Windows 10 Acer Aspire M3-581TG DVD drive not working since Windows 10 upgrade

almightymat

Hi there,

I recently installed Windows 10 on my 3-4 years old Acer Aspire laptop, and after fixing the wifi and bluetooth drivers problems I've just found that my DVD drive no longer works!

It shows up in My Computer, Device Manager etc and has power and makes whirrs, but it won't read any discs, DVD or CD.

Is it an issue with the driver in Windows 10? I upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit, jumping straight over Windows 8 and 8.1...I've spent about 10 hours googling this and similar faults and I give up, its time to ask for help!
16x16_smiley-happy.png

Incidentally I never thought to check the Acer website for a list of Windows 10 upgrade supported computers (which my fast laptop was not on, despite not being very old) given that Microsoft said that my device could take the upgrade, as I bet many people didn't - why would you? This list of basic failings is getting annoying enough that I might just roll back to WIn7....

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Mat

Microsoft said that my device could take the upgrade
yes well Acer says not and I know who I trust more

the bottom line is supported options are 7, 8 or 8.1 (all 64 bit) once you step outside that you are on your own

as for the dvd it could be hardware, driver or region code mismatch (a type of Microsoft driven sercurity lock)... you can test the hardware by replacing it but there is no workaround for the drivers... a usb dvd is the cheapest option ime as windows 8 and above have moved away from disc but retain the option to use iso files

Back