Windows 7 2nd partition not showing in BIOS boot selection.

ztplru

Extraordinary Member
Hi,

Have an Asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT.

I created another ntfs partition on my ssd C: drive. It is is to install Linux Lubuntu.

My idea for a 2nd OS is purely for rescue purposes so i can access internet from lubuntu and try to fix windows or reinstall it without having a dedicated usb with it for this purpose.

But when i go to BIOS boot options the partition doesn't show up. Tried a few things with no success.

As i don't want to screw things up; is this what i need?
How to Create a Bootable Partition with DiskPart (Windows Embedded CE 6.0)

Last edited:
Which Linux distro are you going to install? Linux doesn't use ntfs. You'll want to delete the extra partition and just leave it empty. Boot into your Linux installer and there should be an "Install along side Windows" option. Then select the empty space and it should handle the rest.

Which Linux distro are you going to install? Linux doesn't use ntfs. You'll want to delete the extra partition and just leave it empty. Boot into your Linux installer and there should be an "Install along side Windows" option. Then select the empty space and it should handle the rest.

Updated the OP not to mislead and waste time to other readers.

I'l try what you said! But doing it will make the partition show at the Bios option?
Check image!
View media item 715

No, BIOS doesn't recognize partitions

Duhhhhhh! Sorry but how will i choose Lubuntu instead of windows?
My desktop has a button that switches to another OS.

Will check if it works after your reply and after i do the setup.

When you select a hard drive the boot process get's handed off to the boot loader on the hard drive. When you install a Linux distro it will install the grub boot loader which will allow you to select either Windows or Linux to boot up

When you select a hard drive the boot process get's handed off to the boot loader on the hard drive. When you install a Linux distro it will install the grub boot loader which will allow you to select either Windows or Linux to boot up

Thanks for giving me a solution!
It worked after i shrinked 10GB. With 5GB lubuntu was pointing to my D: drive.

The 2nd OS is purely for rescue purposes so i can access internet from lubuntu and try to fix windows or reinstall it without having a dedicated usb with lubuntu for this purpose.

Any idea why i CAN boot windows on both /sda1 & /sda2 ? Why do i have 2?

PB060001.JPG

Last edited:
It can be added using uefiedit. Which is relatively trivial

Although GNU Grub does the job i would prefer to select the partition whenever i need it and leave the rest as it always has been; booting windows 7 by default without waiting!

I'l look into uefiedit, thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom