Windows 7 wireless not working

gumbawler

i just installed windows 7 on a newly formatted ahrddrive and all. 1st of all my wireless isn't finding any connecitons at all. for example, i go to search for wireless connections etc, it says none are available. and 2nd of all. i tried installing the new hp windows 7 drivers and it says that my computer is not compatable and gives me an error 6669. can someone please help? thanks a bunch,

gumbawler

i just installed windows 7 on a newly formatted ahrddrive and all. 1st of all my wireless isn't finding any connecitons at all. for example, i go to search for wireless connections etc, it says none are available. and 2nd of all. i tried installing the new hp windows 7 drivers and it says that my computer is not compatable and gives me an error 6669. can someone please help? thanks a bunch,

gumbawler
gumbawler:
You really need to fill out your system specs. See this link and follow the instructions and subsequent links contained therein to get into your setting and provide some information. Link Removed due to 404 Error
Without knowing which HP computer you have I can only guess that perhaps you may have downloaded an executeable form HP that runs a setup program with some type of internal version checker and if that's the case perhaps it is the wrong one or perhaps you can use a utility like 7Zip an extract the executeable and point the driver installation to those extracted files, but if it just extracts a bunch of cab files that isn't going to work either. You probably have other devices in device manager also that may not have the correct current drivers for Win7 and you should probably attend to them as well. We need some helpful information from you in order to provide you with information that's going to be helpful

Computer model = HP Pavilion m9350f
motherboard - asus M4A78- EM (changed from old one)
Harddrive- 500GB SATA
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS
RAM- 8GB DDR3 (the original from the m9350f model)
no firewall or antivirus yet, just installed windows and cant even connect to internet

i have windows 7 build 7600.

i am going to attach a text file as trouble above me asked me to do.

gumbawler:
It looks like you've got a Realtek Ethernet Card integrated on your mainboard, which is evidently working now, since you're on the web. So the wireless device looks like a Ralink RT2790 802.11n 1T/2R miniCard Wireless Network Adapter PCI not sure if there's going to be a Win7 driver for that you can try Googling PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0781 and see if you can do yourself any good. Let me know if you have any, more specific details about the wireless adapter itself

the wireless does not work at all on my computer, it does not even detect any wireless signals. im currently on my brothers laptop which is working through the wireless :/ i have no clue why it''s not picking up anything.

According to Asus's website, that particular motherboard has an integrated lan card and according to the info you sent it confirms it. Do you have an opportunity to plug the ethernet port on the back of the computer into your router and use it that way, perhaps run Windows update, and see what happens

hey, it is still not working :/ i did not plug in my ethernet yet because i would have to move my whole computer to do that. if i do not find a solution i finally will plug in a cable. but i found this, which may or may not be helpful?

**see attached document**

OK, I read that and it did confirm my suspicion that it is indeed a RaLink Adapter. The only other thing that I noticed is that it's not detecting a SSID, that could be because it's not working properly or because your wireless router is not broadcasting a SSID, check that (your wireless router) and make sure that it has a SSID and it's broadcasting it.

well we have three other laptops in the house, and the wireless shows up when you search for a wifi connection. but on my computer when you search nothing pops up.

ok i'll check right now, but it has the right drivers i believe as per the last file right?
No, I'm not sure that that's the case at all. What you see is netr28x.inf, which may be a generic driver which may be providing very limited or no actual functionality at all. Because, I have to admitt, I am not at all familar with Ralink Technology devices, I can not speak to that issue definitively. Perhaps someone else with experience with Ralink products and more specifically your particular card may be able to comment.

Your setup seems to have allocated a memory slot and interrupt to a "PCI express card" but I can see no reference to any particular model of wireless adapapter in your .txt file? What card do you actually have?
Have you looked in the Device manager, under "Network Adapters",to check if the computer is detecting the card? If it is, has it found the correct driver or does it have a yellow marker against it?

If all is correct, and it has, indeed, a fully working network card, then you could try going through the setup procedure again. It is normally not needed but, fwiw:

Click Start , and select Network . The Network window opens.

Click Network and Sharing Center .

The Network and Sharing Center window displays.

Click Set up a connection or network to open the wizard for a router or access point.

Select the connection option Set up a wireless router or access point , and then click Next .

The Set up a home or small business network wizard opens. Click Next .

Wait while the wizard detects the network.

If the wizard fails to find the network, make sure that the router is setup correctly and turned on.

It should not normally be required to enter an ssid. If the option is left blank, it will return the maker name of the router. As you say others are connecting in your house, it is not, in any case, the problem.

Back