Windows 7 Windows7/ Netgear wgi111 USB adapter

cephas

Hi,
Having problems getting a wireless internet connection with W7 64 bit desktop and Netgear WG111 v3 USB wireless adapter.

tried downloading and installing latest w7 drivers from Netgear site. No good!

Tried getting windows to search for latest drivers. It says my driver is most up to date available!

My XP computer connects perfectly with this adapter but when I try W7 it is a persistent no-go!

Any ideas for a most annoying problem?

Hi,

When I use windows xp on my old computer with this adapter I get a perfect wireless connection despite being 20 yards away through several brick walls!
With my new W7 64 bit computer, I do not see ANY networks and so cannot achieve a wireless connection.
Currently, I am using a WIRED Ethernet connection on my new computer to send you this!
I have no problems with this wired connection but wireless appears to be a no-go area at present!

I think what Agent Data was trying to ascertain was a more complete picture of your problem.
What does device manager have to say about the adapter, is there any exclamation marks or down arrows associated with the properties of the adapter?
If you type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter, then select and right click the problem adapter and choose properties, then select the "configure" button is there anything there, under the "advanced" tab that may help, some devices actually have a "radio" on and off control there.
Have you tried uninstalling the associated third party software from netgear, and then open "services.msc" by typing services.msc into the search bar and hitting enter, scroll down to "WLAN AutoConfig" double click and start it and set the startup type to automatic and allow Windows 7 to manage the device?
Have you tried assigning static values for the IPv4 information under the properties of the adapter and seeing if you can ping any other network node inside your network and outside?
According to this, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Netgear%20802.11b%2fg%2054Mbps%20Wireless%20Network%20Adapter&v=Netgear&uid=WG111&l=en-US&pf=6&pi=14&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Network%20Cards&os=64-bit
there is no information regarding the compatibility of that device with Windows 7, but I also know that some people have been able to get it to work, I'm just not exactly sure what they had to do, to get it working and it may be that they used older XP or Vista drivers in compatibility mode, or it may have been that they were successful with 32 bit Windows 7 and not 64 bit Windows 7.
I suppose you could save yourself a lot of headaches by acquiring a device from the Windows 7 hardware compatibility list. Or if you have the patience then perhaps there's a member out there who has the identical device who has a magic bullet that worked for them.

Hi,
Adapter appears to be installed correctly and operating properly according to Device Manager.
Windows when asked to update driver, claims I am already using the most up to date driver!
Tried ncpla.cpl. This just shows my wired connection and is working ok. I am loathe to re-configure a perfectly good wired connection and get cut off completely!

Does anybody know if Labgear have released proper drivers fot Windows7 home premium 64 bit systems, for wg111v3 which actually work?

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you make any changes to your wired connection.
The fact that device manager shows the device working ok, but the network control panel applet (ncpa.cpl) doesn't also show your wireless connection gives me pause.
Check the service console, by typing services.msc into the search box and hit enter.
Scroll down to "UPnP Device Host" double click and start it and set the startup type to automatic and see if that helps.
Do you have the device plugged directly into the computer or are you using a USB Hub or extension cable?
Does the device have any LED lights that are showing any type of activity?
It may be the case that the Netgear wireless device management software is at odds with Windows 7 as I pointed out earlier, some people report some success by uninstalling the device as well as its' associated software, removing the device, rebooting the machine and pointing the new hardware device installation wizard at the drivers folder and not running the Netgear software install. See this link to the netgear forum http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=40264

Hi,
Adapter appears to be installed correctly and operating properly according to Device Manager.
Windows when asked to update driver, claims I am already using the most up to date driver!

so you installed driver version 2.0.0 - just to make sure you got the latest?
please verify installed Win 7 driver is version: 62.1181.1118.2009 ?
Firewall issue?

Answer

Last edited:
Back