bit
4gig ram G-Skill
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 512 Mb
ECS Black series motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 3 GHz Processor

Please Help, Thank you!

Hi and welcome.

It would be worth checking for the minidump folder to see if any crashes have ever happened. If so, it would probably be very helpful to solving the issue.

C:\Windows\Minidump

If that folder exists, copy/paste the files in there to any other folder. Then zip them. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

If the folder doesn't exist, then type msinfo32 in start menu and hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Zip the saved file. Attach the zip to a post.

Quite a few suggestions.

Type regedit in the start menu then hit enter. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Delete:

amd_dc_opt
QuickTime Task
WinampAgent
Everything

Then navigate to HKU\S-1-5-21-2983968071-3825006083-55470352-500\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
to delete:

Google Update
SpybotSD TeaTimer

Close Regedit when done. Reboot.
Then download, install, run then update the definitions for a free program called Malwarebytes. Let it scan the system and remove anything it finds. Should be well off after these things. Please keep us informed how it's going and good luck.

Rebooting now, and downloading in a second. I had downloaded it off my site this morning, I don't think it fully downloaded though ill let you know th results in a second.

Yeah cool.

This startup entry and the associated folder/file is very likely malware -

"c:\program files\everything\everything.exe" -startup Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Malwarebytes will take care of it, if it is. You can start with a quick scan but then later on, I'd do a full system scan.

That was my first thought, but I did a little research into it, and apparently "everything.exe" is just a better windows search tool that is a little faster than the one windows comes with. Even at that though, it is a pretty general name, could be anything really.

Back