Windows 7 A computer with Windows 7

Terobero

Firstly, I don't didn't know which sub-forum to post this so I posted it here.
I want a laptop computer with Windows 7.

I'm currently using Vista (for 7-8 years) and it can't handle most new generation things.

What computer I can buy that has good specs but not so expensive?
Probably not over $1000.

You'll have to buy something that's used of course. If you are buying online you have to be careful where you buy it, especially on ebay as there has been a trend of selling used laptops there without the Operating System (Windows), and the price looks suspiciously low.

Best laptops made in 2009, when Win7 came out are Dell and Samsung. As far as specs, you'll need to tell us what you are going to use the laptop for such as Gaming (not recommended), E-mail, social media, Graphics design (such as Auto-CAD), web research (google, bing), entertainment news, reading newsgroup feeds (RSS), or programming/web-design. There are hundreds of uses for computers, laptops especially, so that would be helpful. Post back how you intend to use it and which types of applications you are planning on using them for. Win7 laptops in decent shape can be had for $150-$500 or so. That should be in your price range. Use of graphics-intensive applications often requires both high-performance CPU chips and GPU chips (Graphics) and lots of RAM. 2 of these or all 3 of these will really drive the price up hundreds of dollars.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

You'll have to buy something that's used of course. If you are buying online you have to be careful where you buy it, especially on ebay as there has been a trend of selling used laptops there without the Operating System (Windows), and the price looks suspiciously low.

Best laptops made in 2009, when Win7 came out are Dell and Samsung. As far as specs, you'll need to tell us what you are going to use the laptop for such as Gaming (not recommended), E-mail, social media, Graphics design (such as Auto-CAD), web research (google, bing), entertainment news, reading newsgroup feeds (RSS), or programming/web-design. There are hundreds of uses for computers, laptops especially, so that would be helpful. Post back how you intend to use it and which types of applications you are planning on using them for. Win7 laptops in decent shape can be had for $150-$500 or so. That should be in your price range. Use of graphics-intensive applications often requires both high-performance CPU chips and GPU chips (Graphics) and lots of RAM. 2 of these or all 3 of these will really drive the price up hundreds of dollars.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Is there a way to determine that it has Windows installed or not?

IMO I would go with Windows 10. Windows 7 is already difficult to update since Microsoft changed the update process. You have to look for the updates in the update catalog to apply them. The other reason I wouldn't go with Windows 7 is it will be EOL (End Of Liife) in a little over 3 years. If you continue to use it past that time, your risk of compromise will go up exponentially even if you try and "be safe on the internet". Windows 10 still has some hiccups here and there, but it has matured pretty well since launch.

Is there a way to determine that it has Windows installed or not?
>>>The best way is to ask the seller! In my experience having been an ebay seller for 11 years now, is to look in the ad listing or the detail. If you don't see the version of Windows listed; such as Windows7, Windows7 Pro, Windows8.1, Windows8.1 Pro, Windows10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, etc. chances are it doesn't come with Windows. On ebay or amazon sites, you are restricted to communicating with the seller via E-mail which is an very imprecise communications method. However, ebay does allow you to ask the seller for a phone number to contact them if you are not satisfied with their answer, or are confused over what you will be actually getting for your money. Amazon rules I'm not as sure about. If the seller refuses to give you their number, I've offered my phone number in a private E-mail to the seller, and sometimes they will call you if they are really interested in your business; or it's an individual really strapped for cash that is motivated to sell his computer, he'll take the time and effort to call you and answer all your questions including whether or not the computer in question has Windows pre-installed on it and what version of Windows (exactly) they have on it. Bear in mind too, if you do run into a seller that is selling a PC without Windows installed is violating the Microsoft Windows EULA (License Agreement) by doing so--it's actually illegal!:pirate: This is why sneaky sellers purposely don't list the Windows and the exact version of Windows will be installed on the computer you are buying--that's because they don't have it! :headache:
This is yet another reason why I prefer to buy used or refurbished computers through a retail store, brick-and-mortar building, since if there is a glaring omission such as no Windows OS installed, you have recourse because you can drive to the store and confront the Store Manager or Owner to get a full refund (Cash or Credit Card) or at the least a Store Credit, Gift Card, or perhaps an exchange. Having worked in retail computer stores for 5 years, I can tell you the one thing that Managers/Owners cannot abide is a dissatisfied and loud Customer coming into their store with an issue like this!!:confused: It tends to drive all the other Customers away from purchasing any computers or even accessories there if they don't perform good Customer Service skills and take care of you and your problem! Think about that when you are going to buy your next computer online. Hope that provides some insight for you.:nerdie:<<<

Best,:encouragement:

<<<BBJ>>>

Okay, I'll wait more months to collect more money. Maybe old computers will also be cheaper in the future.

Back
Top Bottom