Windows 7 Wireless Connection Problems

cgrim29588

Here is my problem when I first connect to my wireless router I get a nearly full signal with 4 bars, but it never stays that way it keeps going back and forth from 4 bars to like 2-3 bars, so what is causing this and how can I fix it so it stay at a constant 4 bar signal?

There are a few reasons for this, but first, click the icon in the notification area. You may see more than one connection there. There is a possibility that you are unwittingly linking to a neighbours connection.
How far are you from the router?

You can see, in my picture, that I have my next door neighbour popping up at certain times of the day. A youngster, about 70 mtrs away.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Use netstumbler to check your channel used and for any other Wireless Access Points using the same.

Place your wireless router centrally and on an upper floor, If you are on a single floor place it as high as possible maybe on top of a piece of furniture.

Position your wireless router as far away as possible from devices that can cause interference with the Wi-Fi signal this includes microwave ovens, cordless phones, intercom systems, baby monitors and halogen lights.

Always change the channel used on your wireless router. Most people never change this and it results in many routers using the same channels. If you have other wireless router signals in your area, change the channel to reduce the chance that you are using the same channel as another Wi-Fi router in your area.

Try to place the wireless router in a location that minimizes the number of walls and hard surfaces (fish tanks, windows, mirrors, metal surfaces) that might interfere with the signal path before it reaches your computer.

Take a look at this useful guide at Link Removed due to 404 Error

Check your router is using the latest firmware.

let us know how it goes :razz:

Use netstumbler to check your channel used and for any other Wireless Access Points using the same.

Place your wireless router centrally and on an upper floor, If you are on a single floor place it as high as possible maybe on top of a piece of furniture.

Position your wireless router as far away as possible from devices that can cause interference with the Wi-Fi signal this includes microwave ovens, cordless phones, intercom systems, baby monitors and halogen lights.

Always change the channel used on your wireless router. Most people never change this and it results in many routers using the same channels. If you have other wireless router signals in your area, change the channel to reduce the chance that you are using the same channel as another Wi-Fi router in your area.

Try to place the wireless router in a location that minimizes the number of walls and hard surfaces (fish tanks, windows, mirrors, metal surfaces) that might interfere with the signal path before it reaches your computer.

Take a look at this useful guide at Link Removed due to 404 Error

Check your router is using the latest firmware.

let us know how it goes :razz:

1) My router is on top of my dads desk in his room since I only live in a 1 story house.
2) Would TV's cause interference? My router is positioned close to a TV.
3) How do I change the channel used by my router? I have a Linksys router.
4) I'll try moving the router to minimize of wall and hard surfices that might cuase interference
5) Thanks for the link and I'll make sure the fireware is up to date, but how do I check it and update it as needed?

1) My router is on top of my dads desk in his room since I only live in a 1 story house.
2) Would TV's cause interference? My router is positioned close to a TV.
3) How do I change the channel used by my router? I have a Linksys router.
4) I'll try moving the router to minimize of wall and hard surfices that might cuase interference
5) Thanks for the link and I'll make sure the fireware is up to date, but how do I check it and update it as needed?

2) yes
3) access your router from your web browser by typing 192.168.1.1 and save as a bookmark in your browser, then if it's still using default settings username:admin password:admin , when logged in your firmware version should be top right of the login page ? Navigate to your wireless settings page and you should be able to change the channel ?
while your in there change your username and password and make sure you make a note of them ?
5) see bullet point 3

can you please post a screenshot of your netstumbler output ?

2) yes
3) access your router from your web browser by typing 192.168.1.1 and save as a bookmark in your browser, then if it's still using default settings username:admin password:admin , when logged in your firmware version should be top right of the login page ? Navigate to your wireless settings page and you should be able to change the channel ?
while your in there change your username and password and make sure you make a note of them ?
5) see bullet point 3

can you please post a screenshot of your netstumbler output ?

Number 3 doesn't work I typed that IP address and I get:
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1.

The IP address posted, is mainly for Linksys routers, and may not be appliceable in your case.

D-Link and Netgear routers use 192.168.0.1.
US Robotics routers use 192.168.123.254,
SMC routers use 192.168.2.1.
Your parents should have the default internal IP address should be provided in documentation, but, as Administartors, they may have changed this during the setup.
You can ping or traceroute through the command panel. The command ping -r 1 will displaythe routers IP address.

There are times when I have a good signal and times when I have a bad signal.

so not solved then :frown:

can you please post a screenshot for all wireless networks with details of the channels and signal strengths found by your network card ?

I'm not sure if it's a function in netstumbler so if you cant find it try Xirrus Wi-Fi ?

2ilfx2x.png

My router is Linksys

Signal Strength

I've been browsing your thread and I have some suggestions:

1. You can try changing your routers antenna for a high gain antenna (Possible on newer model routers) You MAY wish to consider a UNIDIRECTIONAL high gain antenna if your area of coverage is mostly outside the building. (It doesn't have to be unidirectional--just high gain) Most antennas give a 360' degree coverage, which if fine, unless your in a corner. Unidirectional transmit 180 or even 90 degrees.

2. Install a REPEATER.... This device can be placed half way between the router and the location to boost signal strength.

3. Update computer's network adapter drivers (Check your manufacturers website out)

4. If your desktop has an internal network card try using a USB NETWORK ADAPTER instead. USB adapters may work a little better for you.

5. If all this doesn't work for you, try replacing your wireless router and network cards (Newer Routers are FASTER)

6. You might want to consider replacing with extended performance 802.11 devices which operate at twice the speed 108 Mbps. Make sure you buy from a single source, not all different.

Last edited:
Back