Windows 7 "Windows was unable to connect to..."

Faded

Hello,

I bought a brand new laptop and am having issues with the wireless. I have an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN. Whenever I try to connect to most networks, I receive this error message:
"Windows was unable to connect to [Network Name Here]" This happens a lot when I am on my college campus. It connects in certain buildings only, but in others it doesn't work at all, or it decides when it wants to work. I have to use a USB Wireless adapter to connect sometimes, because the built-in wireless does not work. Thank you for your help.
Here is a picture
: NetworkIssue.jpg

You really should, promptly contact the manufacturer or the retailer where you bought it and have them make it right. The issue shouldn't be happening at all, and if the laptop is brand new as you've said and the only way you can get a wireless connection in some places is by using a wireless USB dongle then something isn't right. It could be any number of possible problems from a faulty or failing card to a bad antenna connection, but it's not something you should have to fuss with on a new laptop. Start a trouble ticket immediately with the manufacturer and if they can't resolve it then use the incident number to start the process for a replacement under the provisions of your warranty.

Yes, sorry but truly if a third party USB wireless dongle is out performing the integrated wireless network interface card then it is something that the manufacturer needs to address and resolve to your satisfaction. It may be a known issue that they have already had experience addressing or it could be just a faulty card.
Anyhow, please keep us updated as to your progress and thanks for joining the forums. Hope to continue to see you around.

Sorry for the late update, but I contacted HP. They had me go to the BIOS settings and restore the default BIOS. I think it is working right now,but I will have to check at the college campus tomorrow.

Well, that's good news. Just wondering;
Did they actually have you flash the BIOS with either an updated version, or an older previous version or did they actually just have you go into the BIOS utility and reset it to a basic default setting?

I restarted my computer,tapped the F10 key,brought up the BIOS screen,I pressed F9 to reset to default,then exited screen.But again I am not sure if it is completely fixed yet.

OK, that answers my question. Keep us posted regarding further developements when you're able to check it out on campus.

OK so...the WiFi decides on its own whenever it wants to connect to my home network or any network for that matter.And sometimes when it does connect to the router in my home,it says the signal is lower than it should be,since I'm right nearby.So the HP agent told me to restore the computer to the default factory state.If this does not work,I will have to send it off for repair.What a hassle :frown::-s

OK, keep us posted as to your progress. You should follow up with the HP support suggestions and if that doesn't fix it and it probably won't. Then you need to get it in for repair or replacement.

Okay,my problem is now fixed! Before sending it in for repair, I talked to HP and Intel and they told me to open up the laptop an check the wireless card. It turns out that one of the antennas/cables was unplugged! It was the first thing I noticed when opening the cover. I wonder why this was the case though...maybe someone forgot to plug in the cable or left it loose I guess. Thanks for trying to help me with my problem as well.

Great news. Very glad you were able to resolve your problem. I mentioned a faulty antenna connection in my very first answer and suspected that that might be the case, but couldn't suggest that you open a brand new laptop and potentially void the warranty so it's good that HP suggested it and better that you had the skills to resolve it, many wouldn't even have tried, so congrats. Job well done. And thanks so much for the follow up and updating your thread with the resolution. Thanks for joining the forum and posting your issue here as it may very well benefit other members or visitors with similar issues. Hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back
Top Bottom