Windows 7 DNS connection problems

shadows

Extraordinary Member
Hi there Windowsforum
It's getting a monthly habit to come here to ask for help now,

Lately I have been having problems with my DNS. where it disconnects me from the router.
I run with netcable on my desktop PC, since our provider has abit unstable wi-fi connection, and its been lately I've gotten these funky errors which I do not understand quite what I have done wrong. And tried pretty much every solution now to this issue.
My provider says its my PC that is having some issues, which I can say I don't think its my computer that is doing anything wrong.
They adviced me to do a complete reset of my router, which I did, that never worked, I stopped calling in to give them the information of the problem, because they keep saying I have to reset my router, I have done that 5 times by now in a week now.
For the info: My girlfriends phone / laptop, my phone, our PS3 connects without any issues. And thats through wi-fi connection.

The msg I get and this has been taken out from Event viewer windows 7

The client was unable to validate the following as active DNS server(s) that can service this client. The server(s) may be temporarily unavailable, or may be incorrectly configured. 193.162.153.164 < (my own IP)

The client was unable to validate the following as active DNS server(s) that can service this client. The server(s) may be temporarily unavailable, or may be incorrectly configured. 208.67.222.222 Name resolution for the name dns.msftncsi.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

What shall I do to fix this problem?
I was thinking of getting a new networkscard and see if that helps,but I don't know what to do anyways.

Best Regards René

Last edited:
If your girlfriend and other devices have no problem with wifi the neither should you. Wifi connection quality and reliability is nothing to do with your ISP reliability, it solely down to the local connection between the device and the router itself. To chceck out how your DNS requests are being handled yo should look at your TCP/IP configuration. You can do this by running a cmd command: ipconfig /all.

If you nee help interpreting the output then you may post it back here.

Oops - just realised that the way I expressed, "If your girlfriend and other devices," seems to imply that your girlfirend is a device! Sorry about that lol!

haha no worries patcooke :D
But what exactly must I do with the commands, ipconfig?
I must admit, I never spend time on the configs of my IP or try doing something with my IP.

I would gladly try do the things, but I need to do step by step :)

OK. First you need to get to the Windows Command prompt - Open the Start Menu, click on All Programs, Accessories, and on Command Prompt. You should get a small black window with a "prompt" showing something like C:\Windows\System32 with a flashing cursor at the end. Enter the following command and press enter:

ipconfig > %desktop%\ipconfig.txt

This will list all your TCP/IP configuration and the part after the ">" sign will send it to a text file called ipconfig.txt on your desktop. You can examine the file by double clicking on it and you can get us to check it for your by posting it here.

upload_2017-11-22_14-45-23.png

"Edit I found the txt file."

Attachments

• ipconfig.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
These disconnections happens ramdomly, it can happen while monitoring a bf3 server (Procon), it can happen even when I have turned on my pc or use a simple program such as Photoshop. And I know none of these things should effect my connection at all.

You stated 193.162.153.164 is your own IP, do you mean your public address? You should set your dns to be your gateway address. The router itself should point to your ISP dns servers by default.

Before suggesting something for you to try (apologies if you already understand this in which case you can skip it).

The DNS server is the IP address on the internet of a device which converts a web address (such as windowsforum.com) into an ip address in the format x.x.x.x where each x is a number between 1 and 254. When you enter a URL the server at the DNS will look uo the web address for you. Your DNS server address is currently 193.162.153.164. That is a fixed address which may or may not be always reliable. You can manually change that to the IP address of your router which is 192.168.0.1. When your system passes the url to this address to convert it to an IP address your router (which is NOT a DNS server says, "Don't ask me - not my job!" and it passes the url to a real dns server on your behalf.

What this all comes down to is that you should try changing your DNS server IP address from 193.162.153.164 to 192.168.0.1. Also, Google has a DNS server which your router can use as a reserve DNS server, this is at the IP address 8.8.8.8. This is all done as follows:

Open the Control Panel.

Open up Network and Internet and go to the Network and Sharing Centre.

Click on Change adapter settings on the left hand panel.

This will bring up a list of your network adapters. You should see one called Local Area Connection, click on it and select Properties.

Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on properties.

You will see a number of options including: Obtain an IP/DNS Address Automatically DO NOT ALTER THE IP ADDRESS. Select the option to change the following:

In the Preferred DNS server boxes enter this sequence: 192.168.0.1

In the Alternate DNS server boxes enter this sequence: 8.8.8.8

Check the validate settings upon exit box, click OK, and then Close to finish.

Windows will check the validity of your settings.

Usually random disconnects, if wireless, is probably hardware related. I would say either your wireless card or the access point. How is the signal strength?

The signal stregth is good since its not the wi-fi I'm using, its over netcable I use for my Desktop PC.
We run with 115Mbit / 6Mbit upload.

I will try the IP Edit as posted

It might seem abit odd by asking this question, but after doing the steps I just did under the edit of the IP DNS, should I just give it a couple of days and see what happens?

Last edited:
Can go into device manager, right click the ethernet, properties and see if there are any hardware events? I would also make sure your driver is the most up-to-date and if it is verify there are no problems with the driver on the manufacturer site.

Everything is up to date, I recently updated the Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller (Ethernet)
All hardware such as my motherboard, graphicscard is also updated.

Edit* I will give you guys an update in a couple of days.
I sure do hope your solution works :)

Last edited:
So after a couple of days, I promissed you guys to post an update.
It worked the first day without any problems, now its basicly all over again. Just rebooted my pc 5 times by now and yet the connection keeps doing the disconnection. So now I'm seriously thinking of getting that new networkscard and thinking my networkscard on the motherboard is damaged.

It may be worth noting that in your ipconfig listing your router was set up for DHCP to run on a 24 hour lease which would correspond with one day good running before the problem recurred. It would be worth checking your IP config parameters again to see if anything has reverted on the renewal of your IP assignment lease.

Back