Windows 10 "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

julioSQV

2016-09-07.png
I have seen this problem reported for windows7 and external flash or USB drive. But I am now talking of Windows 10 and local drive. I'll explain myself: After having backed-up several times my external disc was getting full and i decided the advanced settings "clean up" version. It worked fine I shot the PC down. Next day when restarting I saw that a 96Mb Local disc Z had been created with 70,9 Mb free. Then I went through the usual warnings that have been already reported by other forum members.
<<"You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder."
Upon clicking Continue, another error pops up,
"You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab."
Security tab is an underlined link that opens the properties manager for the drive however there is no security tab>>: I attach a Screen Image of what appears and I certainly don't know what to do and even less why this has appeared. Please help me. Thanks

Sorry I am unable my Print Screen is not working in this instance. It does not capture anything related to Windows Key + X. Can I answer any details?

Windows + x just opens a menu to quickly get to disk management, disk management is what I want to see a screenshot of. You can use the built in snipping tool to take a screenshot.

Never used snipping tool. I took a foto with my mobile and Office Lens
Sorry but I must leave you for now. I am sending from Spain and it's midnight here. I'll be back as soon as possible.

Hi Julio,
It appears that this partition is an EFI System Partition in W10 and it's needed to boot your computer into W10. Here's a link explaining why it needs to be there:What is an EFI system partition?

I believe this partition was always there, and you just stumbled upon the new 100MB drive partition while doing Maintenance on your bootdrive. Since this is a required System Partition needed by W10 to boot windows, it certainly is NOT a good idea to try to clean off files from this partition, defrag them, or lock them, or encrypt them, or compress them!!:noway: You should not be doing anything with this Partition for any conceivable reason.

That being said, we could use a little more information about the computer you are using here on W10. Is this a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc.)? Or is it a self-built PC or custom-built PC you built yourself from parts or paid a professional Tech to build for you? If it's an OEM computer, please provide us with Make/Model. If it's a self-built or custom-built PC, please provide Make/Model of your Motherboard, RAM memory sticks, GPU card, CPU chip, and PSU Make/Model/Wattage.
If you don't have this information handy, get as much as you can and you can download the free SPECCY diagnostic program from piriform.com. Download SPECCY and run it and post the result output text file back here for our further analysis.

Basically, I think you reported something as a problem that's not really a problem, simply part of the normal W10 system file structure that you were unaware of BEFORE. Be advised that W10 has more system partitions than W7 and can up to 12 partitions on your C: bootdrive. If you haven't fooled around with W10 you would most likely be unaware of this.:wink:

In any case, I noticed also that you appear to have a secondary hard drive in your computer, the D: drive, and from what we see we cannot tell if it's an internally connected drive (one that connects to a connector port physically on the Mobo via SATA, eSATA, etc. or via a USB port). In either case, I would recommend that you disconnect that 2nd drive from your computer, and make sure that W10 boots ok. If it does, you can power down, and reconnect that drive to your computer and everything should continue working normally.:up:

Best, :nerdie:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

If it were the ESP it would be assigned the letter Z in disk management. It's strange that Z isn't showing up because it should. Do this and post the results.
  • Open an elevated command prompt and type diskpart
  • Type list disk
  • For each disk listed type select disk # followed by detail disk post the output for this
  • Repeat for each disk

Thanks to both Neemobeer and BigbearJedi. I am afraid that I can only answer BigbearJedi because I am running out of time for the moment. I bought my Lenovo T430S July 2015. It is second hand and it had already W10, possibly had been W8 before. It has only 3 USB ports. In one I plug the bluetooh control for an external keyboard and mouse, in second I plug my printer, in the third I plug a USB 4 position adaptor where normally I plug one Toshiba 500Gb and one Toshiba 1Tb for backup. The Toshiba 500GB is where all my current files are, and I take from on PC to the other. Lenovo has also a DVD player which I rarely use
08-09-2016 9-03, Office Lens.jpg

There we go, it's strange the Z didn't show up in disk management. So Z is in fact the ESP as bbj stated. The ESP has very restrictive permissions on it which is why you can't access it and rightly so. You should definitely not mess with this partition. I would suggest removing the letter assignment to it.
  • From an elevated command prompt
  • Type diskpart
  • Then select the disk with select disk # where # is the drive with C and Z on it
  • You can verify you selected the correct one by typing list vol and you should get the 4 volumes C,Z and the no letter volumes
  • Now select Z with select vol 3
  • Remove the letter with remove letter=z
  • The drive should not be visible anymore in "This PC"

You're welcome. :) Hope this resolves your problem. Great job posting those screen shots for us.:up: That really helps!!

We're looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers!:teeth:
BBJ

Well surprise, surprise. When I restarted my PC today I noticed that Z disk had disappeared. I then checked with the command diskpart and the results where not like those obtained yesterday. There is probably an explanation for all this but I enclose photo so that you can see by yourself. By the way disk 3 shown is the HP printer USB device. So I guess the problem is settled and I want to thank both of you BBJ and Neemobeer for your support. I still have a couple of intriguing issues with W10 and I shall certainly be back very soon about them
09-09-2016 20-03, Office Lens.jpg

Back