Windows 10 Windows Version Backup in drive C

scrt

Hi,
In my Hd, c:, I have the following folders $winre_backup_partition.marker, windows.old, windows, $windows-WS, $windows-BT.

Can u please tell me which version of windows are they and how to use. Cannot recall when Microsoft created and for which Windows. ie Windows 7, windows 8, or windows 10. Tx

$winre_backup is probably a backup of the recovery partition , Windows.old is the backup of C:\Windows and is only usable for 30 days after an upgrade. $Windows-WS is a temp space for system updates and $windows~BT is where a new build gets downloaded to before an update.
It would require extracting data from any WIM files or look at file versions to possible determine which build they are from, but it's safe to assume if you run the command winver in a command prompt that the files in these temp directories are the previous build from what comes back from winver. You can delete the directories that start with $ and use the disk cleanup utility to remove Windows.old

not to change the subject but on the same realm, been thinking about putting bitlocker on my C: drive which is an SSD M.2 drive.

Can I encrypt it? if so, if my kid jacks up my install, can I reinstall windows over it again?

Yes you can encrypt it and yes you can install over it if something gets messed up. If it's not a business grade device you will either need to use another password or a usb startup key to unlock the drive, make sure you don't loose it. Also if you ever update drivers, firmware or BIOS make sure you suspend bitlocker or you will need to input your 48 character recovery key.

Personally, I don't believe in using encryption on personal computers--there have been so many encryption programs over the years out there promising better security, and they all fall short. 99% of my Customers who encrypt their stuff, inevitably lose the USB key, or Disc with the key, or if they wrote it down on a napkin. it's goodbye to everything they ever had on that computer. :hide::waah: a good Tech might be able to repair it, positive results are 1 in a 100 or more. This is part of a long standing rule many techs have learned, and that is "NEVER EVER USE DATA ENCRYPTION OR DATA COMPRESSION ON WINDOWS BOOT VOLUMES". :noway:

Of course, it's your computer and you can do whatever you want. But, you would be better served by implementing physical security rather than disk encryption. Don't let your kids use your computer; or lock up the room your computer is in. If it's a laptop, lock in a steel file cabinet drawer with a key or combo lock when not in use. Better yet, buy them their own computer(s) and keep them off of yours!! Just saying!

My 2 cents.:shades:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I also like to add you have the ability to save the key to your Microsoft account. So you don't have to lose the key as well.

other than that @BIGBEARJEDI , Great seeing you buddy. Always love your input!

That's true enough! And you could duplicate that by saving to OneDrive, and maybe one other Cloud account such as Dropbox or GoogleDrive, JUST IN CASE.

Good hearing from you too; take care. I always enjoy your questions. Keep em coming!:)
Have a Good weekend!:up:
<<<BBJ>>>

Thank u all for your replies. Neemobeer, I appreciate your response to my question.

"kid jack up my install", simple solution; have another computer for kid use. I do not bother with encrypt due to time and if I want to encrypt, the material should not be encrypted in the computer.

Regarding One drive, cloud, etc. I dislike this feature because I am force to use the internet and what if I cannot access the internet to do a reinstall or recovery due to things like a nasty virus or commercial product doing too much optimizing that destroy my OS. With that nasty, being tired and falling asleep, the computer rebooted nth time and when I awoke in the morning, I discover I lost 2TB of portable USB HD .

Back