Windows 7 32bit vista home premium to win 7 64bit?

cheryld

Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to upgrade from vista home premium 32bit to windows 7 64bit? I have an Acer Aspire notebook. My computer came with windows vista already installed. I cannot get the 64bit windows 7 disk to boot so I can select custom install like the instructions say. ANY help appreciated. Cheryl

Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to upgrade from vista home premium 32bit to windows 7 64bit? I have an Acer Aspire notebook. My computer came with windows vista already installed. I cannot get the 64bit windows 7 disk to boot so I can select custom install like the instructions say. ANY help appreciated. Cheryl

Why won't it boot? Did you set your boot priority in you bios to start with the DVD ? Do you know how to get to your bios menu?

Yes, I changed it to my dvd drive in the bios. But my C drive overrides it and goes into 32bit vista. Thanks for any more help. Cheryl

Yes, I changed it to my dvd drive in the bios. But my C drive overrides it and goes into 32bit vista. Thanks for any more help. Cheryl
The only reason for what you're seeing at this point if your BIOS is set to boot first to the DVD is that your disk isn't bootable.

So just to make sure:

1) You have a .iso file?
2) You burned the .iso file to a dvd-r or dvd-rw?
3) You switched your BIOS so dvd-cd option was 1st and hdd was now 2nd?

I have my windows 7 upgrade disk home premium. I used easy transfer to back up my fies to usb flash drive. Bios is set. When I select setup on the 64 bit disk manually, it says will not run on 32 bit system. What are the steps for a clean install? I guess thats what I need. How hard is a dual boot to do? No instructions to do these things. ANY help is appreciated. Cheryl

Ok, well i'm just gonna give you instructions from the beginning. This is how I "clean installed"

1. From within Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional upgrade.
2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\)
5. Downloaded this file and placed it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/gen...d-l-oscdimg.zip
6. Bought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso (type this in manually, copy and paste will mess it up)
7. Burned ISO with ImgBurn (freeware)
8. Booted, installed, and activated (Make sure BIOS is set to have the cd-dvd number 1 and the hd number 2)

How does this work if I already have the 64 bit home premium disk? Don't need to download anything? Thanks for trying to help me. I'm kind of new to this stuff. Do you know how to do a dual boot? Then I would have 32-bit vista and 64-bit win 7? Is that possible? Thanks again.

Cheryl, you can try what worked for me yesterday. Put the Windows 7 64 bit DVD in the drive, then reboot. As it starts to boot, hit F12 a few times until you get to the boot menu. From there, select the option to start from the CD-Rom drive. Then it should say something like "press any key to boot from the cd-rom drive". As soon as you see that immediatley press any key. Then it should start loading and you should get the option for the custom install. Good luck.

When your computer starts and you press F2 or whatever ...to go into your bios... go to the boot priority and put you dvd first and just remove everything else.... the disk should boot and go into setup and copy files... when it reboots you can go back into your bios and put your hard drive in first boot. If you aren't watching it will just try go to the instal menu of the disk and sit there.

Back