Windows 7 Windows updates NOT Compaq laptop

Fenway16

Honorable Member
I have an older laptop that I try to keep secure with windows updates. Especially In the wake of all these ransom ware attacks. When new updates are issued on my desktop, I check the laptop to see if it will be getting same. Never happens. When I go to my security menu and ask for windows updates, I'm told on that menu no important updates are available. I went to MS answer desk and got help to download the last protection in May - think that was for wannacry. I have tried, as I said, to get updates and they just don't go to that laptop. I am now apprehensive about booting the machine up if that petya thing is still floating around. Any thoughts? Thanks.

might be helpful to the others if you could state which version of windows you are having trouble with … which is the latest update successfully installed … and the model# of your compaq-laptop.

Thanks for response. As stated in subject line, Windows 7. I don't have the laptop open so cannot tell you which was the latest update # - but as I said I believe it was for the wanna cry mess - the laptop model is Compaq C62 423NR - purchased in 2011. I have always had difficulty getting updates for that laptop - do you know if the petya beast is still doing its thing to people's machines? My desktop is protected as I have premium malwarebytes installed but the laptop just has the free version. Thanks again for any thoughts.

fenway … thanks for your patience … i researched quite a bit to provide current updates.

also, you right about win-7 being displayed within the post … i shoulda' seen the icon when i opened it … so i wish to apologize for overlooking that.

now … while malwarebytes (free edition) is quite robust, it does lack real-time protection. personally, the free version is what i use … and, working alongside anti-virus software (i.e. windows-defender) … forms adequate barrier. however … ransomware is a bit different … and needs special consideration. ransomfree is a free program … cybereason markets the software.

as for petya (Petya.2017 or ExPetr) … the industry actually considers the exploit to be malware … malware that masquerades as ransomware.

what i am understanding in kreb's blog, fenway … the weakness behind wannacry is same weakness behind petya. in other words … you've applied ms' patch against wannacry … and that patch should also safeguard you against petya. however … i may simply be misunderstanding certain facts. moreover … brian-kreb commenced his subject on petya with the following statement: "The malware is spreading using a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows that the software giant patched in March 2017 — the same bug that was exploited by the recent and prolific WannaCry ransomware strain."

foxquardsolutions offers additional insight which you should read up on … it is in regard to steps for circumventing the exploit's footprint. have listed the link below.

back to malwarebytes software, fenway … according to an excerpt on their website … the free version does not contain the switch to guard against that particular threat … however, in their words, "Our real-time protection would have stopped the ransomware in its track" (based upon the premium version's 'real-time' protection).

lastly, i point to one additional article … which seems to substantiate the reinforcement behind ms' eternalblue patch (wannacry) … refer to the link below (wired.com).

if you wish to run malwarebytes-premium in conjunction witth windows-defender … one of the latest releases allows for that … link to their article listed below.

i mentioned ransomfree earlier … it stops both wannacry and petya … link listed below.

so, fenway … you might consider running ransomfree in the background … malwarebytes alongside windows-defender (or other av) … or customize your own sentry.

ref:

edit:
with regard to your win-7 not updating, fenway … someone else might better handle your question. i can share two links which may be of interest to you:
feel free to follow up with us … as we are here to assist.

Last edited:
Wow.. I am so impressed and happy with all of your research and solutions. You are the best!! I will definitely read the articles you mention. You also mention the freeware -- ransomfree -- I will also check that out. I am hoping it does not have a conflict with MWB or Avira (my AV program). I feel fortunate to have a lifetime license for MWB premium on my desktop. I purchased it about 6 years ago ($20) and am very glad I did so as it is now $49 bucks...just a bit steep for fixed income person.

As a side note, when I went to MS Answer Desk a couple of years ago, I told them that I could not get the windows security updates even when I said "check for updates"... they in essence told me that I would get them as they were released. That's fine, however, my desktop would get them and my laptop never did in any kind of similar time frame. Very frustrating.

Due to my frustration with windows issues, I purchased an Acer Chromebook -- no windows stuff and it's very quick - supposedly not subject to a lot of security issues as well. At least that's what they say and I have not had any problems in the last 3-4 months since purchase. The only problem with NO windows stuff, is that I cannot download books from my library which uses Overdrive software (windows based I assume) to do d.l.'s. I listen to tons of audio books so that is a real downside. Ya can't win. Thanks so much again. Pat

I will read all of the relevant articles you have provided and THANK YOU once again. I can now boot my laptop and download the ransmfree software and feel downright better about it!!

Back
Top Bottom