Windows 10 Wow, newest updates seem to have messed with Network Adapters

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Anyone interested might trying to enable or disable their network adapters.

It seems there has been some change with KB3047680 or 681 where the Network Adapter dialog window will close if you try to change the status.

Maybe it is just a fluke but a couple of more hours should tell.

Yep.... definitely 681.
I just had the opportunity to try it before and after.
Now as soon as I right click my adapter and select properties, it disappears.
Nice.

I suppose we all remember when they did something like this in an earlier build and we were not able to change any properties, like IP addresses for our adapters.

This is the exact kinda crap they can't afford to have happening.
With everyone up in arms already about not being able to control Windows Updates and possibly even driver updates, through Windows Updates.... this does not bode well.
I can sense the torches and pitchforks being readied.

My Store App does seem to still work. I start it from the All Apps and not the Start Screen or Taskbar.

I saw the suggestion to use the options on the top of the window to make changes to the adapters, which does seem to work. But we still have options which do not work correctly and unless Microsoft has made some announcement about the change, some folks are going to be upset if they don't know a work around.

My Store App does seem to still work
I thought it might have had something to do with the updates, but when I ran the same updates on my VM in Hyper-V the store tile still worked, so....
I guess it must be something else that I'll look into further and see if there's a potential solution out there somewhere for this "new" Store.
I rarely use it, but I got a notice that there was a new Universal Remote Desktop App available in the store so I thought I would try it. That's when I found out it didn't launch at all. Doesn't crash.... just doesn't launch and nothing in event viewer.
wsreset.exe doesn't seem to phase it nor does
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
So woe is me.

On my laptop, which was inactivated and had not been run for a few days, I got all the updates today. I think I know why that reinstall test did not work, probably because I had not registered it in the Insiders program so it did not have a" FlightingOwnerGUID" number associated while it was activated.

I notice the Microsoft Solitaire game has been changed and you may need to register for it now, xBox Live... So they are making some changes to the Store. You might check the Task Manager and see if there is one or more entries for Store already. If there are, try ending the task on a second one or see if you have the option to switch to the one you might see.

On my systems, it seems the Store starts in the background all by itself.

Last edited:
Just checked my network adapters and all seems to be OK. I do have the bug, that by launching the Network Connections and right clicking to get properties, the whole thing vanishes. definitely a bug if you take that route. But I have always, since Windows 7 at least , used the method outlined by Max Green in his second post. Still working for me.
In your post on that page you do state it is the method you have used for 20 years. Well, this is Windows 10, many things are changing, for better or worse. Nevertheless, in essence, this does come over as a bug and I have also done a Me too.

I have no problem with the store. I see your link refers to a message of the 22nd July.
On the 24th, I received a short Email in this regard. I went to the store and a popup warned me that the store was in the process of being updated and breaks should be tolerated for a while.
Regarding the Microsoft collection. One of my favourite time wasters, see my recent post #7, here.
Insider Preview - Lost Features

Dave, if you believe this was an intentional move on Microsoft's part, why did they leave the options to make modifications with the right click.

Secondly, why you go to the top of the window instead of just right clicking??? Many of the ways we do things is because of habit, but loss of efficiency was one of the reasons I never liked Windows 8. So now, they are going to double down and loose more efficiency.

Personally, I think this was just a screw up... Or a precursor of an impending change taking the option away from the user. You know, like the option to refuse updates... As I mentioned earlier, this same situation happened in an earlier build. Microsoft seems to be "sneaking" back to that same situation.

Perhaps you are quoting me out of context? I did not say that I regarded it as an intentional move. In fact, quite the opposite, I have filed a "Me too".
I was referring to the many navigational changes which have occurred, since way back to Vista, merely, as I perceive it, for the sake of change, with no apparent added value. Perhaps, for example, this particular instance is intended with thinking , as they keep telling us, toward multi platforms and touchscreen application. Having access to a touchscreen for the first time, I must admit that I had to ponder a right click for a while.

I am not, in the slightest, being rude, but I have had to change many ways I use a computer over the last 20 years.

Just discovered something else with this update.

Go to "Programs and features" If you have a program there, which you can temporarily lose, try and uninstall it. The only way now is to uninstall through the Settings. Could be a move towards getting rid of the Control Panel.

I don't remember quoting you Dave, but basically your comments seem to be, it does what you contend, but so what...

Again, a UI should be built for efficiency. They have been increasing the efficiency of the UI for as long as computers have been around. These are little things, but when you do something hundreds of times a day, every little bit helps.

I have had my Dell 27 inch touchscreen running under Windows 10. I do see where the touchscreen might need different types of options, and I love my touchscreen. I don't see where your choice is more efficient than mine, even with a touchscreen.

But I have always, since Windows 7 at least , used the method outlined by Max Green in his second post. Still working for me.
You choose to use the alternate method.... or at least that is the way I read this. I usually don't even notice those options because I have no need, or at least I had not before. Hopefully this is just a glitch while some other changes are made.

They have the situation a little more interesting. Now when I right click the Network adapter, not only does the window close, but my taskbar jumps to the top of the screen. ;)

Got a new update, KB3074678.

Back