Windows 7 Windows Updates has murdered my OS...

rfcgreg

Hey guys the fact ive had to sign up and post here is disturbing enough, usually i can find the solution myself or a quick google reveals the fix but sadly no...

I'll apologise now for any swearing that may be included.. extremely stressed atm.

Before anyone jumps in and says just use the install disc to repair, I dont have it, I'd download and burn a new one (yes yes piracy blah blah) and repair from that but in safemode u cant do anything.

So ive had win7 since i was doin the beta testing, got it soon as i could and until now ive had no real big issues windows updates wouldnt run for a while but i fixed that, now i let WU install some new updates on the system includin the worst thing ever that windows live essentials pack not gonna get into that its crap, and as usual WU wants u to reboot so it can install and configure the rest before it logs into windows so i let it do that eventually, so when it came to rebooting it done the usual "installing/configuring updates dont turn off pc" so i let it do that then the bastard froze solid left it for ages and it didnt move a bit so theres only the 1 thing u can do in the end which is turn it off.... turned it back on and it done the normal update failed bla bla and reverted the changes which apparantly worked fine but then it wouldnt boot up, it starts loading gets to the black screen where the windows logo appears then freezes.

Ive done system restore, the repair option without disc everythin i can but it will not boot windows up unless its safemode.

anyone got any ideas? i cannot lose my data i need to get windows up again. this is not the first OS that WU has totally ****ed either for me...

Extra info:

this is not a hardware issue.
the only recent changes is whatever **** WU was trying to install which is the usual rubbish, they are the Dec'10-Jan'11 updates as far as im aware

ill include some log details aswell.

Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          02/01/2011 10:11:30 PM
Event ID:      7026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Greg-PC
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
aswTdi
Null
spldr
sptd
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-02T22:11:30.931920600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>276683</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="512" ThreadID="516" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Greg-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">
aswTdi
Null
spldr
sptd</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

---

Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          02/01/2011 10:30:49 PM
Event ID:      7001
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Greg-PC
Description:
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: 
The dependency service or group failed to start.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-02T22:30:49.365856000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>276520</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="512" ThreadID="1776" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Greg-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Computer Browser</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">Server</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">%%1068</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Any solutions please do tell me

Thanks for your reading
Greg

If you have important data on there then I'd first get it secured - copy to an external drive by booting to a linux cd or by removing the drive and connecting to another pc. If you can't get a restart from any system restore in safe mode you're probably find the quickest easiest solution will be a full reinstall. For future reference all these sorts of problems plus bad app installs, malware etc are easily recovered if you've maintained a regular series of system images using something like Acronis True Image - well worth the small cost and the regular effort of making an image as soon as a situation like this arises.

I already knew that tbh I dont have a backup aside from restore, never really get a problem as my computer is very secure, plenty of active scanners and background scanners to keep me safe, the problem is what windows updates has done to it, i want to know how to repair that because its far to much to reinstall there is alot of stuff that cannot be put back endless amounts of settings and configs, i need windows back full stop there must be a way to fix this

i want to know how to repair that because its far to much to reinstall
Always the problem and even though your system is secure and well protected against malware and unauthorised access there are so many other potential problems which no amount of firewalling and AV can protect against. These include things like files and folder corruption, bad installs, disk sector failures and others which can only be guarded against by maintenance of a secure backup regime. The hard drives on my desktop, laptop and netbook are all mutually secured on each other as are images of each system drive, all of which hold the most recent three disk images. The level of backup must reflect both the time and cost invested in the disk contents and the effort which would be needed to recover or replace it. I wish you luck in identifying and correcting the cause of the problem but so often the scenario you describe has ultimately led to a need to reinstall after fruitless hours of head srcatching and banging!

I'm sure you've done or tried the start up repair, but I've seen a lot of recommendations to run it at least three times.
I'm clutching straws here, but no doubt so are you.

I'm sure you've done or tried the start up repair, but I've seen a lot of recommendations to run it at least three times.
I'm clutching straws here, but no doubt so are you.

Tried it, that does "work" or so it thinks but it doesnt actually fix anything, I know about backup strategies, I used to use an external HD for that till it broke then i said to myself that i never really get that much of an issue so wasnt gonna spend x amount on gettin a new strategy in place. I can still recover my data its just I do not want to have to reinstall everything else and redo my settings, I also have alot more than firewall and AV running on my system, installs are validated and corrected if faulty, the disks are constantly monitored and dont have bad sectors, if they do i wipe or replace them, and files and folders are only corrupted on here if its some malicious software/code but that doesnt even get through.

I appreciate that you guys are trying to give advice but the question, or even the answer I am looking for is, how do i fix what windows updates has messed up?
its nothing to do with my backup strategy (or lack of one atm) installs or corrupt files etc, my system was running perfectly fast, actually a lot better than it has been in the past, even running at a cool 17'c at the time i updated, the only thing that went wrong was installing windows updates and the updater itself crashed while it said to no turn off ur pc and thats wot i wanna fix...

thanks but i dont have a W7 install disc, if i did problem would have been fixed tbh... ive tried all the repair and restore options that comes with W7, i would contact MS directly but they treat u like a fool and then bundle u in **** explaining how it could never have been there fault

Back