Xbox 360 Fall 2011 Dashboard Update Previewed

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Following the foot steps of Windows Phone and Windows 8, the 2011 fall update for the Xbox 360 dashboard has been previewed again. Originally shown at E3, many were confused by the new system. Since then, Microsoft has worked fruitlessly on improving the navigation and other things on the new dashboard. They're describing it as "their biggest update since NXE".

The new update is also Kinect oriented but similar to Microsoft's theory with the Windows 8 Metro UI, it will work great with conventional methods (the controller in this case). Internal testing of the update is under way at Microsoft and if past schedules follow through, a public beta should be available sometime in September or October, monitor the MS Connect program for the update here: Xbox LIVE Update | Microsoft Connect.

A quick summary of new features to come: Kinect voice control, Kinect Bing search (not WWW search, some other form) Youtube!, Live TV (some special TV solution, works through pre-existing TV companies), and of course a completed revamped dashboard!

nxe2xmen530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinect is fantastic. The only problem is using it in an enclosed space. If you don't have enough room, you've got to constantly re-align the thing. My living room is such that I have it set up where my ankles end right at the beginning of my couch. So Kinect can not necessarily see my whole body. But it is a great example of a better HID. I predict you will see this technology embedded in other areas in the future. Liked this presentation, but not too excited about Bing :D Was hoping she'd say "NetFlix can already be installed".

Kinect is fantastic. The only problem is using it an enclosed space. If you don't have enough room, you've got to constantly re-align the thing. My living room is such that I have it set up where my ankles end right at the beginning of my couch. So Kinect can not necessarily see my whole body. But it is a great example of a better HID. I predict you will see this technology embedded in other areas in the future. Liked this presentation, but not too excited about Bing :D Was hoping she'd say "NetFlix can already be installed".

There was some talk about that in another post I read earlier. What's your gamertag? I don't play Xbox much anymore but hey, what the heck.

Back
Top Bottom