Windows 8 Windows Updates

I don't know if this helps or not I uninstalled the mail app not just unpinned it. I don't like the auto logon and unneeded processes running. The only things I have left pinned on Metro is Desktop, Explorer and Control Panel. I've been on now for about 40 min and no Schannel fault. Could it be the mail app accessing web thru IE? I don't use IE much unless I need to. I think Windows Update uses IE to connect. I'll try to keep an eye on event viewer and see shows up there until supper time.
Joe

My Metro apps just open in a full window and close again. They are still available on the side, but will not open. I have been doing a little playing, so I may have messed up some system files. I remember seeing the Windbg program want to install .Net 4.5, but not sure it is related.

Other ones had quit earlier, like solitaire. I was thinking they are time limited and will shutdown after so much use. The Weather one was working, but now, it has shut down also.

But it looks like they have changed some of the printer info locations. You can see them in the Device Manager. There are Print queues and Printers entries, an a WSD Print Provider that my Epson All-in-one uses. But mine does show up in Devices and Printers, but it is not shutdown, just sleeps so the wireless is always active.

I am getting a little frustrated trying to get an OS to work when I do not know for sure it even should work a certain way. Even such a thing as signing in with a Microsoft ID or a Local ID may have implications I do not understand.

I am also getting Microsoft licensing error messages. I think I am in line for another clean install... :distress:

And Joe, I suppose it could be some combinations of apps, but I never even tried to use it on a new install and the errors were there. Something to try, I suppose.

I don't know if this helps or not I uninstalled the mail app not just unpinned it. I don't like the auto logon and unneeded processes running. The only things I have left pinned on Metro is Desktop, Explorer and Control Panel. I've been on now for about 40 min and no Schannel fault. Could it be the mail app accessing web thru IE? I don't use IE much unless I need to. I think Windows Update uses IE to connect. I'll try to keep an eye on event viewer and see shows up there until supper time.
Joe

At this point Joe, I would like to say Who Knows.
But I think Saltgrass is on track when linking it to the Windows Update Utility.
Take today for example. I've been up and running for 7 hours without a single sChannel error. But I have not evoked the Windows Update Utility nor has there been any automatic updates, not even defender (yet).

I've had 12 in the last hour.

I agree, no need, nothing served by having a bunch of tiles on Start. Matter fact, Control Panel, is, also, on Rt Clk (WinX) Menu @ botton-left corner.

Not much sense having stuff 'alive & available' if, not really bothering w/ it.

Here the Weather seems alright, except can't get it in Celcius, but, Solitare is not ok today... it was ok.... now, let go of a card, get tossed back to Start :suspicion:

I haven't had any for 2 hours and just did a manual check in Windows Update and up pops the Schannel errors. Four of them a set of 2 and then 2 more.
Joe

Hii Kemical
I am getting this type of message "We couldn't get your developer Licence for Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Please check your internet connection and try again." whenever I try to build metro application from Visual studio 12. However, I am online.

Not saying it will, necessarily, change anything, in this context, but, I sure recommend swapping out the CP for the RP.

Cheers,
Drew

Back